Audi A3 sport Google map issue

matt booth

Reaction score
Hopefully im posting in the correct forum. I have an Audi A3 sport 2014. I do not have Sat Nav installed. However, i try to use google maps on my phone and the car seems to be blocking maps from working. Why is this?

Originally I thought that it was google maps acting up. But whenever im in another car it works perfect. Only when I get into my own car it stops working.

Does anyone else have this issue and is there a way to solve this problem?

I use them a lot for the maps, and have no problems even daughters maps can work from the rear seats too :/

Not got heated front screen have you?

I use them a lot for the maps, and have no problems even daughters maps can work from the rear seats too :/

Not got heated front screen have you?
Im not sure is front screen is heated. Only recently bought the car. However i use google maps a lot and its fustrating that I cant use it in this car.

Do you guys have your windows tinted? The latest generation of window tint is made of carbon/ceramic and doesn't affect mobile reception while the oldest generation of window tint film is matalized and can interfere with cell phone and GPS transmission. More here. Can that be a culprit?

Reactions: LEE69
Do you guys have your windows tinted? The latest generation of window tint is made of carbon/ceramic and doesn't affect mobile reception while the oldest generation of window tint film is matalized and can interfere with cell phone and GPS transmission. More here. Can that be a culprit?
My car isnt tinted. All windows are stock

I can't think of anything other than a heated screen to stop the gps

i will be watching this thread with interest as i have never heard off a car not allowing your phones GPS to work .

Hopefully im posting in the correct forum. I have an Audi A3 sport 2014. I do not have Sat Nav installed. However, i try to use google maps on my phone and the car seems to be blocking maps from working. Why is this?

Originally I thought that it was google maps acting up. But whenever im in another car it works perfect. Only when I get into my own car it stops working.

Does anyone else have this issue and is there a way to solve this problem?

2014 is 8V, not 8P.

Does it matter that its in the wrong forum? My friends have tried their GPS in the car to see if it was the phone. Theres becomes blocked also.

When on google maps it will pick up location. However, when moving the GPS will just stop working. It works perfect in any other car. The windowscreen is not a heated one. So I am unsure of what the problem is. I have gone through all the settings on the MMI. Something in the car must be blocking the signal.

I didn't mean the heated windshield. I meant solar protection. Below is a quote by Jaguar from my link above. I know it's not Audi, but if Audi uses the same technology to protect you from UV, this can be an option to check out.

The quote:

SOLAR ATTENUATING GLASS
The solar attenuating glass windshield filters sunlight passing through a special laminated layer.

Electronic actuating cards, such as toll road payment cards or Radio Frequency (RF) ID tags, can be fixed at the dedicated locations, on the inside of the windshield. If these cards are located at any other part of a solar attenuating windshield, the electronic scanners may not recognize them.

Me personally would be straight back to the Audi dealership if you bought there and explain you predicament explaining what u have done here amd get them to look into it for you cause as you can see none off the lads seem to have an idea why . having the same problem isn't solving it for you .

Does it matter that its in the wrong forum?

Well yes actually because if its a problem with 8V models you are more likely to find an answer with other 8V owners. We are not being unfriendly :)

Reactions: ch1z64 and dp_motley
I phoned Audi today they said they have never heard of the problem in any of their vehicles and to take it to my nearest Audi garage. I will be phoning them tomorrow to find out. I have read online that the car may be fitted with a GPS tracker blocking the connection to the car.

Update on the GPS.... Phoned Audi and they want £120 just to find the fault. That doesnt include repairing the issue. After checking forums further. I am coming to the conclusion that the GPS Antenna might be at fault. Am I correct in saying this is attached to the shark fin aerial on top of the car? Would this be an easy thing to replace or even install an aftermarket GPS antenna. I refuse to pay Audi's expensive service fees to get the problem resolved.

i have a gps antenna aftermarket in mine but i have never tried to use google maps in mine as i have an rns-e with satnav . but could try and see if the car allows me to use google maps if thats any help that way u would know if the aftermarket gps blocks google maps

I would find someone techs first of all who understands phones and how they work to have a look.

It could be a setting that is stopping them working. Either on the car or phone.

Also just to be clear in case you meant something different you cannot use your phone navigation and the car navigation at the same time.

I would find someone techs first of all who understands phones and how they work to have a look.

It could be a setting that is stopping them working. Either on the car or phone.

Also just to be clear in case you meant something different you cannot use your phone navigation and the car navigation at the same time.
The OP said he doesn't have sat nav on his car. But even if he did, why would it not work and the phone work separately? They have no connection with each other - do they?

The OP said he doesn't have sat nav on his car. But even if he did, why would it not work and the phone work separately? They have no connection with each other - do they?

You cannot run Google maps or apple maps on CarPlay or android auto in navigation mode at the same time as the Audi navigation system.

