BMC Panel Filter (S3)

mattyboy199

Reaction score
Just sort of noticed these exsist, how do they rate against K & N ? Same thing i recon ? Also at less than 40quids i think their a bargin.

Matt

I cant imagine they make much odds mate.

All the panel filters are about the same really, cotton gauze or foam there just less restrictive.

Randomjim said:
All the panel filters are about the same really, cotton gauze or foam there just less restrictive.

I'd agree that they're all basically the same, but they're no less restrictive than the standard paper filter as long as it's changed regularly. They may give you a bit more induction noise.

go for one that isnt oiled, the k and n can damage the engine, the bmc is dry thats why i went for it, dont no if its made any difference cos only had the car a few days before i changed it.

im thinking about this cant decide wether to change the currnet filter in the box for a K&n panel or should i go for something like a cone and remove the box altogether? Ive heard you actually loose power though doing this?

What you think? Cone or replace panel filter?

Jason

Jason_letts said:
im thinking about this cant decide wether to change the currnet filter in the box for a K&n panel or should i go for something like a cone and remove the box altogether? Ive heard you actually loose power though doing this?

Yes you can loose power...when it's hot and the engine is drawing in hot air, you're loosing power over the standard airbox, when using a cone filter.

A K&N in the standard airbox won't give you any more power either...

The standard airbox is pretty good - good enough for 400BHP or so - and the standard filter isn't restrictive if clean...so why bother?

Unless you want more noise / bling...then go for it.

What you think? Cone or replace panel filter?

Cone filters can apparantly contribute to MAF failures...
Never heard of a tie up between the panel filters and failed MAFs...
Standard was good enough for me.

If you must go aftermarket, then a BMC or similar is probably the better option as long as you can route the inlet hose to a cold feed...which isn't easy on an S3.

My pipercross is fine, just spray a fine mist of oil and it'll be all good, and for 20quid cant grumble, i did notice the throttle response was a tad better tho. Hope that helps

a little off topic here but what's the benefit / drawbacks of oiling the panel filter - i've recently got a pipercross filter for my A3 but can't decide whether it's worth oiling or leaving it as standard and just wash it out regularly?

hijack over

if u spray to much oil it will get suckked thru and onto the MAF, but like i said b4, just very little spray and let it dry out overnight and it'll be fine

i havent looked yet but is there any de-restriction with the airbox. I will probably go for a BMC filter seems good value.