which is the better 1.8t? 150 / 180??

sainte986

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Wanted to know, having owned a AGU mk4 gti 150bhp, wanting to get another golf or a3 turbo. Is the 180bhp model better than the 150bhp, and the quattro system on the 180bhp, is it better than the 150bhp model or not??

Advice please

the 150 models are 2wd and the 180s are quattro. As standard they are probably similar performers despite the extra BHP the car wieghs in at around 200KG heavier.

Personaly i would have the quattro and the independant rear suspension for the superior handling and grip over outright power to weight

he owns a quattro now, and his old FWD was an Animal! I know this coz i ragged it........ i mean drove it!!! :faint:

i also agree with the quattro thing, my FWD spins up to much in the wet when you toe it.

Quattro has independendant suspension, 2wd have a torsion beam axle. Its one of the biggest reasons to own one IMHO, the 4wd is a bonus

The quattro system is brilliant in the snow, it grips and grips and if it does step out its nice a predictable and easy to get a hold of.

It has been said in the past that the quattro on the 180 bhp a3 makes for a more boring drive and that the front wheel drive 150 bhp is a bit more exciting.

But I reckon its just a matter of personal choice as there are pros and cons for both options. I have a mapped quattro A3 and i love it! personally I wouldn't go back to fwd, but drive both and see what you think.

give this a read, it might help

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?82664-Quattro-or-2wd&highlight=quattro+of+fwd

same as above.... although the 2wd can be made quicker than the 180TQS easier..... price you pay is lack of grip in the wet - horses for courses

as above but you could spend that money to make the quattro faster then a normal s3. as tim said horses for courses. if i it was to me i would choose the quattro.

honest opinion.... i cant see myself going back to a 2wd car anytime soon, and thats after owning an A3 for 6 years 150bhp 1.8T

Quattro every day of the week. Coming from a FWD to a 4WD the difference in handling is insane. And Clios are known to be excellent in the bends. This is just another level and mine isn't modded.

Same chassis for all of the mark 2s, regardless of engine. Plus I had coilovers, spacers, strut braces and solid top mounts.

Bumps were a nightmare. Roundabouts were a God send.

I had a A4 (B5) Avant 1.8T 150bhp 2wd before the S3. I'm sure you know already what front wheel drive VAG cars feel like. My A4 was chipped to 187bhp and would just spin the front wheels. My S3 is now remapped to 250-255ish and will, apparently, spin all four wheels from a rolling start...
My opinion - get the 180bhp quattro and remap it! Should have plenty of traction. I think the quattro is worth the weight penalty.

key word being apparently js1500. i highly doubt thats possible with only 250bhp

i had mr2 turbos in the past with far more power than than, only 2wd, and even then theyd only spin up in 2nd (whilst already moving) if it was wet/greasy

Eh? My 1.2 Clio would wheel spin if I just pulled the clutch pedal up and floored the right pedal . . . It's not hard to achieve!

key word being apparently js1500. i highly doubt thats possible with only 250bhp

i had mr2 turbos in the past with far more power than than, only 2wd, and even then theyd only spin up in 2nd (whilst already moving) if it was wet/greasy

That's why I said 'apparently' Matt.:tocktock:

My dad's V8 powered MGB can spin the rears in 1st, 2nd, 3rd... that's only about 220-230bhp and big fat grippy Avons... probably to do with the cart-springs!

And Clios are known to be excellent in the bends. This is just another level and mine isn't modded.

really? I won't lie, the S3 as standard has a lot of grip, but i'd hardly say it handles 'well' by any stretch of the imagination.

bit of a boat really, as are the A3's in standard form too. Both need good shocks and springs, and a change of rear ARB to alter tha balance of the car.

it's been covered a million times before, but basicly, the FWD car is easier to make quick than the TQS, but in the wet it's a nightmare - for me it all adds to the drama, although i wont lie, I'll be getting an S3 next, but the ko3/ko3s just isn't enough to power the 4wd heavy chassis.

Well I can't give any comparisons between the 1.8t and the 1.8tq because I haven't driven them both buuuut I've just moved from a 1.4 fiesta to a 1.8tq and absolutely love being able to floor it from a stand still or in the rain without having to worry about spinning up the fronts and not going anywhere, gives you so much more confidence if you have to pull out at junctions in a hurry.

