Tyres?

A3 Sport

Reaction score
Im in a bit of a situation. I have plans of changing my car in the next couple of months, and it needs two new front tyres - they're not quite on the wear indicators yet, but its getting that way.

Should I get two budget tyres, or two of the more expensive, premium tyres (for double the price - but they will be the same as the rears)? Am I likely to recoup that extra cost?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I would get something in the mid range, Avon or similar, budget tyres suggest to me that the car may not be cared for as much as one with premium tyres, that said I wouldn't pay more for a car with conti's or Michelin tyres on it. My car came with horrible AutoGuard budget tyres, if I didn't know how the car should drive I would never of bought it as the ride was terrible and the noise was ridiculous

If your changing your car, I'd get some part worns.

If you ask to pick the tyres you could end up with some good tyres for about £20-£40 fitted.

If going new then stick on some Falken FK452. Widely recognised mid-range brand with good performance. Check out camskill or blackcircles for reasonable prices.

Or have you thought about trying to pick up some slightly part worn premium brand tyres??

EDIT - Axios beat me to it with that last bit!!

Last edited:
tesco tyres now own blackcircle and you get club card points as well lol! i just ordered a couple of yokohama cdrive 2's and the price was quite reasonable as the tyre was getting good reviews.

If you put budget tyres on it could look very odd to a future buyer...

If the vehicle had budget tyres I'd wonder what else the owner had skimpted on as they maybe couldn't afford to run the car.

Just my 2p. :)

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah I understand what you mean about the budget tyres, but my thinking was that budget tyres would be fine for the average buyer (or if I decide to trade in). If I get the premium tyres, I will be looking at Dunlop Sport Maxx's - So that they're the same as the rears.

Part worns do seem the best option, but Im not sure where Id get any decent ones from, and I dont want to go to some dodge backstreet garage, that will rip my (currently unmarked) wheels to shreds, when changing the tyres - as Ive had a similar experience before!

Any more comments will be appreciated :icon_thumright:

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah I understand what you mean about the budget tyres, but my thinking was that budget tyres would be fine for the average buyer (or if I decide to trade in). If I get the premium tyres, I will be looking at Dunlop Sport Maxx's - So that they're the same as the rears.

Part worns do seem the best option, but Im not sure where Id get any decent ones from, and I dont want to go to some dodge backstreet garage, that will rip my (currently unmarked) wheels to shreds, when changing the tyres - as Ive had a similar experience before!

Any more comments will be appreciated :icon_thumright:

If your trading the car in then I wouldn't bother changing them, but if your selling private then put some Dunlops on so they match the rears. If I were looking at a car, I would question why you had fitted budget tyres on an Audi and would wonder what else you had skipped on with maintenance.... I would probably walk away from buying it but I am fussy with things like that. I am not the only one though so many potential buyers would probably be the same....

If going new then stick on some Falken FK452. Widely recognised mid-range brand with good performance. Check out camskill or blackcircles for reasonable prices.

Or have you thought about trying to pick up some slightly part worn premium brand tyres??

EDIT - Axios beat me to it with that last bit!!

Spot on, I've just purchased 4 Falken FK452's from Camskill, £69 each + £10 postage. For a mid range tyre they're very good and I don't think I'd be put off a car because it had Falkens on it.

Col

You can get part worn premium tyres on the bay (ebay). Don't get cheap tyres and stick to something inline with what you currently have. I for one would not be impressed seeing a car with dodgy tyres.

I would get a pair of Falken FK452's to be honest, I drive my car extremely hard and have been quite impressed, Ok they are a bit noisy compared to a "Premium" tyre but I can live with that. Hell they have even been round the ring at a fair pace and we didn't end up on the roof......

For what it's worth budget tyres wouldn't and have not put me off buying cars in the past, if you are going to trade the car in at a dealers you are going to lose a shed load on a bottom of the range A3 as it is, I would just fit the cheapest ones you can find, if you even bother to change them at all.

If its private then leave them as they are. If its a trade in then it depends, last car i traded in at Audi they knocked £300 of the price because the tyres were half worn then sold me my 3.2 with half worn tyres that i had to replace withing 6 months......you cant win.lol