Brake Pad Choice

I didn’t think that’d be necessary? Has anyone had this before ?

Did you wire brush the Cali per and pad holder, there is usually a crusty build up of brake dust in the slots. If they are clean then a bit of filing will help them fit. Also a smear of copper grease will ease their operation in the tight corners.

Yes I did, perhaps I needed to do more tho. Just a normal hand file will be fine?

I mean it’s not just me is it, they’re definitely the right ones? It must be the need for some heavy handed filing

In my experience, the right ones fit without any need to be trimmed or adjusted. They just fit. Having replaced all 4 discs and pads on mine 18 months ago, the only issue I had was a seized caliper. All pads went straight in.
If they don't fit, they aren't the correct ones.

Reactions: Paddyposh
91C86A29 88CB 416C 84F4 B60734B05A08

Those are the ones. Haven’t checked various sources and also from here it seems these are the correct ones

we are talking about half a mil I’d say?

View attachment 198910

Those are the ones. Haven’t checked various sources and also from here it seems these are the correct ones

we are talking about half a mil I’d say?
They are the same ones I have bought but not fitted yet. Looking on a bigger screen at your photos I can see a little difference in the shape of the wings top and bottom of the pads. Shouldn’t be an issue if you file a little to make them fit. Different brands always have subtle differences that need fettling so 1/2 mm shaved of here and there will be ok, take your time and shave a bit off until they just clip in.

They are the same ones I have bought but not fitted yet. Looking on a bigger screen at your photos I can see a little difference in the shape of the wings top and bottom of the pads. Shouldn’t be an issue if you file a little to make them fit. Different brands always have subtle differences that need fettling so 1/2 mm shaved of here and there will be ok, take your time and shave a bit off until they just clip in.

Thanks. I will give it another go and file the caliper again to make sure all the crap is off of it then try with the pad wings. It just threw me a bit as I hadn't done them before, just expected them to slot in.

After I fitted my old ones back, when stationary I noticed a slight hiss when I pressed the peddle. Drove it round the block and tested the brakes several times and they were fine, bit odd but seemingly ok.

It’s just pushing a lot of brake fluid through as the pistons have been prised back more than usual. Good luck on your 2nd attempt.

Thank you!

Got my MOT this week, I know the guidelines changed and it is 1.5mm the legal limit. Will my current ones pass the MOT, or is it just more on overall braking performance? Just in case I struggle to get time this week before the MOT. Pic of current pads below:

Brakepads

I think you’ll get away with that as an advisory as long as the pad warning light is not on.

Based on Nessy’s recommendation I’ve gone and bought the Textar pads but are you sure they are the best these days. Made in Romania?
I have had textar pads on my S3 for about 2 yrs and they stop car brillaintly and would highly recommend them to anyone , once my pads run down it will be back to textar pads as i have total faith in them

I have had textar pads on my S3 for about 2 yrs and they stop car brillaintly and would highly recommend them to anyone , once my pads run down it will be back to textar pads as i have total faith in them
Have you been in hibernation since last November, I hear it does get cold and dark up there in the frozen north:smile new:

Have you been in hibernation since last November, I hear it does get cold and dark up there in the frozen north:smile new:
Have recengly relocated to a place that has more rain & wind the westcoast off Scotland Ayrshire

Reactions: SootySport and 45bvtc