How far would you travel...

enc

Reaction score
... To view a potential car purchase ?

And have you ever bought without viewing eg: ebay

The furthest I have ever travelled was around 120 miles. I did buy the car and had to go back a week later to pick it up. I had seen loads of photos of the car and it was only 3 years old so there wasn't much wrong with it.
The problem driving a long distance and buying cars especially older ones is some peoples idea of excellent condition, or mint (whatever that means) is not what my idea is.
I have been to look at cars that looked OK in the pictures but have been a shed when I got there, I could swear that the one car the photo's were photoshopped.
I would never buy a car without viewing it, I haven't an issue with buying cars on Fleabay, I have actually sold a few on there myself.

Karl.

Reactions: enc
I would probably say max 50miles, that what I limit my search to when looking, I have previously done longer trips and spent alot on fuel and wasted time as well to find the car was not as described or there was issues with it.

It all depends on the car as well though as if its something special its obviously worth going the extra mile, otherwise if its something mainstream, I would limit it.

580 miles to Hamburg to purchase a limited edition alloy rims I won on eBay.

It depends what the car is & where it was for sale ( dealer or private )
I enquired about my Lotus Esprit S4s that was for sale at a dealers in Exeter ( I live near Middlesbrough in the North East ) They sent loads of pictures first but rather than drive I flew down as it was quicker & cheaper, the dealer picked me up from the airport. There were a few issues with the car that the pictures couldn't show & the dealer failed to mention so I was haggling over the price to the point I was ready to walk away, the only problem with this was I had no plan B ! The next flight home was the day after so it would have been over-night stop in a travel lodge or hire a car, something I was prepared to do but eventually we came to an agreement on price so I paid for the car & drove her home ( which was fun travelling up in rush hour traffic on a Friday ) 5 hour journey took 7 hours ! all part of the adventure though & at least I had a nice car to drive the trip home in :)

600 mile round trip when i bought my Landcruiser off eblag, wasn't quit as described but a bit of renegotiation on the price sorted that, had it ten years with no trouble whatsoever.

It depends what the car is & where it was for sale ( dealer or private )
I enquired about my Lotus Esprit S4s that was for sale at a dealers in Exeter ( I live near Middlesbrough in the North East ) They sent loads of pictures first but rather than drive I flew down as it was quicker & cheaper, the dealer picked me up from the airport. There were a few issues with the car that the pictures couldn't show & the dealer failed to mention so I was haggling over the price to the point I was ready to walk away, the only problem with this was I had no plan B ! The next flight home was the day after so it would have been over-night stop in a travel lodge or hire a car, something I was prepared to do but eventually we came to an agreement on price so I paid for the car & drove her home ( which was fun travelling up in rush hour traffic on a Friday ) 5 hour journey took 7 hours ! all part of the adventure though & at least I had a nice car to drive the trip home in :)
Cool adventure :)

Many moons ago I traveled fromanchester to oxford to view a mk3 golf gti..(black ml3 16v were pretty rare). Described as mint...., it was *****. I was fuming and told the guy selling it he was ****.

for a set of rims ?
YES..............,
it was a limited edition light weight ABT rims (manufactured by OZ) from a VW dealer (BRAND NEW) covered in brand new continental sport tyres.
when I stuck them on the car the results were priceless.
if you really want something and love your car enough I see no reason why you wont go the distance to get it.

YES..............,
it was a limited edition light weight ABT rims (manufactured by OZ) from a VW dealer (BRAND NEW) covered in brand new continental sport tyres.
if you really want something and love your car enough I see no reason why you wont go the distance to get it.
Fair play it's an adventure I guess !!
But why not have them shipped ?

South Devon to Oxford and back for my current A3, twice.... once to view the car (I drove), the second time to collect it (friend drove me up, we convoyed back). 12 hours on the road in total!

154 miles to go and view my 3.2, came home to ponder, realised I wanted it bad, closed the deal over the phone the next day, (Sunday) and then spent a long week waiting to and do it all again to pick it up.
Worst part was, the average speed cameras went live on the A9 on the Tuesday, which made the last trip a nightmare...!
616 miles all in.

Depends on the value of the car I guess.
I bought my A4 from Coldstream - around 200 miles from Liverpool but the car was good and had a lengthy phone conversation with the seller before I went.
I had a specification of the car I wanted, so it meant searching further for the right one.

For cheaper run of the mill cars I have owned, I usually dont venture further than 50 miles.

YES..............,

Would love to see some pics

I bought my Audi A3 from Audi Worcester and I live in South Wales. I saw the car on Audi website and traded emails with one of their sales guys but I had a Vw polo I wanted to sell with a private plate on it.

A couple of weeks later I was in Stratford for my cousins birthday and thought I'd stop at Audi Worcester on my way home to check out the car. Took it for a test drive and loved it so much i done a deal there and then to also part ex my polo.

Had to put my private plate on retention which took 10 days and then drove up the 105 miles in my polo to Audi in Worcester. Done all the paperwork and had a nice 120 mile drive home as I had to detour a few times to test the car out down some fast roads.

I would travel a lot further for the right car.

I picked up my current S3 from Glasgow just after christmas 28th. I live in Leicester, saw images of the car spec etc. Done my own HPI checks ( not that they mean a lot nowadays) bought it on the day and drove it back. Was a very long day! Im willing to travel for the right car and the price was good for this one.