What map for the s3?

Morells

Reaction score
Hi everyone I was just wondering what each map is like from experience and which would you advise from the following

Revo
shark
blufin
and any others

Thanks

Don't forget APR! Nice smooth and progressive map with options to change through the cruise switch

The major competitors currently are Revo,Shark and APR.
Despite claims to the contrary,each will give you roughly the same results for equivalent hardware and boost levels,although there will be differences in delivery,much of which can be tailored with EACH map to the individual's requirements in any case.
Choose which you want from demonstrations if possible,and not from hype.

I currently like the Revo running in my A4 Dynamik, inbox me for more info if you want :)

As Alex has said, software is software, and at the end of the day all offer some level of improvement but have slightly different approaches as to how it's delivered.

If you want something you can load on / load off then maybe a Superchips is best for you, but I've never been totally convinced by the overall power gains based on people's responses (& industry insider knowledge about how short their development windows are for each map). I'm not sure that Superchips offer a multi stage upgrade (e.g. stage 1 /2/3), but I think there is some customization they can offer and they send you files by email.

If you want something that you can configure, then Revo is a good choice as you can get an SPS which allows you to adjust the boost / timing / fuelling, set an anti theft mode, turn the map characteristics on/off. This presents a broader range of options if you go on to do other mods as you can tweak the map settings. When it's really warm in the summer you can dial back settings to compensate for high ambient air temps, then ramp up again once the fresher weather arrives. Revo do 2 maps, an aggressive map which is feels more urgent, and then the 1:1 linear map which is more progressive depending on what kind of feel you prefer. Revo do stages 1 - 4 taking you from 300bhp up towards 500'ish, so there is quite an upgrade path on offer.

Shark offer a very good service with an increasing number of dealers around the country. I know they can supply a 'box system' offering, but I'm not exactly sure how it works so I'll leave the explanation of that to someone who knows what they're talking about! Shark also do a multi-stage offering, and of the people who post on here all seem genuinely happy with the quality of the mappings they receive, so it's another sound product.

APR have been around for a while, but I know very little about them and you'd have to do your own research. Owners rave about it, but then you could say the same for most of the above.

MTM have recently dropped their mapping prices but remain the most expensive, but have a benefit where dealers like Audi Glasgow won't frown on you for it as they supply cars with MTM maps from the dealers.

You could go the indy route and get a 'bespoke' map (like MRC for example), which some will argue is the purist route to getting a map that suits your vehicle.

One thing that's REALLY important to remember is that when you do choose, try and select a tuning house that can support you if things go wrong. You're putting your car under extra stress and therefore you'll get the odd niggle that Audi obviously won't be able to fix for you. Having a good relationship with a tuning company (like Alex has with AmD for example), buys a lot of credit in your favour if you have issues. Choose a few dealers that's aren't at the other end of the country, and then go and visit them and see which one wins your vote. Double check their reputation on the net, and then if it sounds good, irrespective of what mapping franchise they offer you then can't go far wrong.

One final tip; ALWAYS be suspicious of anyone / any tuning house who tries to rubbish another tuners maps, I'd be more inclined to go with a company with an impartial view who sell their business to you based on their strengths, and NOT other tuners perceived weaknesses

Reactions: mister.c., RedDejavu and Brodster
The major competitors currently are Revo,Shark and APR.
Despite claims to the contrary,each will give you roughly the same results for equivalent hardware and boost levels,although there will be differences in delivery,much of which can be tailored with EACH map to the individual's requirements in any case.
Choose which you want from demonstrations if possible,and not from hype.

Spot on.

Reactions: S3Alex
I like Revo but thats my personal choice. As S3Alex says get a demo of each one and then you can decide which delivery type you prefer.

BTW Nice write up Warren.

Reactions: S3Alex
Shark offer a very good service with an increasing number of dealers around the country. I know they can supply a 'box system' offering, but I'm not exactly sure how it works so I'll leave the explanation of that to someone who knows what they're talking about! Shark also do a multi-stage offering, and of the people who post on here all seem genuinely happy with the quality of the mappings they receive, so it's another sound product.
As an owner of the Shark switching box let me explain how it works. You get the box in the post with an obd cable for the car, and USB for the computer. First job is to copy your existing map off the car, and email to shark. This takes 15 mins. Then wait under a day in my case for an email with the performance map and an immobiliser map. Load the maps onto the switching box, then out to the car to remap. Remap between original and performance takes 10 mins. The map itself is great as stated elsewhere. I have switched recently between performance and original and back for servicing, and it reminded me of the difference stage 1 makes. There are some guys on here who can sort you a good deal.
I should add that the box reads diagnostic codes too, a function I have not had to use yet. You can't change fuelling boost etc like the revo box which personally isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: mister.c.
Had revo now changed to apr. I think apr is better. And smoother.

APR or Custom map from Rich at Viper Tuning. One of my customers is getting is s3 mapped by APR this afternoon in glasgow. It should be a fun afternoon.

All my custom mapping on my b5 rs4 is done by rich.

I have the bluefin (Superchips) on my 2.0TFSI cabriolet - conservative map if you go by all the figures thrown around by the other suppliers but for me on a newish car I wanted something that wasn't 'on the limit' to start things off. Even with a smaller gain I do have wheelspin and what I think is 'wheel hop' so I think there are other things around the suspension and tyres that need to be changed to 'harness' the added bhp and torque. At the moment this is my biggest concern.

I have a downpipe on its way and the Autotech HPFP internals coming so I'd be interested to know how Superchips would 'upgrade' my map (if needed). One thing I found slightly disappointing was the blufin blurb says upload your current map to them and they will send you a custom map within a day - well I got mine back within 10mins after 8pm on a Friday night. I'm guessing these are now generic maps based on engine and gearbox rather than specific to your vehicle characteristics. I may look to APR next as much of my work is done by Tuningwerkes in Croydon.

DTTB

I would recommend MTM or maybe shark

Hijack - I've not put the Bluefin map on my car (even though I have the unit) as the insurance price hike was quite a bit.

Does everyone declare their maps or is it something that is not checked? My thought is that the insurance would only check for a map if the car was written off but could they use this not to pay out? Or can one act innocent? Just a thought and I know what the correct answer should be.

Revo for me personally. Especially when you consider S2+ or want to change settings like Timing Fueling etc via switch

I think everyone here knows what I chose,and am happy with.

Revo had the upgrade path and personal support that I wanted,plus excellent advice when required.