Remap Devastation :(

StevoS3

Reaction score
Finally today arrived! was up at 8am dead made it to Auto Glass by 9, Windscreen fixed by 10!

So that was done! and the trip to get the "beast" mapped was started!

Got to my garage and had to wait for an hour for Custom Code to send the map to guy to go on the car, so went a drive upto the bentley garage for a look about for a bit.

Went back down and the map arrived! took 30 mins to apply the map everything went smoothly!

Guy took it out for a test drive and as he went to pull onto the main road we hear like an almost pop! He brought back in straight away and it was ticking pretty bad. He wasnt worried as he thought it was a typical coil pack problem, but I told him Iv just had 4 new coil packs and a new MAF etc

So he checked my timing belt and it hadnt slipped, then he done a compression check! Cylinder 2 and 3 are down 30% he says!

Had to leave the car with him and he's gonna try get to it tomorrow

Anyone had this problem or any to whats up?

Last edited:
Hope its nothing serious Stevo :icon_thumright:

Strange one ?...as the car was fine when it went in?....the compression could of been the same prior to compression check ..what was compression in the cylinders when he checked it ?...Tapping noise could be hydraulic tappet issue which in turn could cause compression issue to a certain degree..I would start at what they have done with map ...what was the power you were doing for , was it standard generic code or live mapping?..do you have any other engine mods?

I dont know what the compression was I didnt see, but I think he was just by the 1 cylinder as the 1 one was a higher reading than the others... I'm no mechanic! lol

Yeah it as a standard stage 1 Custom Code, I asked him if it might have anything to do with the remap and he said no cause its a mechanical noise and I asked him if it maybe anything to do with the timing cause the map changes timing etc and he said not while its sitting not doing anything.

No other engine mods, the only thing I changed on my car was my dump valve, fitted it in reverse last night to see what that stupid tinging noise as all about but it ran fine and all this morning it ran fine.

The money is there to sort it, was just really gutted cause I was more excited about today than I was at 8 years old on christmas eve! Couldnt even sleep lastnyt!

But thanks voorhees, I'm hoping its nothing serious as the FMIC and boost guage ill need to wait

But does does the map not need to have caused the problem?

Is it not down to them as you drove it there so the car wasn't broke in the first place.

If the map was the cause of the fault, then yes, since the guy didn't even make it to the main road, you would have thought it's the car at fault. It's a close call on whose to blame for something like this.

Hope it gets sorted out soon Stevo, the remap on an S3 really makes your day on the way home!

It wouldn't of been the map as you said he was pulling out onto the main road, unless he was absolutely gunning it but even then it shouldn't cause any harm.

Where do you think I stand with they'm covering the costs?

I mean if the map caused it, the guy will more than likely say it was going to happen anyway, just would have taken more time. But I suppose he'll have to find out what happened first.

He thinks it might have something to do with a chain of some sort, something to do with a tensioner that controls the chain. Not sure as he was talkin to him self more than me. He says worst case it'll be around £700 if its what he thinks is wrong with it

Thanks for the support guys!

yeah I thought that. I know the engines are a bit tickety but this was like I was running on 3 cylinder! not quite as bad but it sounded like and old fiesta and we all know how bad they can sound.

I meant the noise that I get from 007P DV, because I've fitted it reversed I get that noise. Dont like it thought and once this is sorted I'm going to put back in the normal possition.

hope you get it sorted mate what ever it is.... i dont think from what you say that you can blame the tuner..... he will have only applied the map to what was already there, and its a map thats tried and tested....downer is that remapping often finds weak spots - really hope its cheap easy fix for ya

I hate to say it mate, but a loud mechanical ticking sound and reduced compression between 2 and 3 points ot a blown fire ring between 2 and 3 to me....

when the Mini HG pops it sounds exactly like that and looses all power.

A remap is very likely to cause a dodgy headgasket to pop, as obviously you're pumping a load more boost into the cylinder. Head gasket failure is a very common downside to raising the boost on turbo engines, I'm actually really surprised the 20vt engine doesn't suffer from it all that frequently

yeah I know but its always worth a try

Ill let you guys know whats happening when I find out tomorrow, Monday...

