Brake pad warning, possible error

Slinger

Reaction score
2 days ago the following light came on whilst driving through Manchester on a very worn & bumpy road. The next time I came to use the car, which was later that same day, it had dissapeared until this morning when it came on again. Ive looked at the brake pads and all 4 have at least 5mm on them. Is that sufficent to set the warning off or is it likely an error?

might be a coincedence that it came on or maybe some crap flicked up and disturbed something which I think is doubtful but dont worry because I did over 1000mls with the alert on before I decided to change mine.

They do tend to come on very early, its just a warning thats all!
just keep an eye on the pads.

Just have a little check underneath though just incase.

Hi Slinger

A couple of things spring to mind here, adding 1+1 and getting 3 maybe, light on after bumpy road...then off...then back on, have you tried checking the connection to the pad sensor?

I have read that usually the brake pad warning is triggered with about 1/3 of the pad left.

Cheers J

I did think that maybe some crap got in the wrong place so I stuck a powerwash on them earlier but its still on.
Where abouts is the connection for the sensor, thats something to definately check.

Is there a way to knock the warning off? Its quite distracting when night driving.

Hi Slinger

Take off the wheel and at the back of the calliper,look up and there will be the sensor, take apart, give it a blow and a clean.

You may have to reset the original fault by getting it scanned or disconnecting the battery for ten minutes.
If after this the ( O ) light comes on then it will be time for pads soon.The pad has worn enough for the metal filament to make contact and therefore throw up the warning sign.

Cheers J

Hi Slinger

Take off the wheel and at the back of the calliper,look up and there will be the sensor, take apart, give it a blow and a clean.

You may have to reset the original fault by getting it scanned or disconnecting the battery for ten minutes.
If after this the ( O ) light comes on then it will be time for pads soon.The pad has worn enough for the metal filament to make contact and therefore throw up the warning sign.

Cheers J

Thanks to both of you for your advice :thumbsup:

Good stuff!!

I jetted my wheel arch that bad before it triggered the sensor for a few miles so be careful, I know it dont hurt but like you say, it gets annoying!!

Keep us informed :thumbsup:

my pad light came on today *** i thught i had finished puttin money into my car lol

I had the same problem with my a6 turned out that the wire from the brake sensor had snapped thus triggering the low brake sensor light on the display, turns out to be a common audi fault, just keep checking your pads regulary to gauge when time to replace. I just joined the cable up again and light went out but then a few weeks later the other side did the same lol.