Audi S3 - Stroker Big Turbo build.

Some progress was made this evening.

I removed the VVT solenoid and took out the pin that controls the oil flow. The idea was to get the tensioner to work as a non VVT tensioner.
Started the car at a high rpm cold start, slight misfires but dint stall, the engine warmed up.
I have cleaned out the VVT oil passage and installed the pin again. I will try a cold start in the morning. It if turns out to misfire and stall, I plan to "hotwire" the VVT solenoid with direct power and see if that helps with things.

Maybe the VVT solenoid has had it and doesn't have enough juice to push the spring loaded pin.

to be continued............

How can you afford to drink that side hahahahah gold plated rims are cheaper!

I think you should move back to SA and send all your parts here so we can build a beast this side and set a bench mark

How can you afford to drink that side hahahahah gold plated rims are cheaper!

I think you should move back to SA and send all your parts here so we can build a beast this side and set a bench mark

Its not often I go out, but when I do I have to take a bank loan :(

So the OEM valve train is back in the car and it started at a cold start high rpm and didn't miss a beat. No idea what is the issue with the supertech stuff. Still haven't driven the car yet, as drive shafts aren't tight, the bumper is still off and no headlights. Hopefully soon it will be on the road, although only revving to 7500 :(

Wth!? What is the supertech stuff? What you think the issues are?

Full supertech valve train - valves, keepers, springs, retainers.

I have no idea what was causing the issue. The valves are the same length as oem valves and the installed valve height measurement is the same for the OEM and supertech valves.

All the valves were seated correctly and they had been lapped in 3 times over the last 2 years.

Going to contact supertech and see what they have to say.

1st engine ( spun rod bearing ) - it had OEM valve train in AEB head - ran as normal
2nd engine - changed valve train to Supertech on the rebuild using the same AEB head - Misfires from day one.
3rd engine ( latest engine ) - Supertech valve train and misfires from day one. Now has OEM valve train and running as normal.

valves open and close. unless there's leaking or non-closure for a.n.other reason kinda hard to find a cause of blame for a valve

Are they leak free? You checked this?

Springs/retainers? Are these single groove or tripple.. Supertech retainers used?

All parts in the valve train were supertech.
Inlet valves
Exhaust valves
Single groove keepers
Inlet Springs
Exhaust dual springs
Titanium retainers
Exhaust spring seats
Even supertech valve stem seals - I like the blue :)
OEM hydraulic lifters

I dont think its a valve issue, I think its a spring issue. Only saying that as once the engine stalled, I did a compression test and 2 cylinders were 0 compression. Had terrible visions of broken piston rings :(
Then 10-15min after leaving the engine to sit, I checked the same cylinders and they had compression.

I have the cat cams in the engine now.

My thinking is the ST valve springs are dodgy and with the high oil pressure at cold start, the hydros are causing the spring to compress and keep the valve open a tiny bit.
I don't know if this is even remotely possible but I can't think of any other reason the ST valve train would be causing the misfire issue.

Took the bumble biatch out for her maiden voyage on it new engine. Didn't go very far, probably about 10km. All went well and its amazing to get in, start the car and drive :)

Bought a new gear know for bumbles 3rd birthday/heart transplant - hope it fits :)

You want to touch it!!!!

Need to find a place that can measure the spring pressure but I am thinking about getting an IE spring set and use the supertech valves as I cant see how the valves would be the issue.

My parts guru in the US runs a stroker 20v and he is using oem intake valves, ferrera exhaust valves and IE valve springs. He has a mk4 drag car and says he has never had an issue with his setup.

Took the bumble biatch out for her maiden voyage on it new engine. Didn't go very far, probably about 10km. All went well and its amazing to get in, start the car and drive :)

Bought a new gear know for bumbles 3rd birthday/heart transplant - hope it fits :)

Any pics of this fitted to your car?

Any pics of this fitted to your car?

Not at the moment, but the knob part is a perfect fit. However the leather gaiter is a bit large around the bottom and needs to be trimmed a bit to get it to fit the gear level bezel.

The car is collecting dust at the moment, while things get upgraded and hopefully sort out this "limp mode" boost pressure issue.

IMG 6314

Have considered buying that gearknob over the 8P one...wasn't sure on the feel of it though as it sort of resembles a meat hammer lol

It is smaller in diameter than the standard one. Feels weird when you first start using it, but that's to be expected when touching another knob :love struck:

Its going to be interesting when I drive the car in the summer, as the temperature inside a car parked in the sun can easily get to 60deg C and that aluminium is going to be hot - I might have to buy some gaylord sparco racing gloves :lmfao:

Reactions: ShaunS3, StaceyS3 and superkarl
yeah that was a slight online purchasing error. On the plus side the maf housing looks like it might line up to the OEM airbox, which I need to use for the annual road inspections.

DIY COIL PACK WIRE HARNESS

My plan is to run the coil pack harness in the front of the engine cover, so have to build a new harness as an OEM replacement harness wouldn't work as the wire lengths would be the opposite way round.

So I noted down the OEM wiring and colour codes.
Coil Pack Pin Output
Pin 1 - Blue/Red ( common across all 4 coil packs )
Pin 2 - Brown ( common across all 4 coil packs )
Pin 3 - Signal ( colour coded as per coil pack )
Pin 4 - Black ( common across all 4 coil packs and earthed to the valve cover )

Signal wires
Cyl 1 - Pink
Cyl 2 - Blue/White
Cyl 3 - Red/White
Cyl 4 - Green/White

I bought a few pin connectors and coil pack plugs.

Assembled the coil pack wiring. My wire colour coding doesnt match the OEM wires but I know which in is which.

I plan to run the coil pack harness towards the cambelt then down and underneath the fuel rail. I will fit another deutsch 8 pin connector under the fuel pressure regulator. This will allow the OEM wire harness to connect to the new coil pack harness.

Reactions: superkarl, g60leigh and StaceyS3
some changes........ to be painted black soon

Finally got the .64 vband hotside

Reactions: g60leigh
Do you remember that mission impossible movie when Tom Cruise was running away from the sand storm???

Well that happened here last week :(
IMG 6381
IMG 6382

dont bother with black paint, just a bucket of water and a cloth will work lol

Reactions: <tuffty/>
I think I would give up owning a car and walk... that would kill me lol

<tuffty/>

Reactions: AdzA3AGU
Standard air box for annual inspections??? Please expand on this as surely your huge inlet and turbo matter more lol

For a country that is mostly desert, they have a lot of car wash stations and they always busy. Thats a lot of wasted water!
My S3 mostly collects dust as my daily is more suited for abuse
IMG 6304

They will fail your car for having "open air filters" - so I fit the stock airbox and engine cover to make it look as stock as possible.
Then the turbo gets wrapped in about 3 oem K04 heat shield blankets and an Audi TT plastic under try gets fitted. The inspectors are not that smart, they know its a 4 cylinder turbo car and I am a bit lucky as there are only 4 Audi S3's in the country. So they not to sure what the engine is meant to look like, even though its the same as a TT engine and there's a lot of TT's here.
Anything bling looking will attract attention then they start to look deeper.
So far black paint and lots of dust seems to be working :)

Reactions: A3-Lee and Lavis89
Why haven't you got a 4.8 patrol with the biggest turbo known to man?? Isn't that compulsory there??

2000 hp big turbo patrols are for pussy's.

These are where its at ..................