**HELP** inlet manifold flap throttle body

audi_a3

Reaction score
hi i have a 54plate a3 2.0tdi 140bhp and my engine management light came on so i got is diagnosed and it said there was a problem with the inlet manifold flap, i saw a thread on the forum but i cant find it now..i wanted to know what part to change..?and the part number..?

also in the cold my car starts up straight away..when the engine is warm it struggles then starts..what could this problem be?

Answer to the second question is it's likely to be the starter motor. Loads of threads on the subject on this forum.

The reason is when cold starting more fuel is injected into the cylinders. This does not happen when warm ( sensors and engine management system ! ) and starter motor cannot cope.

Usually fixed by direct replacement.

EDIT - check out this post on manifold flap - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/103200-imf-i-think.html

Last edited:
Probably becuase the inlet is covered with soot from the egr. Have you removed the egr and inlet flap to check. You can try cleaning these or can replace the egr with a delete pipe. The inlet flap should work again once soot is cleared if not you can alwayas buy a new one

Did the fault code also say some thing about the fan?. Ive also got a 2004 a3 and this came up on mine. Check your fuses i cant remember which fuse it is but one should be blown replace this and start the car if it blows again you have the same problem as mine. Your lucky the car even starts that means the flag is locked open if it was locked shut you wouldent be able to use the car.

Basicaly your throttle body has gone there is a flap inside controlled by a motor with plastic cogs when the inlet gets clogged up with crap beacuse of the egr the flap sticks but the motor is still trying to turn it and it snaps two teeth of of the cogs. My machanic friend tried to fix mine but it did not work so you will have to go to euro car parts and shell out £250 for a new one. Id also look at the egr vavle delete kit £65 but should make your new throttle body last alot longer.

Easy to fit just 3 torque splits and a clip on the rubber pipe and job done. Good luck.