Tdi vs t

woofdog

Reaction score
I've had a few tdi's over the years 100 110 and 130s, looking to get the mrs a new mota, was looking at the a3 1.8t or the 2.0t but as I've never owned one, was wondering how they drive compared to the tdi's. people who've owned both.. Pros and cons etc... The petrols seem cheaper but you propably spend a bit more on juice..

If its economy above all things, TDI it must be. Petrol is obviously more refined and has a wider rev range. The price cost of petrol over derv doesn't really offset the improvement in economy and range you get from going TDI for 8L's, in more modern cars, maybe it's closer with their newer small capacity forced induction engines. But then, there's a premium to pay for buying a TDI, which you kind of get back come resale time.

Cheers for that.

The tdi's are indeed amazing on fuel and great performance but they do have their gripes, every one I've owned has had issues of some kind, many starting issues and some kind of annoying lights on the dash that can be expensive to sort. Go through clutches like a knife through butter..
How about this, 3 best and worst things about the 2.0turbo?

I was facing the same dilema when buying my A3
1.9tdi asz 130hp vs 1.8t 150hp.
May be a stupid question, but if ignoring the economy as stock which is faster? (need to hear some opinions)

I was facing the same dilema when buying my A3
1.9tdi asz 130hp vs 1.8t 150hp.
May be a stupid question, but if ignoring the economy as stock which is faster? (need to hear some opinions)

Accoridn to parkers, the 130d has 310nm torque, does 0-60 in 10.2 and tops 127mph.
The 1.8t 150 has 210nm torque, does 0-60 in 7.9 and tops 135mph.

Cheers for that.

The tdi's are indeed amazing on fuel and great performance but they do have their gripes, every one I've owned has had issues of some kind, many starting issues and some kind of annoying lights on the dash that can be expensive to sort. Go through clutches like a knife through butter..
How about this, 3 best and worst things about the 2.0turbo?

How are you driving them mate?! lol B5 Passat TDI PD115 here with 199k miles on the clock, running above standard power on original clutch and engine. Usual things that will go wrong on the VAG 1.9 unit is MAF sensor, coolant temp sensor and flat batteries! They are bomb proof!

Speed wise today I had a play with a 20vt cupra, judging by the way he flashed and waved as i pulled in front of him i think he was a little upset with my tdi badge ;)

I kept up with it nicely, but top end it had the edge over me if we had been on a private runway im sure he would have pulled away.