Maybe another slight engine tweak...

Got Brakes?

69d62681.jpg

P zeros... monsieur Wellington... pushing the boat out!

So, standard brakes, and I'm still here.... which is a bonus. Aside from the running gear issues in the car - all seems to be well.

She's due a service in the next few weeks, and I have an annoying problem with my downpipe catching on the prop, however this simply needs be removed and refitted. Need to get her up on the ramps and have a check around underneath as well to be fair - I have a habit of destroying prop shafts...

Will try and get some video footage of performance...

Na, DP out on mine as it is now is easy mate, unbolt the V Band and simply pull out! I think the turbo position of the FP may differ slightly from the PE, so it may need a strategic dent.

Got a new gasket ready for when I finally get round to doing it...

would be interested to see how well your car performs against a stock rs4 b5 !!

I think it would be the other way round... a stock b5 rs4 performs against wellys , i would hazard a guess at seeing a blurred black and yellow thing in your front screen...

Did I say murder? I meant slaughter ;)

Welly, are the figures in your sig for the current turbo? I would have thought you would have had more torque!!!

Fred, you love the torque now don't you? I'm sure if Welly wanted lots of torque, he would have bought a Derv.

Did I say murder? I meant slaughter ;)

Welly, are the figures in your sig for the current turbo? I would have thought you would have had more torque!!!

Only running 26 PSI boost dude - don't see the point in raping the nuts off the turbo. I'm not sure the drive train can take much more at the current time anyway.

Plus, this way when I get bored I can up the boost! :D. That way we can see what another 4 PSI gives us.... lol

Get some wayhay boost* on!!

*(Trademark of Bill)

i never said it wouldn't be faster lol - i said i'd be interested !

at what RPM does the turbo kick in now? if you floor it in 6th gear doing about 50mph does it go anywhere?

i never said it wouldn't be faster lol - i said i'd be interested !

at what RPM does the turbo kick in now? if you floor it in 6th gear doing about 50mph does it go anywhere?

Yes, it's surprisingly good during lag actually but that's because it runs a bag and a half of timing to make it pull reasonably well off boost. It doesn't pull brilliantly, but it's not like the foot goes down and nothing happens.

It is sh*t obviously by comparison to when the blower starts singing, and that does come in late.

That said, you just drive to accommodate it. I wouldn't put my foot down at 50 in 6th. I'd knock it down into third and hurt it.

I will say that a discussion about lag will be pointlessly inconclusive as to determining if one car is faster than another... having a big turbo myself I can say that its 'laggier' than Danes RS4 but... its all about getting in the right gear and knowing how to drive the car in the power band...

<tuffty/>

I will say that a discussion about lag will be pointlessly inconclusive as to determining if one car is faster than another... having a big turbo myself I can say that its 'laggier' than Danes RS4 but... its all about getting in the right gear and knowing how to drive the car in the power band...

<tuffty/>

LOL - exactly. :)

based on that graph you need to drive yours above 4.5k to avoid bad lag?

are you able to do anything to increase the torque at higher rpms? because from what i see you are not loosing boost (on the red line any ways)

Correcto - but there are good points to that as well.

It's no worse on fuel now than it was with the hybrid as it's not winding up all the time, it's very easy to drive with your eco hat on. Even though it's not very eco.

are you able to do anything to increase the torque at higher rpms? because from what i see you are not loosing boost (on the red line any ways)

but that just means it drives normally at sensible revs and means you drop 1 gear to get into the powerband. not the biggest of deals in something this quick. Relatively decent mpg under 4k revs as well i'd imagine (i'll beat you all to the 'if he wanted mpg he would have bought a derv' comment)

in 6th gear what does the s3 red line at? i think the rs4 red lines at 186mph

would be interesting to do a rolling run from say 50 / 70 / 90 in an equal ratio gear to see the difference

Not really, it just seems to be a characteristic of this engine. If you look at the mustard yellow line, that was the previous turbo, the PE1820. That follows the exact same torque line as well, al-be-it less. That turbo made less boost towards red line.

I have my suspicions that the small port inlet manifold may be choking the airflow at that point - something I plan to change one day.

in 6th gear what does the s3 red line at? i think the rs4 red lines at 186mph

would be interesting to do a rolling run from say 50 / 70 / 90 in an equal ratio gear to see the difference

Not sure as my red line is 1000 RPM higher than OEM.

Not sure as my red line is 1000 RPM higher than OEM.

i think an s3, from memory does about 50mph at 2,000rpm in 6th gear, i may be wrong, so that means your red line is at 200 mph lol

i think an s3, from memory does about 50mph at 2,000rpm in 6th gear, i may be wrong, so that means your red line is at 200 mph lol

Have been off the clock a few times -and not been close to the red line so quite possibly. However I would not want to strain standard valves and springs for a long period at over 7K.

That has got bang written all over it!

i reckon a standard rs4 b5 would do you from 70 to 150mph if BOTH cars were in 6th gear, defo from 50, i doubt from 70, but the only real advantage you have is weight, which doesn't really count for much at high speeds

what runs did you try with danes?

i reckon a standard rs4 b5 would do you from 70 to 150mph if BOTH cars were in 6th gear, defo from 50, i doubt from 70, but the only real advantage you have is weight, which doesn't really count for much at high speeds

Yeah, I suspect you may be right. The lag does play a big part, but then again, when you bolt a big turbo to a 1.8 engine then that is what you have got to expect.

However the above doesn't really make much odds to be fair. The reason being that I wouldn't ever be in that situation. I would drop down 3 gears and wave bye bye. A smart car would be quicker off the lights as there is no messing about with clutch, you just plant it (I know!!). However, that is also irrelevant.

what runs did you try with danes?

Flat out driving like knobs. Dane's is 466 BHP.

but the only real advantage you have is weight, which doesn't really count for much at high speeds

Weight and near enough 40bhp. A B5 RS4 would more then likely out-brake welly, and probably out-handle it as well, but that's another matter