ANYONE GOT A NOTCHY BOX

swarcup

Reaction score
:no: Naughty its not what you think
I just thought i would ask a question

When cold the gear changes can be quite notchy and i have to sort of nurse it into gear. First to second is usually the worst or going from second to first, when fully warmed up it is fine. Its not bad or anything. im just wondering if a change of gearbox oil may help.

has anybody else experienced this going on and can it be rectified. also when i accelerate away the gear stick moves backwards a small amount. could it be an engine mount or something that is worn causing the gear change issue?

any advise more than welcome

sorry forgot to say its a 6 speed manual connected to a (ake) 180hp quattro tdi

Last edited:
My first gear change of the day into second is quite a notchy one, it certainly doesnt go in as easy as when the gearbox is warmed up. Like you, when it's warmed up then the gear changed are fine.

I also have some gearstick movement, if I hold the selector and accelerate there is noticeable movement, it's not got any worse in the three years I've had the car, and I replaced the gear box oil when I got it. One of my electronice engine mounts is a bit intemittent so maybe this isnt helping.

I'll have a look and see what the interval is for changing the gear box oil, even if that doesn't help it's bound to reduce your concerns.

Mines been like that since I bought it 12 months ago and was also thinking about changing the oil.

But it looks like it may be a common issue.

Its a std "feature " of the 01E 6 speed box sadly. It can be made better by changing the oil to FULL synthetic. It won't be perfect. but it will be better.

It was a night and day difference,not perfect though

my 6-speed box is very notchy when cold as well, glad its not just me.

sounds like this could be quite a common one, il change the oil just to be on the safe side

any recomendations for brand and viscosity?

just found ive also got a diesel leak but il start a new thread:faint:

Have had , Ur quattro 20v RR , B5 S4 , B6 Tdi fwd , V5 bora , 80 Quattro v6 to name but a few all of them especially the quattros have slightly notchy boxs when cold give them half a mile or so and there fine
also ambient temprature at the moment is low so oils will be thicker in the mornings especially which will cause a notchy change
dont worry about it only worry if it does it hot .

My 6-speed manual 2.5tdi Q 180 gear box is also notchy when cold especialy in the lower gears.
I put ATF into the gear box on my last car which sorted out some notchyness in that (lexus IS200 with a quick shifter) and its quite a common thing to do on manual gearboxes that are notchy or clunky I believe

my 6 speed box is the same when cold.... its an Audi thing though as our A2 and my friends TT are exactly the same...

cool, i dont think il worry to much then as it is only when its cold and spring is springing now so the temps should come up soon:icon_thumright:

mine is occaisionally reluctant to release into Reverse, but nothing to do with the engine / oil being cold...