More of a boat than the Clio was, yes, but that basically broke my back. Perhaps I am just more biased, now having a car that doesn't feel like the strut tops are going to pull away from the rest of the car due to the **** poor build quality of the Renault . . .

It feels safer going round corners and I don't worry it's going to spin/fall apart mid corner!

just stop bickering you lot and go have a go in a Scooby then tell me how the modded S3 handles in comparison!! :p

and the end of the day a car is only as good as the person driving it!! simples!

yup and when you drive that scooby you will diminish how good you really are as a 'person' :)

try an Evo instead :p

lol, Evos in a different leage tho!! i thought i would be fair!! :kiss:

I have also had the luck of having a mates evo 9 for the 2 weeks he was in barbados. I would love one but cant afford to run it!! 500+ bhp was sexual tho!:hubbahubba:

i had a quattro and except for the extra power (remapped aswell) it wasnt all that fun to drive. It was kinda robotic. I didnt feel like i was driving the car. Now i have my 150bhp i feel at home again.

The quattro almost caused a few accidents at times and eventually caused a big one! I would have thought it would prevent them or mine was ******** either way.
I was going around a roundabout on a spirited drive and the back end stepped out half way through my correction the quattro decided to kick in (late) and then span me in the opposite direction and i hit a barrier. Prior to that accident it had been twitchy on a few occasions before that. The launch is also a bit pants off the lights kinda bogs down then goes again. personally if u want quattro buy an s3 if u want the power from the a3 quattro just swap out the turbo for a k03s. either mine was screwed or the intermittent quattro = epic fail.

I would say go for the 180 quattro, even get the s3 if you can afford, otherwise you will do what i did and buy just a standard 1.8t a3 and then spend the next couple of years finding out about all the extras the s3 has and your car doesnt lol. However i still love the audi.

that was another ide, but needed to check that insurance wont be a problem, but my budget would be looking to be around £6k, which i dont think will quite get a S3.
It will get me a very tidy golf gti 180 lol.

I'd go for a Quattro if I was buying again I think.

Lately this weathers been a right pain in the **** for me with a FWD A3. Saying that though when the weathers nice my cars great but thats down to spending a lot of money on decent suspension etc.

My old man has a seat cupra (180bhp) and I can easily get the fronts spinning in the dry let alone in the wet. Good fun to drive but I prefer mine lol.

just stop bickering you lot and go have a go in a Scooby then tell me how the modded S3 handles in comparison!! :p

and the end of the day a car is only as good as the person driving it!! simples!

They both understeer lol

i had a quattro and except for the extra power (remapped aswell) it wasnt all that fun to drive. It was kinda robotic. I didnt feel like i was driving the car. Now i have my 150bhp i feel at home again.

The quattro almost caused a few accidents at times and eventually caused a big one! I would have thought it would prevent them or mine was ******** either way.
I was going around a roundabout on a spirited drive and the back end stepped out half way through my correction the quattro decided to kick in (late) and then span me in the opposite direction and i hit a barrier. Prior to that accident it had been twitchy on a few occasions before that. The launch is also a bit pants off the lights kinda bogs down then goes again. personally if u want quattro buy an s3 if u want the power from the a3 quattro just swap out the turbo for a k03s. either mine was screwed or the intermittent quattro = epic fail.

I think you forgot to say driving fast around a roundabout, this has happened to me once but i was getting ***** with the fact i could put my fott down and hold it around a big roundabout with losing grip, untill i did and it does feel weird. it doesnt do it everytime you go around a roundabout lol. I feel if your coming up from a slow car then the speed the qts gives is fine, i still find it quite fast when i hammer it, if chucking your back end out does really bother you and just like the odd fast drive then get the qts as you can do it when ever you want. remap will take it up to 210bhp, compared to sport which would remap to 200bhp though. But you will never spin the wheels.

But if you like speed and can afford an s3 and the insurance get one of them as you might not find the tqs that fast, coming from a 306 i did find it fast and still do.

Im selling mine btw:D

well im gonna be getting a real world comparison of this tomorrow.....me and the misus are going out to test drive a nice kingfisher 2wd and a white 1.8TQS so will report my findings...although when i bought my original 2wd i test drove both and the quattro felt a little faster...we will be mapping though so giving the misus much of the same advice as above

the quattro caused an accident...ive never heard such crap in all my days

and the quattro car has a KO3s as standard doesnt it????