Apr stage 1 map

StevomcS3

Reaction score
Hi guys just bought my s3 last week on a 10 plate love it so far...
Had it in to ecotune Hillington today for Apr stg 1 map and it hit 321hp without any other mods, graph to follow....

Whats the best opinion on intakes as I think that's the next move? Would prefer it to as quiet as possible..
Cheers

Next mod should be a downpipe with a sports cat as this will give you the biggest gains after a stage 1 remap.

A lot will depend on what you want to do next,and how much more power etc you might want.

As nluk100 says,a downpipe and sports cat will open up the exhaust flow,and help you get more from the remap,whereas a CAI(intake) will offer relatively small gains at Stg1.

If you're looking to Stg2+ eventually,then getting a full exhaust,and CAI makes a lot of sense,as you would need all of those,plus suspension and brake mods.
Plan it carefully,work out what your final goal is,and you can save a lot of unneccessary costs.

A lot of the noise from intakes with the stock turbo comes from compressor surge,and the associated whistles and squeaks from running the K04 close to,or at it's limits.
Induction noise on mine for instance,is a lot less now than it was with the smaller turbos in the past.

The ITG intake is quite quiet anyway,as is the Revo,but pushing the stock turbo harder will get you a lot more of the noises I've described.

Actually, if you read APR's website the first mod you need is HPFP to get to stage 1+

Then it's intake and exhaust for 2+

Actually, if you read APR's website the first mod you need is HPFP to get to stage 1+

Then it's intake and exhaust for 2+

This is APR touting the HPFP at the earliest possible point.
For whatever reason most of the other tuners bring the pump upgrade in later.

Reactions: LVS Racing and Smirky
This is APR touting the HPFP at the earliest possible point.
For whatever reason most of the other tuners bring the pump upgrade in later.

Indeed, however I've experienced misfires at stage 2 without the pump which other tuners only require intake and exhaust at that stage.

When I put the pump on while still at stage 2 the misfire disappeared.

Even you say yourself APR are miles ahead of competitors at the moment, there's obviously a reason why they require the pump first.

Indeed, however I've experienced misfires at stage 2 without the pump which other tuners only require intake and exhaust at that stage.

When I put the pump on while still at stage 2 the misfire disappeared.

Even you say yourself APR are miles ahead of competitors at the moment, there's obviously a reason why they require the pump first.

There is.
And I would think it has something to do with the way they're managing torque which is certainly a limitation in the mid range on the stock pump.

That would explain why their specific map required the pump and others do not.
It would also fit in with their interest in my car and its mapping a couple of years ago when it was running its previous software.

Nice one good advice I'll go for the pump first I think it's gonna need done at some point anyway.. That way I can hold off till next year and get cai downpipe and stage two all in one go.. Is it best to get the fuel pump exchange that's offered?

I'm stage 2 APR without a hpfp and no misfires here.
The only time I did have any misfires, over the last year or so, is with intakes.
APR is finicky with maf scaling and aftermarket intakes can suffer from this which in turn increase the fuel trims to unacceptable levels.
I'm now just using the carbonio intake scoop which utilises the standard airbox and I'm very pleased with it.
Can I ask, did you manage to get the full emcs programs on your ecu. My 2009 S3 was unable to accept them and so I only got the single program.

Not sure bout emcs programmes what's that? Ironically enough I really like the look of the carbonio intake. Does it do the job and stay relatively quiet?

Emcs

You can store multiple programs on the ecu and then switch between them, you do need cruise though.
The Carbonio is almost oem quiet. I was recommended it by Awesome Gti after trying a few sealed intakes. I didn't want an open cone filter as I prefer to keep the car refined lol

That looks class I don't have cruise tho.. Can cruise be added without much hassle? The carbonio sounds good I wouldn't mind more turbo noise just don't want induction roar drowning out the nice refined sound of engine exhaust etc

That looks class I don't have cruise tho.. Can cruise be added without much hassle? The carbonio sounds good I wouldn't mind more turbo noise just don't want induction roar drowning out the nice refined sound of engine exhaust etc
Yes cruise is easy. New stalk and lower steering cowel, then just coding.
Some of the early 8P3 S3's can't get the EMCS due to the ECU used though which is why I asked

It made 270 std.

Mines a 10 plate although had brand new engine fitted bout 3months ago. Would quite like cruise as I have it on my van and use it a lot..

Reactions: Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.
Cant remember torques figures and to have graph to hand

I'm stage 2 APR without a hpfp and no misfires here.
The only time I did have any misfires, over the last year or so, is with intakes.
APR is finicky with maf scaling and aftermarket intakes can suffer from this which in turn increase the fuel trims to unacceptable levels.
I'm now just using the carbonio intake scoop which utilises the standard airbox and I'm very pleased with it.
Can I ask, did you manage to get the full emcs programs on your ecu. My 2009 S3 was unable to accept them and so I only got the single program.

So why did my misfire instantly disappear when I added the hpfp on stage 2 software. I don't feel it had anything to do with the intake as I didn't touch any of the hardware apart from changing to a hpfp.

The fault code that was registered at the time was fuel rail pressure too low, which to me means the fuel is being burnt faster than what can be supplied it had nothing to do with the fuel trims, otherwise fault codes such as "mixture to lean/rich" would've been reported.

If Apr specify you need a pump from stage 1+ onwards why quibble, they are the people who write the map and test for thousands of miles.

I tell you what though, people are always quick to blame the map when something goes wrong with the hardware.

Reactions: S3Alex
No idea on your specific circumstances mate.
I'm stage 2 on the original map upgrade route without a hpfp and no issues.
APR have only fairly recently added the 1+ map that includes the hpfp and appear not to advertise the 2 on there website anymore, doesn't mean they don't have a map for it though

If I had to chose between a downpipe and a HPFP then I would go the downpipe route first for 2 reasons.

1) It gives the turbo space to breathe, which keeps your intakes lower and puts less stress on your turbo oil seals.
2) Whilst they both may give you similar torque gains, the removal of the pre-cat and a less restrictive main cat will improve your spool up, meaning you can get on boost earlier.

revo/itg induction kit sounds wicked i had them on both my s3 8p's and downpipe essential. decat also.

If you would like a quote on the Revo Intake then please feel free to PM me as I do a special price to all AS members :)

Pat