which VAGCOM??

ckh

Reaction score
hi

which VAGCOM is good to get? and how much should i spend on one? Finally where from?

thanks

You can get a fully functional version for £85 which does EVERYTHING you could ever want it to do through a trustworthy gentleman on this site. Just don't buy anything less than the 704 version or anything off eBay.

You can get a fully functional version for £85 which does EVERYTHING you could ever want it to do through a trustworthy gentleman on this site. Just don't buy anything less than the 704 version or anything off eBay.

Not that trustworthy if he's selling Counterfeit cables from China. Even with the recent $ issue this week £85 is expensive for a copy.

You'll not be able to upgrade to the newest releases of the software as each release will contain a 'tool' to disable your cable. May as well burn your £85.

I wish people would stop putting other AS members onto dodgy leads, its only gonna end up with problems later & also out of respect for Ross-Tech, everyone spends so much on there cars then when it comes to the best tool for there car they wanna take risks for & save little money now then when they need it for a job only genuine can do start moaning, just go genuine save yourself hassle cause you wont have all the things that come with genuine versions.

MI-Diag also do them for £230 for Hex Can USB which does everything so cheaper than Gendan even though I got from gendan & service was ****** good so for me £30 more was well worth it.

But micro can is only what £150 for genuine so why go for counterfeit, I just dont get it, spend £500 for a new FBMFSW, RNS, Remap etc but wont spend much less for the tool that would do things for all these mods.

I was thinking of investing in a vagcom. sorry to sound dumb but whats the difference between a micro can and a hex can? Do they do the same job?

May as well burn your £85.

What a bonkers thing to say - I've been using my £85 Vagcom cable very happily for 2 months or so. Its never failed to work, I do regular datalogging to check my Revo settings and have tailored my car's functionality to suit my needs.

In what sense should I have burned my £85 ?

Do you have a genuine license or lead???

Firstly as I said above you've bought an illegal copy of a product.

Secondly you've bought a product which under normal circumstances, if it weren't counterfeit, would be supported by it's manfacturer and kept up to date with new developments. You will not be able to update your software and thus will not benefit from updates such as label files and compatibility.

As a registered user/owner you are offered unrivalled technical support from a company who know a great deal about the systems that are used on VAG cars.

You've spent tens of thousands of pounds on your car yet you are willing to plug in a counterfeit electronic device for which you have no warranty nor idea of the quality components it is manufactured from.

So you've bought a cable for £85, you have not bought the right to use the software with it. Without the software your cable is useless.

Iggu if you have counterfeit lead/cracked software how can you call yourself a VAGCOM Member in your sig???

Firstly as I said above you've bought an illegal copy of a product.

Secondly you've bought a product which under normal circumstances, if it weren't counterfeit, would be supported by it's manfacturer and kept up to date with new developments. You will not be able to update your software and thus will not benefit from updates such as label files and compatibility.

As a registered user/owner you are offered unrivalled technical support from a company who know a great deal about the systems that are used on VAG cars.

You've spent tens of thousands of pounds on your car yet you are willing to plug in a counterfeit electronic device for which you have no warranty nor idea of the quality components it is manufactured from.

So you've bought a cable for £85, you have not bought the right to use the software with it. Without the software your cable is useless.

It isn't useless - it works a treat thanks.
As for your high and mighty moral stance on the issue of using counterfeit or "illegal" products - well, I'm sure you've never copied any CDs in your life or ever downloaded any music or images from the internet without paying the owner of the copyright, or photocopied any pages from any publication less than 30 years old or quoted any published author without acknowledging the source or been involved in any of the countless transgressions of copyright which occur daily. For that your moral purity must be applauded.
:applaus:
The "risk" point you make is more valid - but in the scheme of things its hardly Russian Roulette is it ?

So what you're saying is you're not a genuine VAGCOM Member.

Do you not think the genuine version is worth the money?

So why didnt you buy a skoda vrs of some type as thats basically got all the audi parts but its cheaper, lol

What I said is that without the software your cable is useless.

Does your assuming that I have a couple of CDR's of music laying around here ease your conscience then??

This topic evolved from you 'advising' or 'endorsing' that another person buys a counterfeit item. If you have one and use it yourself that is your concern, the point I make is that you shouldn't be advising or condoning it.