Don't ask me why. It's not my choice. If I'm using navigation through my phone on google maps then I cannot display a map on the virtual cockpit at all. It simply won't show.

I can open the map on the MMI but it won't allow me to run navigation while the phone is working.

I find that frustrating as I would love to be able to use google maps on my phone and have the VC map open to see what's around me but I can't.

I find the OPs situation to be in my opinion down to a phone setting. I'm not aware of any reason the car would totally block GPS but magically allow phone calls and internet access. What that setting is of that I have no idea. It may be related to something the Bluetooth does when it is paired with the phone. It could be a battery saving issue.

This is why I said find someone techy (which my phone changed so maybe it wasn't understood). And by that I mean someone who understands phones. I'd maybe suggest finding a carphone warehouse on a retail park so the geek squad guy can come check it out. (Sales staff are generally clueless.).

OK, maybe I'm not understanding this. He didn't say anything about using MMI, carplay or anything. Just his phone. He mentioned taking his phone into another car and it works. So I assumed he was using the phone completely standalone (using the phone's sim). If so it must be some physical effect of the car itself I would think?

OK, maybe I'm not understanding this. He didn't say anything about using MMI, carplay or anything. Just his phone. He mentioned taking his phone into another car and it works. So I assumed he was using the phone completely standalone (using the phone's sim). If so it must be some physical effect of the car itself I would think?

I think that it’s not clear what he means. As I said if the phone works GPS will work. So unless he has no phone signal (In which case it’s the car) then it’s down to a phone setting.

Nothing wrong with my phone. The phones gps works in every car except my own (AUDI A3). I have been reading many forums and now have reason to believe that its the GPS antenna in the car that is at fault and will need replacing. However, Audi want an absurd amount of money to look at the problem which i do not think is reasonable.

Is the phone connected to anything in the car (MMI, Carplay)?

or are you saying that you have Google Maps running directly on your phone, and when you get in the car it stops working? If the latter, then how's that related to the cars GPS antenna? (sorry if I have misunderstood and that's a stupid question).

You don't have a dashcam with wifi do you?
My Blackvue connects via wifi to my phone, this stops any other data connection with the phone and t'internet won't work.

My car doesnt have a wifi connection. Ive turned off the bluetooth aswel, ive even had all the windows down in the car.

I have been through every setting in the car and have found nothing.

My phone nor anyone elses nor any device Garmin TomTom etc work inside the car.

In any other car all the devices work perfectly. Its my Audi a3 itself. It cuts off all signals for GPS. I have no idea why.

On another forum people have complained about audi Q3 cars blocking the signal to their gps devices and have said that this was due to a faulty GPS antenna. Apparently the Antenna boosts the signal inside the car enabling other gps devices to work.

I dont know the answer myself. But thats why i posted on this forum. For some help. I dont want to pay extortionate fees

yeah if you dont mind mate. I was looking at GPS antennas on ebay and they are cheap enough. Its just then getting it fitted. But if it fixes teh problem then I would be happy to pay. The car is only 3 years old. I dont get why I would get this problem

your car wouldn't happen to be called Christine by any chance . now here is 1 simple way to find out and the people here will be more than happy to help.Take the car back to Audi ask them to put you in the same make model if they have and ask them to do what you do and see if your phone gps is blockef if so youve won a coconut if not then take the sales rep to your car do exactly what you did in the dealerships car and if it doesn't work again youve won a coconut as now Audi know you have a problem with the car and if still in warranty i gather would fix

Good idea. Get it to a dealer and try it out in another car - and get them to try out their's in your car.

Been to Audi GPS not a problem in another vehicle. Again showed sales adviser in my car GPS devices wouldnt work. They reiterated what Audi customer care had said previously and that I would have to book it in for a fee of £120 to try and find the fault. I am literally pulling my hair out about this. No matter how much I search the internet I cannot seem to find anything. I dont want to pay anymore money out after just paying what I did for the car.

I think your car may have had the optional wireless charging which adds an enhanced GPS aerial which is integrated in the cars aerial. Matt, check to see if your cars still under warranty. Depending on when it was registered in 2014 it could be in warranty and then the work won't cost you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My car isnt under warranty I checked. How would I know if it had wireless charging. I spoke to someone regarding the issue today. They seem to think that the car might be fitted with a gps tracker. By the previous owner and could therefore be blocking the signal to any gps device inside the car.

This is something i am unsure of. I will check the boot to see if there is a 12v. ive never notices one but its a possibility.

Hey, I know this is a dead thread. But I seem to have a similar issue that Matt has been describing on my Audi A3 2013 8v Sport 1.6 TDI.

On mine it occationally works and stops working. I have no Sat-Nav, So the use of google maps is very essential.

Just curious to know if a solution was found.