Imagine if you will the Millenium Falcon going into light speed when the stars out of the cockpit window go blurry then you should have an idea of what first and second gear is like :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: hydro s3 and andy1571
Imagine if you will the Millenium Falcon going into light speed when the stars out of the cockpit window go blurry then you should have an idea of what first and second gear is like :)

<tuffty/>

That-Is-Excellent-MrBurns.jpg

There's nothing wrong with reaching the speed limit as fast as you can :)

Some Police Officers would dissagree lol.

Looking forward to seeing some vids when your on your private track.

It does in fact go very well. I can honestly say i think its the fastest car i have been in. I have been in R8s and Ferraris, but the BT picks up like nothing else.

On the acceleration thing when i was young, i had a visit for the girls in blue trying to do me for uneccessray acceleration and gearchanges !!! WTF !!

Think the problems are nearly sorted... decided to have a look at redoing the fitment of the DV as I am getting a chirp changing gear indicating potential for compressor stall. Looking at the DV there was a kink in the pipe which looked restrictive so faffed with that a bit and looks better... while messing with this I noticed a stray pipe.... the pipe from the charge pipe to the bottom of the N75 valve had popped off.... no idea when but it would explain the excessive boost. Refitted double checking the clip and all is good again.

A quick change of map later and turns out that the first map was pretty close after all!!! Combination of the fuel pump problem, N75 pipe and DV issues had led us on a wild goose chase...

Now she holds around 1.5 bar and has some timing advance too (can't remember how much). Feels much more responsive and pulls just as well as before. All good... Bill would like to do a log or two more before we call it done but finally its all coming together.

<tuffty/>

No idea... looks like the MAF readings are maxing out as the readings we are getting on VAGCOM have a single consistent figure after around 5k rpm. Thinking the scaling maybe out or somat but gonna look at that next week sometime.

Once we know the MAF readings are accurate then I can do a quick airflow / 0.8

Currently the reading maxes out at 292.58 g/s which equates to 365 ish BHP at just over 5k rpm... still going after that so if the figure is accurate then the final bhp will be more I guess.

Will find out next week if the MAF readings are an issue and see what happens.

Once the car is fully sorted then I'll get her on a dyno for a proper figure but prob won't be until at least next month.

<tuffty/>

just spent my sundy afternoon reading tuftys thread and i've got to hand it to him and bill are legends would like to see it got once its fully run in :hubbahubba: any ideas on cheap disc and pad combos got a 99 s3 with brembos on the front

Not much more to update you with at the moment. Car is running fine. Not had much chance to 'drive' it to report back on spool/boost @rpm's etc but I have tweaked the boost a tad and she appears to be holding 1.7bar happily.

Things on the snagging/immediate list to do are:
* Turbo to block water pipe... this is 'seeping' so it will be removed and Bill's 'pipe guy' will be tasked with making a pukker crimped version.

* Driveshaft inner gaiter v DP issue... going to look at moving the DP about on the v-band connection to the turbo to give more clearance as an interim solution and see what the long term affects are with a mind to when I remove the DP for ceramic coating (at some point) to engineer some clearance in then.

* Change the prototype fuel pump fittings for production stainless steel ones but I do have a feint whiff of fuel coming from the back so I will look to get her on the ramp this weekend for a look to see if there is a leak anywhere first.

* Re-bleed the brakes running the ABS pump this time as I think I still have too long a pedal... they do work veeeeeeery well though and so glad I changed them.

* Change the boost gauge. My current boost gauge is 'ok' but 1.5bar and above is in red and not very readable at the moment.

20090831_IMG_6382.jpg

I am thinking of getting a Stack boost gauge but also debating on going Liquid S3 (http://racediagnostics.com/cms/index.php?page=liquids3). I have had a chat with Jim (freegeek) about potential issues using it on a car as modded as mine and things are looking good apart from the boost gauge part only reading up to the MAP sensor limit of 1.5bar which isn't much use to me. Jim is looking into this.

If anyone has got a Liquid setup (especially on a BT S3) then please let me know how you have got on with it as I am quite keen to get one :)

* Still getting a 'chirp' from the turbo when I change gear which is the onset of compressor stall, its not much and sounds cool but not gonna help performance much. It was less when the boost was 1.5bar but since tweaking it up a bit its more apparent so might mean DV relocation or just a bigger DV. Bill runs a huge DV on his Ibiza so maybe thats a solution but it does detract from my OEM look a bit.

