Revo vs CC

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
I went over to Jimmeh's at the weekend to get some detailing hints and tips.... whilst there we decided to give the Revo and CC's a test on some private roads (also as Jim wanted to know his car was running right).

We found that there was virtually nothing in it, accelerated from 2nd, 3rd and 4th in several different instances.....obviously there are many variables but i think given the amount of try outs we gave it, it was pretty conclusive.... the Revo seemed to slightly edge (centimetres) it upto around the 80mph mark, then the CC started to pull back what was a miniscule lead.... all things considered and from what we found that day, I would recommend both maps and really wouldnt bet anything on either winning as it would be the best driver on the day.

Knew we'd get some evidence buttoned down in the end:salute:

Still want that 1/4 mile Jas...but only if you get some new mirrors, dont want you getting an aerodynamic advantage over me , especially when its that close:laugh:

how were things 80 and onwards to top speed tim? very interesting this.

One thing thats put me off a Revo map so far, and someone correct me if I'm mis-reading or have this wrong, but doesn't the website http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=201 have the wrong torque figure down for the engine...?

Isn't the S3 280NM standard and not 210NM? Or have I just been looking at remapped figures too much instead of standard?

We found that there was virtually nothing in it, accelerated from 2nd, 3rd and 4th in several different instances.....obviously there are many variables but i think given the amount of try outs we gave it, it was pretty conclusive.... the Revo seemed to slightly edge (centimetres) it upto around the 80mph mark, then the CC started to pull back what was a miniscule lead.... all things considered and from what we found that day, I would recommend both maps and really wouldnt bet anything on either winning as it would be the best driver on the day.

So what we really learned here boys and girls is............

if you want a decent remap, go to Jabbasport:moa:

no ideas of numbers as really dont see the point in them anymore, they are all fudged in one way shape or form......

Rav, we came to conclusion that cc started to pull upto 120 mark a tiny fraction quicker although i did say to Jim that with it being 1/4mile that im interested in, it probably wouldnt be advantagious to have CC....cant really emphasise the difference, tis really minimal

yup leggy, cya on the strip mate:moa:

It was certainly an interesting test.. good job got those private test tracks, huh?

I hear what you're saying RE the 1/4 Tim. It would also be good to see the cars from low in 2nd and through the gears.. I think the slowest speed we set off from was ~40.

Revo, IMO, is more usuable. I took a looong detour home tonight, boy I'm still pleased with the car.

I think it all comes down to what you need/want out of the car.

Would of been good if we had a passenger to film us on the mobile.. maybe next time.

Tim, fire across a few emails should you require anymore info on the old Detailing side of things.

Good to meet you.

did you go out in each others car to compare driveability???

I have had both on mine and can honestly say that in my opinion the cc didn't come close to the revo.

I went as a passenger in Tim's, he did the same in mine..

The CC had a noticeable stronger top end.. the REVO died a lot quicker than his. It seemed to pull all the way through the gears.

My downfall is, in certain circumstances, changing gear too late. I'd like to see a power graph showing where the power dies... I've read theres hardly any point taking it beyond 5k in a REVO'd S3?

this is all very dependant on how the car is setup.... which is down to what the driver wants, what settings are in the car?!

I went as a passenger in Tim's, he did the same in mine..

The CC had a noticeable stronger top end.. the REVO died a lot quicker than his. It seemed to pull all the way through the gears.

My downfall is, in certain circumstances, changing gear too late. I'd like to see a power graph showing where the power dies... I've read theres hardly any point taking it beyond 5k in a REVO'd S3?

I tryed out revo before going the custom code way...
I felt the revo was a harder pull but for a shorter time... if that makes sence? It ran out of puff sooner than custom code. Ive always been a ****** for late gear changes so i like the custom code map for now.
I tryed both maps on the same car so nothing other than the map was changed.
I also found the mpg was slightly better with the custom code set up.

Recently went in an S3 that was cc'd and was very impressed they way it pulled round to 6000rpm with no fuss, very smooth... it's down to personal prefrence really....I prefer the turbo to come in aggressively and get pinned in the seat !!! But that's just me :)

i 2nd that leggy, i love the feeling of being pushed back into my car. although im very interested in top end pull and how the cc rates over the revo.
carl: can you get the revo map to pull as it does lower and then maintain that and higher end then?

Jim good to meet you too fella....you know you'll get bombarded with any queries:laugh:, no danger

We did discuss driving each others briefly but time was pressing on for the day and patience isnt one of my virtues.....

Revocarl - Revo wouldnt allow JBS to do what 'they' wanted to make the map as smooth as the CC apparently (according to CC themselves) - yes its down to personal preference andTBH id be happy with either map but have to agree with Jim, we could do with booting it from low revs in 2nd and also a standing start, private road wasnt very empty that day:sly:

our software can be set up to be linear and smooth but most customers will opt for an agressive setup, it's all down to what you want hence we offer variable switching!

where did you both meet was it up north or in the midlans. u'll have to let me know n i'd join you on this private road. i'd be interested to see how a cc feels to drive

this is all very dependant on how the car is setup.... which is down to what the driver wants, what settings are in the car?!