Fingurs Crosd!

in addition to my last post, which was incredibly blunt, I really hope for your sake that's not the case mate!

Best of luck with the diagnosis, hope it doesn't cost too much to fix!

Nick, sounds like his car hadn't even got to the open road yet to make any boost.

I think this is a case of incredibly bad luck. Like Stevo says, you'll have to wait until you know what's failed to know the culprit.

Total bummer, good luck with the fix.

HTC, I see you're based in Crawley now. Shouldn't be too hard to spot your yellow A3, if that's what you're still driving...

Don’t like to point the figure, but if you have your car going for a remap, shouldn’t they have find out whether it is healthy to handle the map! other wise why go through all the heavy cost and headache, I remember when I took mine to AMD Essex they tested it, then drove it to make sure nothing was abnormal before they uploaded any files, I know that some other companies do even more extensive check outs before they touch it. we all can assume it's bad luck but at the end of the day they had it in their hand and it has been working ok before that, and these coincident are becoming too popular at the mapping centre I just wont buy these excuses, after all you pay a good price to get a good power delivery that will be reliable and wont empty your pocket. I hope it all works out well for you...

you should'nt be - its a metal gasket and supports >500bhp levels..
remap and head gasket failures are uber rare..... incorrect coolants used and corrosion is more likely head gasket failures..

sounds like some serously bad luck on this one
cc1 maps are on 100's of cars with no engine problems..
usual weak points post remap (everyones not cc) is coil packs can expire and blow out the spark from the increased cylinder pressures.

other 1.8t failures i have seen are valves, and cam belt/tensioners etc

mechanical failures are not software else they would be popping left right and centre, especially on code which is stable and running fine on many other cars

I feel for everyone involved.
unlucky dude

and in any case, compression being 30% down means mechanical damage pure and simple (either that or user error), which too could be possible given that it sounds like the new map was put on the car without any checks before hand

i know for a fact that JBS checked mine thoroughly before mapping and id be suprised if one of their dealers were to fit without such checks...they go without saying

Id explect them to do these checks too, prior to any work carried out, did he make you sign anything?
I know that I had to sign something when my remap was done, but that may have been for the RR..

Talk about a scare.. I drove 250miles to get my remap and RR and half way through the RR. a huge cloud of white smoke and a bang happened, and i thought id have a long chat with mr RAC on thw way home and a nice bill..

Luckily it was just my old intercoller pipes lined with oil, and my car had never been thrashed that hard before.

fault code checks are usually the norm, not full compression tests

this is a rare failure

these cars are getting old now, and the cars histories are probably not known
might have fsh, but if its avs, then its worthless anyhows imho - seriously coked engines when they have been on variable servicing.. on the avoid list if I were looking to buy one

If you heard an audible pop, and it's running like a bag of plop, has a boost hose not just come off? Sorry to state the obvious but it doesn't seem to of been mentioned... Or maybe one of the intercoolers couldn't deal with the extra boost and has cracked...

I have heard that 'pop' so many times popping boost hoses off....

Could of been than your compression was down before and it's purely coincidence....

Hmmmm, depends though as to how much load was on the engine etc. Was getting up on to the main road up a incline, did he blip the throttle... I agree it's a less likely scenario, however sometimes the right answer is the simplest/most obvious one.... Just sounded (from the description) like that may of been the cause...

i am with him, just bad luck is all

Sorry to hear about this steve. Nothing prepares you for bad news when it relates to your own car. I've had my fair share of bad news with mine also.

This ticking noise...and the Re-map guy saying about timing chains, how bad is it? Mine had a top engine rebuild with new parts to sort a problem with the timing chains last year. Costly too. Variable service intervals KILL the 1.8T engine. Why on earth Audi said to do it in the first place is beyond me. The engine internals just aren't built for the job of lengthy oil changes. The oil return pipework is a joke!!

Keep us up to date matey, be good to actually see the main cause of this problem!

G