Anyone got some s3 Front Springs?

alijames

Reaction score
Hi All,

Had the dreaded 'boooooiiiiiing' going over a speed bump this morning.

Have not had chance to jack her up yet, but from searching the forum, the symptoms sound exactly like a snapped spring. Just had the rears replaced for MOT last month as well.

Anyone got a pair of standard springs left lying around from an upgrade, as the stealers are after £67.20 each with payment up front? Must be worth a few quid.

Failing that, anyone suggest an alternative supplier, as the 2 I've tried this morning, suggest dealer only?

Cheers,

mate if only this had come up last week. i was just clearing out my garage and chucked away my two front springs. sorry mate

mate if only this had come up last week. i was just clearing out my garage and chucked away my two front springs. sorry mate

Arrrgh!! Ah well. such is life...

Cheers,

I've got a pair of new H&R -25mm springs in my garage, are they any good to you? When one of my rear springs snapped I bought a full set of -25mm H&R springs, but the fronts wouldn't fit on to the R32 struts I have fitted. Also, the friend that fitted the R32 stuff kept my original S3 struts with the springs still attached, I'll be seeing him later in the week and will see if they're still there. Are either of these options any good to you?

I've got a pair of new H&R -25mm springs in my garage, are they any good to you? When one of my rear springs snapped I bought a full set of -25mm H&R springs, but the fronts wouldn't fit on to the R32 struts I have fitted. Also, the friend that fitted the R32 stuff kept my original S3 struts with the springs still attached, I'll be seeing him later in the week and will see if they're still there. Are either of these options any good to you?

Thanks for replying. Not sure I want to lower it, as it scrapes on a couple of the b@st@rd speed hump s near me. Also, the lowering would also affect he camber etc, which IIRC, it non-adjustable on the standard set-up.

I would be interested in the originals though. What sort of wonga would you be after? Both for the springs, and the complete struts? Although it might be a little tricky to get them down to Bicester...

Cheers,

Amusing tale from this morning. Thought I'd pop down to Kwik Fit to avail myself of their ramp facilities to have a look.

1. They would not let me look under the car while it was on the ramp (Health & Safety mate!)

2. Apparently I must replace my shocks at the same time as replacing springs.

3. They advised that my ARB links need replacing as they are rusted. Quite impressive considering they were only replaced in January!!

Wish I knew why people went there... Oh that's right, they trust big franchises (same with banks?)

Cheers,

Thanks for replying. Not sure I want to lower it, as it scrapes on a couple of the b@st@rd speed hump s near me. Also, the lowering would also affect he camber etc, which IIRC, it non-adjustable on the standard set-up.

I would be interested in the originals though. What sort of wonga would you be after? Both for the springs, and the complete struts? Although it might be a little tricky to get them down to Bicester...

Cheers,

If it scrapes on speed bumps already are you sure it's standard? Or are the speed bumps down there bigger/pointier than up here? Years ago when my lowered A4 was scraping on speed bumps I just put bigger wheels on.

I'll make it a priority to pop down to my mates unit, to see if they're still there and to question whether he thinks they're his, seeing as he saved them. The struts are complete, with the calipers and disks, do you want it all? What do you think they're worth?

According to Autoroute you're 122 miles and 2hours 22 minutes away and it'd be £40 in fuel. If you want them I could meet you on the M1 somewhere (Leicester Forest?).

Sounds like everyone has been spring cleaning this last week...

Cheers,

Try pm leshkin, he uprated his, not sure if he kept them. If I remember I will ask him at the office tomorrow.

Hi All,

Just got back from work, and got the car up on stands to have a butchers and it's definitely a snapped off-side front coil. Does not seem to have damaged the shock happily!! It has snapped just below where the coil changes size, about 1.5 turns from the top.

So hoping not everyone has been to the tip this last week...

Thanks Bruce. I'll try him.

Cheers,

I just spoke to the garage who upgraded my suspension for me and they still have my old springs, how much are they worth to you ?
As far as I am aware they are the original springs and the car had done about 100k when I changed them.

I am based in Ashbourne so I would guess that you would want them posting also.

James.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for you offers of help, both those that could, and those that could have last week
smilie.gif

I've taken the advice of some, said 'sod it' and ordered some new Wietec's from DPM. SHould be in next week...

Cheers,

Good man!

That's the same kit I got and I'm very happy with it! Make sure you get the topmounts changed at the same time..it's only £30 worth of parts and the mounts have to come out anyway.

Andy

Hi Guys,

Thanks for you offers of help, both those that could, and those that could have last week
smilie.gif

I've taken the advice of some, said 'sod it' and ordered some new Wietec's from DPM. SHould be in next week...

Cheers,