Henry's B8 A4 3.0 TDI Ordinary Build Thread

LC-MS-Enjoyer

Reaction score
I've really enjoyed reading all the B8 3.0TDI build threads online and thought I would start one of my own. I've owned the car for coming up to 2 years and thought it might be useful for prospective owners looking at high mileage B8 (3.0 TDI's) to see what they're in for.

A few disclaimers before I start, I am not a mechanic and I am definitely not a welder! This car is my daily driver, I love the car and I'm just trying to keep it alive for as long as possible!

This is my first Audi, my last car was an E46 330CI so I'm new to the platform.

Onto the car...

Purchased back in 2022 with 163,000 Miles on the clock - took a bit of a gamble as it was relatively high mileage and I really knew nothing about the platform - car was Px to a dealer and then sold to me. I know nothing about the previous history of the car other than its service history, which was surprisingly good.

Car is early 2008. Engine is CAPA and gearbox is KMU. I really wanted and A4 as I have seen so many 3.0 TDI A5's but never come across any A4's even rarer to me were the saloons.

IMG 4249

IMG 4250

IMG 4251

Car is SE but came with sports suspension adaptive cruise and lots of nice extras.

Like I said - I know nothing about the history of the car but found some clues in the cars phonebook.

IMG 8335

IMG 8334

Some numbers for Kush and somebody called fat legs told me all I needed to know... this car had probably spent most of its life at redline.

After getting the car I realised the last service was done a month before it was part exchanged. I couldn't work out why anybody would service their old car before trading it in to the dealer. I guess they had found something when servicing that spooked the owner and then forced sale (more on that later).

Whilst familiarising myself with the new engine bay, I took a look at the air filter hoping it wasn't something aftermarket ( I had some bad experience's with oiled filters).

IMG 4296

Apparently was only changed 500 miles ago....

It was due a change so swapped in a new MANN filter but managed to shear the MAF connector whilst putting it back together.

IMG 4370

This is where it went a little bit downhill for me...

I ordered a replacement connector from the dealer and continued to drive the car with the MAF unplugged - it ran fine so I didn't worry. Bad idea.

IMG 4418

Managed to block my DPF up nice and good - cheaped out and bough OBDElelven to read the codes. Sure enough DPF codes and some relating to the swirl flap motors (I had read about these failing on lots of other threads so wasn't surprised).

New connector came - little bit of soldering and it was working like new.

IMG 4430

Once my MAF was back I decided that this was the time for some DPF work, EGR and swirl flap delete and a good map. Only one man for the job in my mind.....

IMG 4580

Huge shoutout to Bobby for doing the work and a great map too, completely transformed the car!

The car is now back and running amazing, pulls and sounds great!

As the car is running really well at this point I will round off the first post.

Its been a long journey over the past 2 years and this was just the beginning - I will update the thread in segments so the posts aren't overwhelmed with all the images.

Reactions: Audi_Racer, spartacus 68 and bobby singh
at least you took it to the right person for a remap

Reactions: LC-MS-Enjoyer
Shortly after the map I got round to servicing the car - given the state the air filter was in I wasn't so sure the last service had actually been done.

IMG 4839 1

I was shocked at the oil capacity of the engine - something like 7 liter's (at least for the CAPA). Old oil looked fine though, no glitter or lumps of metal.

There was a a lot of oil on the top of the bell housing and running down the side, looked to be coming from turbo / swirl flap motor area. I imagine this is all the oil they found on the last service and possibly spooked the owner. I cleaned up and made a note to check back later.

When I got under the car I noticed the state of the pinch welds, they had been completely smashed in (presumably not jack pad adapters had been used) and had allowed a lot of water ingress causing them to start rusting (more on that later).

I had no issues with the car for the next month or two, until I started to get a clanging sound when going over speed bumps.

IMG 4707

The culprit - bottom of the drivers side coil spring had snapped off and was rattling around.

IMG 4742

Had a fun time trying tow work out what springs I needed but eventually got there, I got two new springs for the front as the rears looked in really good shape, maybe they had been changed quite recently.

IMG 4756

Old vs New

I didn't realise when I bought the car but the struts stiffen up when in dynamic mode - they have an electrical connector. I was also getting a periodic suspension fault to do with this, but couldn't find a replacement so just left it. I think you can buy connectors that are "delete kits".

IMG 4757

Coil springs installed - no more clanging.

I got another month out of the car until I started to get a violent wheel shake on the motorway (at speed). I tried having wheels balanced but no luck. I had read about the wheel bearings failing on B8s so sought to check and sure enough that was the case.

IMG 5489

Bought an NTY part pre pressed as I dont have a press myself.

IMG 5508

Worst Job on the car to date... I don't own a slide hammer but I wish I did. Genuinely took me 1-2 hours to get the old bearing out of the knuckle, it was completely frozen in there.

New wheel bearing cured the wobble!

Front tyres were pretty tired and I'd never heard of the brand AVON before, but got some brand new Toyo Proxes 2 for cheap and spwapped them on

IMG 6702

I got another month or two out of the car before my next issues, which I will report back on in another post.