I couldn't tell you..

I brought the car 'standard'. To my dissapointment, I went to have a chat and ad emo installed of REVO (quattronics..) but I was told I couldn't buy it.. "why is that?", "Because Jim, you already have it!" D'oh!

YES, I'd saved myself some £500.. but I thought I had so much more to look forward too.

I've brought the yellow spring for my 007p now, be interesting to see if this can support the boost for a little longer!?

RAV, I believe there is a meet on the 28th Feb in Ulley (near Sheffield) that I'm hoping to attend. I know Tim certainly is.. but I can't be too sure yet. Our 'meet' was in my neck of the woods, Notts/Lincs. (East Mids)

ill be keeping my ear out for that. what colour was the spring in ur 007p then? i havent actually looked at the colour of mine.
CARL can you confirm what colour spring you should have with a revo remap?

I think the threads titled 'Local members' or similar.. have a read.

As standard, my 007p came with the Green spring. Now, going on what I've read on here, I believe the Yellow spring is the commonly used one for cars which have been mapped...

Green- Stock map 5-15 psi
Yellow- Remapped 15-23 psi
Blue- Remapped/ big turbo, etc 23-30 psi
Red- Everything! 30+ psi

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=572056&postcount=13

*EDIT - ^^Give Shaun a call at AMD.. I phoned through late last night expecting to leave a voicemail but he was catching up with emails etc so was able to put the order through on the phone. Very helpful chap. :)

Hope this helps.

How easy is it to see what spring I've currently got, do you haveto take it apart or can you see visually ?? Not with the car at the minute...

I think the threads titled 'Local members' or similar.. have a read.

As standard, my 007p came with the Green spring. Now, going on what I've read on here, I believe the Yellow spring is the commonly used one for cars which have been mapped...

Makes no difference when using the 007p in the normal orientation. Boost acts onto the side of the piston, so spring strength only effect the amount of noise during dumping.

I've run my car at 30psi+ on the green spring and still do with my current BT at 23psi.

If you run the valve reversed, then the spring would make a difference.

How easy is it to see what spring I've currently got, do you haveto take it apart or can you see visually ?? Not with the car at the minute...

You can unscrew the top whilst still fitted to the car. You might have to remove the small vacuum pipe though.

Spring will be all one colour or have a flash of coloured paint on it.

Easy job mate. The top half of the DV just unscrews. You'll probably have to dissconected the top connection (sorry, I don't know which is what..) et voila - you have a spring.

HTC, what do you mean by reversing the valve? So, with my yellow spring on the way (as my set up currently sits), I can only expect to have a different dump noise - no 'holding boost' values etc?

So there's no real point in worrying about it anyway, if it's green or yellow, doesn't make any odds.....

Hmm, I'll wait for HTC's responce. On going on what i've read, it's defo worth installing the yellow spring on a 'mapped S3. As I say, I'm not technical myself, I'm just going on what others' have said.

For the sake of £5 though, it's gotta be worth a try.

£5! Forge sent me a complete set of springs with with shims out for free.

Reversed means inserting the side of the DV that would usually see boost pressure into the turbo inlet pipe. Boost then acts on the bottom of the piston and you get a gay new noise when dumping.

forge_side.jpg

In my experience and chatting to others (i've been all through the range of springs) the spring made zero difference on mine with regards to holding boost......they all held. People have said that the pressure on the side of the piston can eventually lift it, but I've not seen it. I'm happy with the green for my car.

In theory a stronger spring closes the valve quicker, so you can get back on boost quicker. Go too far and it won't dump at all..........more new gay noises.

Regarding the original post. Not good to go too mad on low end torque. The K04 really can produce some large torque figures there. I've seen busted standard TT/S3 engines from this.

Nice to get that kick in the butt feeling though :)

Good call HTC.... unsure whether the 1/4mile sounds appealing now, last thing i want to have to do is replace the chuffing engine on my heavily depreciating brick:laugh:

no ideas of numbers as really dont see the point in them anymore, they are all fudged in one way shape or form......

True, numbers in isolation don't mean much, but in this case it would be interesting to see the supposed numbers and graphs next to each other together with the 'real life' opinions of the cars side by side? It's likely show us that all the gassing about bhp is, in real life, pointless.

Regarding the original post. Not good to go too mad on low end torque. The K04 really can produce some large torque figures there. I've seen busted standard TT/S3 engines from this.

I thought they were safe(!) up to about 330lbft? Without changing internals...

High torque at low revs without keeping ignition knock in check and high power and revs can kill engines on standard internals and a bad tune. Plus some people can't resist manual boost controllers or other "performance enhancing" mods.

Mate of mine have a TT engine in his MK2 golf with K04, he was putting out silly numbers with stupid boost and ignition timing. Tuned by a mate at a now defunct company.
Big boost, high exhaust temps, bye-bye big end bolts.

Loads of products these days and better knowledge. Less failures. Over here anyway. Loads of great busted engine pics in america.

ah so just to clarify, we should be safe with the CC's and Revo's? highlight 'should':uhm: