Vehicle Taxation Class

autolatry

Reaction score
I have a 'friend' who has just noticed his on his V5 that his vehicles taxaction class is disabled.

Does this mean I, errrr I mean he, gets free tax?

From experience the best plan of action is to go to a dvla office, you may need an appointment first. They can change it there, until you do you won't be able to tax it, even if you are willing to pay for it. Hope this helps.

Well I started this thread as a bit of a joke knowing full well I wouldn't get free road tax.
After reading Kaibo's post I looked into it further.

I called the DVLA explaining the car was classed as disabled and although I'm a social ******, it's not a recognised as a disability and therefore I'm not disabled. I explained I bought the car from a dealer 5months ago and I only noticed now as I've just changed my address on the V5. No problem he said, go to a DvLA office and they will change it.
He then said I won't be able to tax the vehicle before I did this. I said the dealer put 6 months on it the day I bought it.
He put my reg in his computer and said my cars not been taxed since September 2012!!!!!!!!!!

I checked the disc tonight as the cars off the road with a head gasket problems ad the reg is one digit different to my plate.
How can this be a mistake and not blatant fraud?
When you buy tax from the post office they scan the barcode on the V5 so how could they issue it for another car?
The dealer has obviously taken itto be taxed and found out he couldn't as it was disabled classification and got his mate behind the desk to produce this one.

Im in 2 minds as to what to do. I'm furious as I've essential been driving around with no tax for 5 months.
I either contact the authorities (but no doubt nothin will happen) or I go to his garage an smash his head all over it.

Think it's going to be the latter.

Don't do the latter as it'll just get you in trouble, chase this up as any fraud is frowned upon, certainly don't let the dealer get away with this, if you don't chase it up and good forbid you do get shafted for no tax then you won't have a leg to stand on, dvla rarely care about your excuse.

Is the plate right on the car rather than the tax disc wrong? Check the Vin on the V5 matches the windscreen number....

Yes the plate is correct. The tax disc comes up on Askmid as a City Rover!