1.8L T vs. S3

pJay10

Reaction score
Hi everyone, about 6 months back I made the proud purchase of an 8L 1.8L T 3 Door... And I love it. At the moment I'm trying to upgrade my sound system with Rainbow audio, but now I'm in a Dilemma! When I was looking for my audi I always wanted an S3 but there were none in my price range or they had to many Kms. So settled with the 1.8T one. Now there are some S3's in my price range for sale so I'm wondering if I should try and sell this 1.8t before I start doing any mods and upgrade to the S3 or keep my 1.8t and do the mods to it. Which car is better?

If I go down the path of selling, are there any cheap things I can do to increase the resale price?

Thanks!

If you're in a position to buy the S3 now, and havn't started modifying the 1.8T yet, I'd say sell up and buy the S3 mate.

You can spend the price difference on modding your A3, and make it as good as an S3 easily, but you won't have the aggressive looks, bigger turbo, or 4wd.

If you were any further down the line I'd say keep the 1.8T and go nuts, but as you've not yet reached that slipperly slope, I'd move onto the S3 and start with a better base.

Ive had both,problem was i was trying to upgrade my a3 so much,to make it look better,and closer to an s3,at one point it had full s3 leather and wheels.i lost 6 grand when i came to sale,but that's car's and what we spend on them,i do think the a3 handel's wel though and it is really the same car,don't get me wrong i fell in love as soon as i drove the s3,but depends what money you have and what you want,you could have a quicker lighter a3?

Just name the time and place guys and I'm there!

(unless it's raining, in which case; I'm washing my hair)

Reactions: liquids3

does it even get traction in the dry? mines judt got a dcat and chip and cone filter and when i took it for a drive with the haldex fuse out it just lights up the wheels as soon as boost comes on even in 3rd........................and in 4wd i can pull off at 5k rpm with not much wheel spin

woking rob:1532129 said:

does it even get traction in the dry? mines judt got a dcat and chip and cone filter and when i took it for a drive with the haldex fuse out it just lights up the wheels as soon as boost comes on even in 3rd........................and in 4wd i can pull off at 5k rpm with not much wheel spin

It's all about part throttle when pulling off in fwd.....otherwise ill be sitting on the line in a cloud of smoke for a good 10 minutes

Thanks everyone! I think I just got all the convincing I need! I might spend the next couple of weekends making it look nice then see what I can get for it. I'll take my Rainbow out and put in some cheaper stuff when I sell it I think. It's got a couple of little issues as well that need fixing. For example it's got that same starter motor scream problem that seems pretty common, one of the belts is a bit noisy and rattles sometimes and the suspension is a bit squeaky. Can anyone point me in the right direction for fixing these?

plenty of traction in the dry man :) on good tyres you can use all of it even in second.

It's all about the way it's mapped to deliver the power. You stage 1 will have a massive BANG of torque low down which feels really punchy, mine's mapped to be progressive and linear, torque peaks at 6k, and power keeps on rising all the way to the rev limiter

A3>S3 everywhere.

Faster, cheaper, better MPG, less to insure, lower servicing costs.

The S used to stand for slow, turns out it stands for snob ;)

/discussion.

:p

Oh god he's back!!! :jester:

<tuffty/>

ha ha! i was reading this thread waiting for jardo to have is say, at least it's still civilised for the moment!

as much as i hate to admit it (as i now own an S3) I agree with the majority of what he has to say tho. The main advantages of the S3 being that it's a more prestigious car in general, bulkier looks, nicer interior etc etc and I'd rather been seen in an S3 any day, goes with out saying.

also, all this talk about 4wd and the wet, this guy lives in brissy guys. It aint called the sunshine coast for no reason! You'll rarely see the advantages of 4wd round your parts mate... And prawns comment about the bigger turbo, is it really that much of an advantage when in also comes with an extra few 100 kg's to lug about? Surely all it means is later spool!?

S3 is good value these days there's on carsales for 14k and another one on ebay for 11k with Apr stage 1

I tried to do the same but it's hard to sell the a3 you should come on to ozaudi