VAGCOM any cool mods?

gixerson

Reaction score
Got a day off tomorrow so i fancy doing a few jobs on the A3, figured while i'm at it i'd ask you guys to see if there are any cool things i can prgram my car to do.

It's a 04 3.2 A3.

I've already programmed the windows to come up and down using the keyfob (not the sunroof though for some reason).
Not really interested in DRL's
I'm sure i've read somewhere that there are extra options available on the dash info screen?

Anything else i can adjust or activate that's kinda cool?

I'd have thought some people will warn you off having auto windows with your key fob as they have had unfortunate things happen with this feature

What unfortunate things? Genitals falling off? Care to expand?!

What unfortunate things? Genitals falling off? Care to expand?!

I think he means accidentally sitting on the fob and opening all windows, even if it chucking it down !

However, as the OP is in Greece he has less chance of that problem.!!

Gixerson, being an '04 model I don't think you will have the facility of extra options on the DIS. I have an '06 and that doesn't have the option.

If you go into each module, particularly central electrics and central convenience, you can scroll through the long coding and see what is available. That's how I learned, by experimentation and trial and error.

Just make sure that you save a complete scan before you do anything so that you can put it back if something goes wrong !

I've enabled the little chirp when I lock my doors, pretty easy to do. Also enabled the one click to open all doors as it was doing my head in having to click the unlock button a couple of times to open the passenger door.

I've enabled the little chirp when I lock my doors, pretty easy to do. Also enabled the one click to open all doors as it was doing my head in having to click the unlock button a couple of times to open the passenger door.

Nice one, this is a PIA imho, is it easy to do?

Also enabled the one click to open all doors as it was doing my head in having to click the unlock button a couple of times to open the passenger door.

Want this feature!! I know nothing about VAGCOM or whatever it is.. I need to research!

Nice one, this is a PIA imho, is it easy to do?

Want this feature!! I know nothing about VAGCOM or whatever it is.. I need to research!

Yeh, it's pretty simple to do.

If I remember correctly, you go through 46 Central Convenience, Long Coding, can't remember which Byte but click through them until you find the option Selective Central Locking (Single Door Opening), Untick that box and save.

Yeh, it's pretty simple to do.

If I remember correctly, you go through 46 Central Convenience, Long Coding, can't remember which Byte but click through them until you find the option Selective Central Locking (Single Door Opening), Untick that box and save.

Hmm.. its alot of money to buy all of the kit, just for that function.. cables on eBay from £10.00 up to very expensive.. confused?! Anyone local?

I have it now as well. Found somebody who sells excellent versions for £45 or so.

Done the same on mine....coded doors, DRLs and full scans.

Belter

Where are you based?

I have it now as well. Found somebody who sells excellent versions for £45 or so.

Belter

Where are you based?

I'd pay that to have a play.. :)

I'm down near Lands End.. miles from everyone!!! :(

Hmm.. its alot of money to buy all of the kit, just for that function.. cables on eBay from £10.00 up to very expensive.. confused?! Anyone local?

Belter

Where are you based?

You will get no support from anyone on the site for cheap cables. Only genuine Ross Tech cables are supported here.

You also run the risk of serious damage to your vehicle electronics from shoddy cables

And also worth pointing out that the cheap cables will not be as much of use as the real ones, as VCDS Lite will not give you the full capabilities

Reactions: RedDejavu
Proper VCDS cables are quite expensive but very very handy.

When a warning light comes up on the dash board, I just have to reach for the cable + laptop to see what's causing it to come up instead of booking into a garage and being ripped off for something that takes 5 mins to do. Sort of pays for itself in the long run!

Reactions: J17_KNO
Proper VCDS cables are quite expensive but very very handy.

When a warning light comes up on the dash board, I just have to reach for the cable + laptop to see what's causing it to come up instead of booking into a garage and being ripped off for something that takes 5 mins to do. Sort of pays for itself in the long run!

When you fancy coming to Cornwall on holiday with the mrs/family.. drop me a PM ;) bring your cable and laptop! ha!

Its the one press, unlock all doors that I want.. would Audi do this for me?

You will get no support from anyone on the site for cheap cables. Only genuine Ross Tech cables are supported here.

You also run the risk of serious damage to your vehicle electronics from shoddy cables

And also worth pointing out that the cheap cables will not be as much of use as the real ones, as VCDS Lite will not give you the full capabilities

Oh i got my cable off ebay i just thought cable was a cable bit like these fancy hdmi leads it's all 1 and 0's right!? Maybe not then?

I haven't used it on my 8p only my old S3 but worked ok? No fireballs or anything?

When you fancy coming to Cornwall on holiday with the mrs/family.. drop me a PM ;) bring your cable and laptop! ha!

Lee have a look at the vcds map for someone local to you.:) x

It might do all that you need it to do. It might only last a few plugins!

