Jumping when Idle...

S3MMA

Reaction score
My S3 is jumping irregularly when idle, it has been doing it today at lights etc but only when in neutral... it has just had a service ...any idea's??

What do you mean by jumping? The car is or the rev counter is?

If the rev counter is then mine always does it, cleaned tb, new maf etc and the revs still flutter!

Either the throttle needs a clean or it's the MAF.....

Look out for me, i'm in Bolton too lol

I will need to ring the garage on Monday again..it only came out on Friday!!

I will is that your car in the pic?

What do you mean by jumping? The car is or the rev counter is?

If the rev counter is then mine always does it, cleaned tb, new maf etc and the revs still flutter!

The car is, only slightly and like I said irregularly like after 5 secs then maybe 10 secs...but when it does it you can really notice it...

Funnily enough my revs drop slighty but i can hear my DMF (rattles a bit), but it's been like that for a while, aslong as it ain't slipping i ain't touching it lol

Funnily enough my revs drop slighty but i can hear my DMF (rattles a bit), but it's been like that for a while, aslong as it ain't slipping i ain't touching it lol

Fingers crossed then.. its something and nothing...:shrug:

I'd say give it a throttle body clean and alignement with VCDS (Do you have that yet? It's very handy) and go from there before replacing things like the MAF.

Dani,

Take a look here:
Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki)

Drive-by-Wire (DBW) Engines using KW-1281

(These are engines WITHOUT a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle. Check to see if the engine speaks KW-1281 by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen Some examples of KW-1281 engine controllers are 2000+ Golf/GTI/Jetta/New Beetle/Audi TT 1.8T)

Turn the key on but do not start the car.
[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Enter Group 060

[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.

[Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.
Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

Or you can simply disconnect and reconnect the battery, but then you have to faff around with the clock and windows.

Cheers mate.

The battery ways not mesnt tobe good, there was something in seatcupra.net about why you should use vagcom as thats the only way to correctly do it.

Thanks everyone, I will have to get this done this week!

My car does this too is it bad? and blonde question but whats a DMF?

It isn't doing it today, which is strange....it only does it now and again....

Emma, check the vac pipe that runs underneath the inlet manifold these are notorios for splitting and case exactly this problem, I had it and the hopes was split, new hose no more irratic idle.

Hope this heklps
Nige