Pipercross or BMC Panel Filter?

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I think they all give pretty similar results, to be honest.
I was going to have a Green Cotton panel filter put on when I get my remap, but the remap place deals with Pipercross and not Green Cotton so i'll probably end up with the Pipercross. Or I might buy a Green before I go for the 'map!

well its been proven that the airbox is adequate for mapped S3's with paper standard filters....your dilemma is how much the likes of a K&N will cost versus the cost of the amount of OEM filters your likely to buy in the cars life with you. I would maybe move to a K&N if i were going stage 3 but otherwise its a pointless exercise

Pretty sure the panel filters do the same thing. I opted for the Green Cotton one as it's a favourite around here. Didn't want a cone filter and risk the MAF.

aftermarket panels have been known to risk the MAF too!

thing is it is said and has been proven via testing that the OEM item does virtually the same as an aftermaket....a recent thread identified the cone as producing better airflow but failed to point out that the airflow was most probably hotter removing virtually any benefit

I've been warned against the pipercross foam filters in the past, because they are "foam" grit and dirt can weave its way through to the maf etc.

I have one sitting in my garage hardly used, when for the green cotton instead...

Cool thanks guys.. Interesting what u said about the foam pipercross one Leggy... I need a good one really as I've drilled my airbox (don't kick off everyone I've done it for the noise.. and I haven't noticed any loss even in the summer!) So I need a good filter really as it's sucking from my engine bay to.

Anyone know the best place to get a Green cotton one from?

Cheers

neither. both are a waste of time and money.

foam filters do filter well but you have to wash them with petrol which is grief and then you have to reoil them, which costs £10 for the oil etc

my S4 is using a paper filter and makes over 300bhp

so just leave the paper filter in and spend the money on something worthwhile