Simply saying that the genuine users and Ross Tech will not offer any assistance if you ever need it

Lee have a look at the vcds map for someone local to you.:) x

Thanks.. my closest member joined last year and his last visit was two days later.. :/ perhaps not great!

Thanks.. my closest member joined last year and his last visit was two days later.. :/ perhaps not great!

Ok i will have a look at that just now for you. :) x

If I'm ever down that way, I'll give you a shout haha.

As said, try a few local members to you but failing that, any garage with VCDS should be able to do it for you.

I think he means accidentally sitting on the fob and opening all windows, even if it chucking it down !

However, as the OP is in Greece he has less chance of that problem.!!

Gixerson, being an '04 model I don't think you will have the facility of extra options on the DIS. I have an '06 and that doesn't have the option.

If you go into each module, particularly central electrics and central convenience, you can scroll through the long coding and see what is available. That's how I learned, by experimentation and trial and error.

Just make sure that you save a complete scan before you do anything so that you can put it back if something goes wrong !

Hey Mike,

Yep i'm not too worried about sitting on the key.
Parking is THAT bad in Athens your lucky to get your car anywhere near where you want to go, never mind within fob range :laugh:

Shame about the extra DIS options.

Is this chirp only on locking?

If so i recon that'd be handy as with all the cars i tend to get mixed up between which button is lock and which is unlock.

Any other useful features i can enable please guys?

Is this chirp only on locking?

If so i recon that'd be handy as with all the cars i tend to get mixed up between which button is lock and which is unlock.

You can have the chirp for only locking, only unlocking or for both. Difference between the chirps to differentiate which is which are, unlocking chirp sounds twice when button is pressed and locking chirp sounds once.

Tear drop rear wipe - basically when you wash the rear screen it does a few sweeps as usual then after 20-30 seconds does another to remove the drips. Then again, Athens - no rain - no need ! I took it off again.

Single press to open all doors + boot is a good one. Leaving home lights ( coming home lights are a bit unnecessary unless you leave it a long way from your door ) but that will need some cable tweaking on your car.

Instrument cluster backlight on all the time instead of varying depending on how light/dark it is.

If I think of anything else I'll get back !

Tear drop rear wipe - basically when you wash the rear screen it does a few sweeps as usual then after 20-30 seconds does another to remove the drips. Then again, Athens - no rain - no need ! I took it off again.

Can also stop the ruddy thing wiping when the front wiper is active and reverse gear engaged - or activate it!

But have wondered why we have tear drop wipe on the rear but not on the front? Or am I missing something?!

Presumably we have complete control of the front ( single flick wipe ) so we don't need anything to do it for us. As we're looking forwards most of the time we can deal with it !

Technical reason would be that windspeed on the front screen will blow the drops away, either over the top or off to the side. Aerodynamic effect on the rear screen pushes the (tear) drops down the rear screen so another, later wipe, can be used automatically to deal with it.

QED !

That's weird, cause my 04 wipes after i've pressed the squirty.

It does it's usual wipes then a few seconds later does another pass.

Are you talking front or back ?

If it's back then that is teardrop wipe so you already have it enabled. You can switch it off if you want !!

At the front Mike.

It does the usual wipes when you squirt the windscreen, then i'm guessing around 6 seconds after it does another wipe to clear up the drips.

Very handy when you're not moving I suppose !?? lol :think:

Even when moving you do get some drips coming down (or up if your going faster) the windscreen, so it is handy.

Can't say as it would be a deal breaker if my next car didn't have it, but it's free and handy so why not.

found the coding to enable teardrop wipe on the front windscreen... And it works!

Central convenience module - hit coding - then change the module in the centre drop down menu (there is two on mine) - then hit long coding helper button - in long coding (only 3 bytes long) nothing in first byte but second byte has a check box for Teardrop wiping :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if it's possible to deactivate the headlight wash? Sometimes my windscreen is only a little bit dirty but then the headlights wash which covers my bonnet with solution and then dirt gets stuck to it. For the MOT I could reenable with Vag Com.

Turn your headlights off when you press the washer :)

Im going to Pendeen end of April for a few days, will have my cable with me if you need anything feel free to let me know :)

In fact, within reason, if there is anybody en route from Notts needs the use of VCDS id be grateful for a rest stop (6 hours with the missus in one long sitting is gonna be tough!!)

I managed to get the sunroof to close / open using the key fob. Check out my previous posts from about 5 months ago for a 'How to'

PS hate the tear drop wipe, quite often water has dried on the screen before tear drop activates, which then just leaves a smear.aaaahhhhhh:mad:

Did anyone bought this VCDS cable and software any good does it do it all?

Grtx Rain...

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to get the sunroof to close / open using the key fob. Check out my previous posts from about 5 months ago for a 'How to'

PS hate the tear drop wipe, quite often water has dried on the screen before tear drop activates, which then just leaves a smear.aaaahhhhhh:mad:

Nice one

I can close my SR from the keyfob but not open it.