S3 vs RS3

George Abouzolof

Reaction score
Alright fellas, wondering if anyone can shed some light on the below.

An S3 2010 produces 261 BHP with 258 lbs/ft and does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Where an RS3 2010 has 335 BHP with 184 lbs/ft and does 0-60 in 4.6.

I always thought that the higher the tourqe the better the acceleration so why does the RS3 have less tourqe but still accelerate faster than the S3? Now I obviously know the RS3 has significantly more BHP but I thought that was only to do with top speed?

Hi mate,

Can’t answer the technical bits but that is not the Torque on an RS3.

They are 340bhp with 331 lb-ft, and also have a better/faster 7 speed box

RS3 has flatter torque curve too and for longer vs S3.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

your figures are wrong, an RS3 produces 354 lbs/ ft , not 184 as you state

Engines will produce a toque and bhp figure and one can be traded at the expense of the other so higher bhp will usually mean less Torque but over a longer rev range. Higher torque will mean more power but less bhp so over a shorter rev range.
Thus a diesel with high torque and lower bhp will produce more power but in a narrow rev range.

Audi V6 3.0 diesel Max power 242bhp @ 4500rpm Max torque 368lb ft @ 1400rpm
Audi V6 3.0 petrol Max power 295bhp @ 5250rpm Max torque 324lb ft @ 2900rpm

In short the higher BHP will have a higher spread of power however high Torque will have a small spread of power and thats the reason things like the new Q7 have an 8 speed gearbox to keep it in its narrow power band.

A lot of these figures are pretty meaningless in comparison as they are engine output and dont take into account the weight of the car, the gearing or drag , even tire size will effect the way engine power is translated to the speed of the car. BHP is the power output of an engine measured at the crank and is only a small part of the performance equation. its more about power to weight ratio and in tuning its always way cheaper to shed weight than increase power
There you go, clear as mud

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and nluk100
Cheers for the info guys, I got my figures from autotrader so I’m surprised they are wrong! Just checked google and you are right