I am busy helping Bill out in the workshop at the moment as its the least I can do for him letting me use the workshop now that my 'apprenticeship' is more or less complete so will be getting back onto mine once the backlog is cleared.

<tuffty/>

298g/s certainly aint a shy figure. Least you know its doing the job lol.

If you're thinking of going for a Liquid Gauge the information on this page might be useful to you Tuffty;

http://racediagnostics.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=1_27&products_id=55

...If your car generates greater torque than this limit or consumes more air than the MAF limit then the liquid will not show the actual values but those reported by the engine ECU. It is likely that these limits will only be reached if cars have been fitted with &#8220;big&#8221; turbos...

Apologies if you already knew this!

The build looks fantastic - a pleasure to read about.

JS.... the chap he's dealing with is the creator of this impressive piece of equipment mate..... Racediagnostics is the retail site :icon_thumright:

JS.... the chap he's dealing with is the creator of this impressive piece of equipment mate..... Racediagnostics is the retail site :icon_thumright:

Ah yes.
I read the whole thread on the Liquid Gauge and all the info on the Race Diagnostics site... but what I failed to read was;

I have had a chat with Jim (freegeek) about potential issues using it on a car as modded as mine and things are looking good apart from the boost gauge part only reading up to the MAP sensor limit of 1.5bar which isn't much use to me. Jim is looking into this.

D'oh!

Tufftybloke,

I have one on my car mate and the boost gauge goes upto 2000mbar its a good bit of kit, when I arrange a date with Bill to fit the brakes I'll let you know and you can come have a look and we can plug it into yours and test it if you want.

Chris.

Sounds like a plan Chris... get it booked in and I'll take you for a spin in mine to test it out ;P

<tuffty/>

if you go for the stack gauges you could always copy mine as there as oem as your get looks wise http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=55649

obviously you dont have to use the pillar pods but the gauge is fantastic nobody no's there non genuine,
pictures in the link are not very good though can get better if you want

Thanks Kev... still leaning towards the Liquid at the moment I must admit... Gadgets are cool :D

<tuffty/>

Im not 100% up on the liquid s3,
But doesnt it read the ecu??
like the same things as vag com?
I have decided a would rather fit standalone gauges ... ive fitted an innovate boost gauge and an AFR gauge from them too,
That way... if a sensor on the car goes duff i will be able to see the diffrence in the readings. One pillar mount. one vent mount.

you going to fit maf gauge too if doubling up checking is a concern (not aware of such a gauge mind you)

are you expecting differences? Watching 2 gauges and driving is not easy or safe.. I hate trying to watch stuff when on the loud pedal

one gauge is nice when read off ecu (liqui) and a check what its does under boost etc..
all in one is nice

limitation on boost of factory map sensor to 2550mb tho for those running more

there's vids and stuff on the liqui on their webby.. quite cool gizmo.. ranks high on the i want scale (if i ran stock management) - full on LCD dash in badgerwagen so my gizmo fix is appeased :)

Last edited:
Well i can see what the boost is doing and what the fueling is like at a glance. not going through a menu.
My car used to throw up preasure drop fault codes before , I checked every pipe. replaced all the vacume pipes... dv... and much more. still got the fault code. But after digging deeper it was a faulty sensor. A liquid gauge or vag com would read the fault from the sensor...
People have diffrent views on what the want. and how they want it dispayed... that was my choice.

i like the liquid.....saw it on warleydaddy's car when he dropped the TIP i bought off at mine....a doddle to fit (he took it off and plugged into mine at the time within half an hour)....really nice item, his was the vent fit as opposed to the modded vent...id go for the modded vent though as you could see slightly where the vent blades had been removed.... ****** good bit of kit from what i saw... :)

Well i can see what the boost is doing and what the fueling is like at a glance. not going through a menu.
My car used to throw up preasure drop fault codes before , I checked every pipe. replaced all the vacume pipes... dv... and much more. still got the fault code. But after digging deeper it was a faulty sensor. A liquid gauge or vag com would read the fault from the sensor...
People have diffrent views on what the want. and how they want it dispayed... that was my choice.
i have to agree with your point of view and think its a valid point to put out there,

I wasnt slaggin anybodys views or products...
I like the S3 gauge. do you unplug the gauge to plug vag com in?? can you hide the plug ?

whats the liqui gauge like in daylight shining? can you still clearly see the screen or does is reflect badly or anything?