Without getting into the rights and wrongs of acquiring a dodgy cable, I have to say that buying one from somebody who has been recommended by another ASN member is certainly a good start.

I bought my first lead from a fellow member and was well aware that it was a third party one, but couldn't justify the high cost of the genuine one as all I wanted to do was get the RNS-e coded up properly and didn't have plans to do anything else.

Once I had used the lead quite a bit and realised that it was an invaluable piece of kit I went out and purchased the full HEX+CAN-USB lead direct from Ross-Tech and sold the old lead on to another member.

One could argue that if I hadn't bought the first lead that I wouldn't have carried out half the mods that I have and therefore wouldn't have realised how good the software is. At the end of the day, my purchase of the "dodgy" lead resulted in a sale for RossTech.

Again, I don't want to get involved in the debate on the morals of it, but that's my view on it.

I think it's a case of caveat emptor and all that - and as long as you know what you are buying it is up to you to make the call on if it is right or wrong for you to buy it.

Also, if an argument for not purchasing a dodgy one is that it does Ross-Tech out of a sale, one could also argue that doing VAGCOM work on somebody elses car is also doing them out of a sale since if they couldn't borrow one they would have no choice but to buy one.

But I think what Stu's saying & what I agree with is that it isnt right to go around advising people to go buy a counterfeit lead because if they have issues with the lead, it damages there car or causes some unforeseen issues they have no warranty or protection where as Ross-Tech do have some responsibility & also to date not heard of any faulty leads from them so its good advice, worthy purchase from them & makes you feel good to know you've paid fair price for there hard work.

Only week or so ago you yourself was doing the same thing if I remember rightly, if you consider the software well worth its money as you seem to be saying then surely you would be advising others to buy genuine, not fake & give the guys at Ross-Tech there dues & salary for continuing to improve the software for us, I mean to date no upgrade charges, free support when needed & compatibility with alot of cars with almost no restrictions dependent on the lead you buy of course.

Personally if I buy something & I truly believe its worth the money then I praise & put forward that product to anyone considering them or an alternative, where as music to me is a joke & has been overpriced for a long time, given how much the record companies give the artists this is why I dont feel its right to pay these horrendous prices for music, I prefer concerts anyway & happily pay good money & have done for an amazing show, albums £15-£20 are a joke when artists get nowhere near as much, also dvd's & new Bluray are just a complete rip of where as VAGCOM for me is well worth the money & gives me peace of mind & I can appreciate how much time it takes to build the software, this is why I'm probably alone when I say hats of to people like Microsoft & I couldnt give a ***** what people say about them, if wasnt for Gates etc then we wouldnt be anywhere near this far along in technology I dont think, same for Ross-Tech if wasnt for them we'd be spending thousands at the stealers to even turn of an airbag light.

Like I said, I'm not going to get into a debate on the rights or wrongs of it.

In fact, I do agree with you that people should be buying the genuine lead.

What I will say though, is that any time I've advised a fellow ASN member that they can buy a third party lead I have explained that I bought my first lead in the same way, but that I then went and purchased the full one as I found it to be very useful and wanted to make my contribution towards Ross-Tech's R&D costs. What I'm saying, and I think most people pick up on, is that the software is well worth the price, but that if they are unsure about buying it then they should pick up the third party one and then decide about the genuine one if they feel they are getting value for money out of it. If it is something that they are going to use once and then stick in a drawer somewhere then better 85 than 200+.

Myself, yourself and Stu use VAGCOM quite extensively so we appreciate the power of the software, but somebody just starting out will be reluctant to splash out all that cash on something they don't know much about, and I think that buying the third party lead is a good way for them to get onto the ladder, so to speak. You need to look at it from the other side of the fence - and, again, I'm not saying it is right or wrong.

The thing to note also is that Ross-Tech do supply a legacy version of the software (409) for use FOC with third party leads with no support.

Personally i think £260 for a usb cable and the software is a lot, especially if you just want to do some data logging and make a few minor changes. I'm not saying it's not a good product, just if it was more reasonably priced they wouldn't lose so many customers to the 'non Ross-tech' alternatives. I don't think there is any problem letting people know there is an alternative, they can make up there own minds which one they want to buy and whether or not its right or wrong.

does it really matter if someone is a genuine or non-genuine Vagcom member?? :rolleyes: