Exhaust vibration?

S3-Oski

Reaction score
Hi all i have noticed if i my car in neautral and say rev it to 3500rpm and let off quickly i get a rattle/ buzzing nose from the exhaust like something is loose?

I had a quick look today could not see anything,

will have a proper look tommorrow day armed with my socket set,

is there any common parts that come loose?

i was thinking maybe the heat shield thing over the cats, but tbh sound like its soming from the front?? cheers all Oski

Ive found the same problem only when i pull away out my drive way but seems to correct itsself

Had a look and cant see any problems

Only thing i can come to think of is that the exhaust system ive got sits really low and might of catched in the past and come alittle loose

If you find out let us know

Ive found the same problem only when i pull away out my drive way but seems to correct itsself

Had a look and cant see any problems

Only thing i can come to think of is that the exhaust system ive got sits really low and might of catched in the past and come alittle loose

If you find out let us know

Hi mate i will have a good look tommorrow, if yours corrects itself its possibly loose and the heat makes it expand sealing the loose bit up maybe lol i not sure will let you know though mate

Could be your cat starting to break down. I have exactly the same problem on my Galaxy at the moment, rev it and it rattles at about 1250 revs on it's way back to 1000 revs (idle).

Get under there and give the cat a good shake, you'll soon hear if the things breaking down.

One of the common problems apparently on S3s over time are the heat shields on the CATs start lossen and cause vibrations... Very very slight at first, mines just started to do it to! Can only hear it if my windows are down, just needs a spot of weld or the nuts re-tightening of there not rusted which they prob will be! My bet would be that if it's slight, anything else would be really obvious!

Hopefully that'll be it then and not the cat itself!

Let us know how you get on Oski.

fran s3 I agree with you. I got the exact same problem as described and its does seem to be the heatsheild above the cat vibrating/rattling. Thought it was the engine undertray at first.

Mine does this, only does it when I first start the car and its idling around 1100 before it warms up and settles down!

As has been said, could be the heat shield.

I've got an A3, which had one of the little brackets halfway through the system snap at the weld - so yours may not be the same - but it was really easy to fix so hopefully nothing to major for you also.

My car does it too, sounds like its coming from the front right wheel arch area though. :(

Only when its started from cold and sometimes on a warm idle...very hard to trace!. When I want it to do it.....silence!.

The local rip-off Audi dealer told me my heat shield was loose (there is a little rattle at low rev). They wanted nearly £300 to replace it but glad to see in these posts it can be welded (which I suspected). So getting my local, trustworthy garage to look at it when its serviced next week.

(A3 1.8T Sport 2001)