Do I have Bose or Not??????

AudiiduA

Reaction score
Hi all, how would i tell if i have a bose system or not? it doesnt say bose on the speakers! and the original headunit was missing when we bought it, its got the sub in the left rear quarter!
Cheers in advance fellas.:icon_thumright:

Mine also has a sub in the left rear quarter and I don't have BOSE. I would suggest if the factory fitted speakers don't say BOSE, you haven't got it.

I was gonna say the same thing. I've got the fully amplified Bose system in mine and i've got Bose badges on the front and rear speakers.

Bose system has two speakers in rear box whereas standard system only has one...Bose also has an amp mounted on top too IIRC

My mate has the original BOSE Amp if anyones interested from his S3... Works perfectly he's upgraded his whole sound system. Let me know if your interested and I'll pass you on his details.

My mate has the original BOSE Amp if anyones interested from his S3... Works perfectly he's upgraded his whole sound system. Let me know if your interested and I'll pass you on his details.

Required;

AMP
SUB
Speakers
Tweeters
Wiring

By any chance got these as well

id sooner hook up new speakers than fit Bose matey...it aint all its cracked up to be by all accounts......personally wouldnt wana lose the OEM HU, so id just fit aftermarket speakers and maybe uprate amp

I read they are not great, but I'd like em to complete my option list :/

Bose only works with specific OEM HU?

Mine has bose but it doesnt have the badges on the speaker grills! It says it on the screen on the head unit when you turn it on and on the sub in be back :)

Oooooh, ladida Tom ;)

On a serious note, I have heard mention of the BOSE not being all that in these models. My current one (coming from a full Alpine setup in my last car) is perfectly adequate. Yes, I would like a CD changer and/or iPod connection. But other than that, standard is fine.

God have I crossed the "old man" barrier?? Maybe summer weather will change my mind!

Some early cars that have BOSE don't have the BOSE speaker badges I thought.

Mines a 99 and I have the sub and amp but no badges on my speakers!

If you dont have bose but want to upgrade a lot of people go down the andymac sub route. I still like the idea of getting a phat noise system for mine to replace the cd changer

Required;

AMP
SUB
Speakers
Tweeters
Wiring

Hi mate,

Just text him. He has the BOSE amp, and the BOSE rear sub as well. He said the wiring is part of the loom which he doesn't have.

I also have original s3 tweeters as well but im sure the tweeters are the same as on the original a3... Apparently their made by Nokia.. classy lol! Nothing BOSE about the tweeters... Unless anyone knows different?

Cheers

Cheers for all the replies fellas
gonna take a speaker out to check if its bose or not? still needing that ISO Lead as they sent wrong one! now im wondering if it is bose???:icon_thumright:

just look at your sub. 2 x 4" speakers with black plastic front = bose, 1 x 6.5" speaker with metal front = non Bose.
Retrofitting is an horrendous task for very little improvement. You need to run new power to the rear, new speaker cabling to all speakers back to the boot, new loom to the rear, new loom from HU to rear, and new loom to sub on the other side as well as obviously replacing all the speakers and sub. Installing a stealth sub or normal sub and you will have a system far superior to the Bose "upgrade".

non-Bose to Bose upgrading is a non-starter, and for negligible sound improvement.

As I always say in these threads, get an AndyMac sub and you will not regret it one bit. A fantastic bit of kit for the money. I certainly didn't regret getting mine.

Cheers,

I'm pretty sure the best way to tell is to check for the amp in the right side of the boot. Non Bose wont have the seperate amp because the speakers run off the HU amp.

non Bose does have a seperate amp, hidden in the base box..... nothing you'd wana show the girlies at the local MCd's car park though Westy ;)

I'm pretty sure the best way to tell is to check for the amp in the right side of the boot. Non Bose wont have the seperate amp because the speakers run off the HU amp.

non Bose does have a seperate amp, hidden in the base box..... nothing you'd wana show the girlies at the local MCd's car park though Westy ;)

Required;

AMP
SUB
Speakers
Tweeters
Wiring

It's a shame you didn't need this last year when I took all Bose stuff out... I felt dirty just looking at the utter crap Audi have stuck into a top of the line model and threw it all away - oh the joy of an andymac sub with some decent speakers/HU and a generous amount of sound deadening :yes:

Yup, they'd be more impressed by this:
clasp_tupperware_1.jpg

Are the door cards all the same so if i wanted to put BOSE into a non-BOSE car the speakers would fit the pods ok??

Are the door cards all the same so if i wanted to put BOSE into a non-BOSE car the speakers would fit the pods ok??

Yes. All the speakers will fit fine, provided they come with the original plastic adaptors. The wiring will not be right though. Non-Bose use the amp in the Headunit for the front speakers, and a little 'amplifier' built into the sub for the rears. Bose has a separate amp located under the opposite boot trim to the sub, and hence a completely different wiring loom. Oh and the Bose speakers are 2Ohm and won't perform very well off an amp other than the original Bose one.

To be honest, the amount of work you are talking to retrofit the Bose 'upgrade', you would be WAY better off getting an AndyMac Sub and making custom adaptors for some Rainbows or similar speakers, then running new speaker, power and RCA to an amp or two behind the rear speakers. This is what I did, and you would not believe the difference in sound.

I used Infinity 5.25" components for the fronts, Infinity 6x9" for rears, then powered them and the AndyMac sub off an Alpine MRV-F354 5 channel amp.

Cheers,

If you dont have bose but want to upgrade a lot of people go down the andymac sub route. I still like the idea of getting a phat noise system for mine to replace the cd changer

Definately a good move Mk1Chopper, the Phatnoise is one of the best upgrades I've done to my S3, works amasingly simply and such a improvment over just having 6 CDs in the changer, they come up on ebay for sensible dosh, mine was £65 - highly recommended