It plugs directly into the port which you obviously click out of the dash panel....so yes you would have to unplug it to plug in the laptop... from memory the screen had good visibility, it was a sunny day and was easy enough to read in direct sunlight, i would imagine it would have been better with the door shut due to the tinted glass..... the screen had a matt finish so as to reduce glare, all in all its a damn good product IMO with what seems a crappy lil joystick - it's actually really easy to manouver

Best bet is to mail warleydaddy to see what the long term useability is like....

Tim

they are, only thing i didnt like due to me not having full vagcom was the bits it didnt include such as the functions to log ....not sure id have used them but think for the money i could have had vagcom which would have served a better purpose overall

the liquid is for show or for modded cars id say where you need to know the info its delivers..... personally i didnt think id get the use out of it on my mapped only S3

Im not 100% up on the liquid s3,
But doesnt it read the ecu??
like the same things as vag com?
I have decided a would rather fit standalone gauges ... ive fitted an innovate boost gauge and an AFR gauge from them too,
That way... if a sensor on the car goes duff i will be able to see the diffrence in the readings. One pillar mount. one vent mount.

I believe Liquid was inspired by VAGCOM and the desire to have VAGCOM like features without having a lappy with you. Uses the cars sensors (as VAGCOM does).... from the website...

Our first product "liquid" was originally designed for the Audi TT Mk1, inspired by the capabilities of vag-com, but providing a solution to the problem of convenience and graphical display of the diagnostic data.

do you unplug the gauge to plug vag com in?? can you hide the plug ?

The diag socket is easily removed from the lower part of the dash from what I have seen and from what I have read you can plug Liquid in and hide the wiring behind the lower dash panel. This would mean of course that you would need to pull all this out again to plug VAGCOM back in but tbh Liquid does pretty much all most people need from VAGCOM bar logging so if you really did need to use VAGCOM it would be worth the effort to fiddle to get Liquid unplugged and VAGCOM plugged in...What I may look to do is try and get another socket and wire it in parallel, fit a switch in between the power wires (as Liquid must get power from the OBD socket) so that way Liquid can be left plugged in behind the dash and if I need to use VAGCOM then I can switch Liquids power off and use VAGCOM in the original port socket

someone set up a group buy i want one they sound cool
Liquid group buy FTW...

Gadgets are coooooll

... on it!!!

<tuffty/>

I have to admit the liquid is a great bit of kit but the novelty has worn off with it now and it has a home in the glove box in it's bare form, I did have it mock fitted for a while but at night it reflected in my drivers window right in view of my wing mirror so it didn't stay there for long, I just comes out now to scan mine & friends cars when needed.

One good thing about them is jim is always updating the software on it so it can do more things, just lately you can now have 4 guages at the same time like intake temp, exhaust temp, oil & water temp boost vs requested boost is also handy, oh and he's just added a rev counter to it too!!

Nice thread anyway tuffty!

I have initiated a discussion with Jim at race diagnostics and a group buy is feasible. I need to look into how it will work as the A4/S4 guys are interested too.... I will put it all together in a separate thread as I don't want to let my build thread go off topic with that...

Small update... discovered a small weep from the new fuel pump but had a feeling this would happen as I didn't have the right sized copper washer too hand for the larger pump fitting and 'opened up' one with a smaller hole. This will be fixed at the weekend where I will look to adjust the DP too to give my a bit more clearence for the driveshaft.

I have now booked myself in for a dyno run for Friday 30th October so will post the results of that next weekend after its done :)

<tuffty/>

no, just the guy fitting it... LOL!! (thats me btw for the uninitiated)

<tuffty/>

Took delivery of my Liquid S3 kit from Race Diagnostics the other day. I realise I have set up a group buy but seeing as the uptake is a bit slow I just went ahead and bought one anyway.

Only really been faffing as I have not had much chance to fit it properly yet. Getting myself sorted for the dyno run on Friday so once that is done then I will assess the Liquid properly and take pics etc for a write up...

Roll on Friday :D

<tuffty/>