Open Pitlane Thruxton upcoming - Do's and Dont's?

Well, what can I say... apart from sorry for the delay in updating this! Holidays and a wee wait for some photo's is the cause!

What a day! Absolutely brilliant, start to finish... bit nervous on arrival, great safety briefing though put my mind at rest... tons of great cars, lot's of stock and loads of modded motors meant for a busy time on the track (and a lot of indicating and pulling over for me!)

Loved every minute of it though, just being able to absolutely rag your own motor like you've stolen it left me smiling for hours... reckon I got about 5/6 sessions in, mainly dry, one in the wet (with instruction which was cool... "Keep the power down...!") :) top speed of about 134mph reached down the last straight before crapping myself at the oncoming chicane (my favourite bit to be honest)

All advice from you guys was spot on and massively helped my experience, car ran like a dream (at almost 100k) and didn't miss a beat, actually managed to leave a few in my wake on the straights, but the slightly woeful suspension/handling definitely became very obvious up against some of the smaller modded vehicles out there, but still, I fell in love with the S3 all over again... brilliant ding dong with a little 10 year old Cooper S though with thumbs up between drivers at the end of the session, quality!

Totally recommend it... don't take it too seriously, have fun, know your limits and pay attention...!

Definitely going again, maybe an easier track next time, or at least not quite so fast!!!

Few pics... love this little sequence... Tracking the MG was class...!

audi_sport_2_zpsscdua8r2.jpg

4fbc32fd-ada5-4ba2-940a-697ca9ff4aa1_zpsxp4rxheo.jpg

7e2f0b5e-56f6-4f58-850c-d872f436885c_zpskhc8rcwj.jpg

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Reactions: leshkin, HHS3, Arcam and 4 others
How did the brakes stand up ?. Potentially there are some big stops there especially that one at the end of the straight before the chicane.
It's a hard track on tyres due to the nature of the very fast corners, The BTCC touring cars runs a harder compound tyre than anywhere else and still end up with punctures after 12 laps.

Reactions: Gazwould
Glad you had such a good time.

My previous VWR brake kit was fried after a trackday at brands a while back.
The pads (DS2500s) had just about disintegrated.

Reactions: tonydata
How did the brakes stand up ?. Potentially there are some big stops there especially that one at the end of the straight before the chicane.
It's a hard track on tyres due to the nature of the very fast corners, The BTCC touring cars runs a harder compound tyre than anywhere else and still end up with punctures after 12 laps.

Brakes were great with the upgraded fluid, I took it fairly easy to start with then gradually started hammering it further in to the day... no problems for my level of driving!

Tyre's got fried... Goodyear economy (yuk) needed binning anyway so killed them and put on a nice new set of Eagle's for the MOT!

Reactions: S3Alex
Glad you enjoyed it :racer:. I like the way you polished up the car for the day.

As you found out, taking your car on the track shows up a couple of inadequacies in the suspension and the tyres, good job you sorted the brakes before the day.
I've since been to Rockingham for the 2nd. time this year. One poor geezer totalled his Porker GT3 on his 1st. lap :sorrow: but you did it right, started slow, some instruction then canned it.
Roll on your next one.

One little question- did the car understeer a lot?

Reactions: tonydata and S3Alex
Glad you enjoyed it :racer:. I like the way you polished up the car for the day.

As you found out, taking your car on the track shows up a couple of inadequacies in the suspension and the tyres, good job you sorted the brakes before the day.
I've since been to Rockingham for the 2nd. time this year. One poor geezer totalled his Porker GT3 on his 1st. lap :sorrow: but you did it right, started slow, some instruction then canned it.
Roll on your next one.

One little question- did the car understeer a lot?

Yep, the pro driver was pointing the understeer out to me... he did say the car went well though :) I'm not sure it slowed me down too much!

Some poor lad in all the gear and a proper racy looking little Clio blew up on the way round early doors, he didn't look happy... the MG span off out of the corner in to the long straight too, Church in to Brooklands, not sure how!? There was a golf mk4 there that sounded like a formula 1 car and a couple of old M3's that were literally flying... Not to stereotype but most of the beemer drivers were a little, how can I say... keen...!

I was thinking maybe Goodwood next!

Reactions: Arcam
Car looks great and glad you enjoyed it. Always a bit nerve wracking first time out. Thruxton is a great track. Try Castle Combe that's a bit technical in places.
I can't wait for 17th August when I'm off to Silverstone for a Caterham (or catering van as some cal them) experience day.

Reactions: tonydata and S3Alex
Silverstone done and dusted.........Brilliant day, hosted by Bookatrack. 6 x 1/4 Hour sessions around the full GP circuit in a Caterham R300 Supalight. 170BHP in a car weighing in at 500kgs and instructed by a tame racing driver :yahoo:

Reactions: tonydata
That's a good amount of time on track. Time for you to ditch the Lardy car and go for lightweight '7' type car, especially if you going to be a regular trackday hero.

That's a good amount of time on track. Time for you to ditch the Lardy car and go for lightweight '7' type car, especially if you going to be a regular trackday hero.

I needed that time on track to get used to the 'ickle pedals in those things:whistle2:. Not good when you're going hell for leather into a corner and you've got your foot on the brake and on the gas Ha Ha.

Yes, not much room in the footwell if you have size 10 or above. I have lightweight narrow trainers that fit like a glove for driving on the road and raceboots for the track.

Yes, not much room in the footwell if you have size 10 or above. I have lightweight narrow trainers that fit like a glove for driving on the road and raceboots for the track.
I'll be better prepared next time and there will be a next time. Already been looking at kit cars and it appears, Westfield, that you've got are amongst the best. Tigers are the cheapest but probably not that good. I went with my 2 sons and they are totally hooked now.