Google Maps on MMI

6EGA3

Reaction score
Hi all - new to Audi. Picking up a 64 MY15 A3 Sport Cabriolet shortly. I THINK it has the optional Technology Pack that would have been available in early 2015 as it has the parking sensors and cruise, and built in satnav. However I am a huge fan of Google Maps. I have read that it is possible to use your phone's Google Maps with the inbuilt screen. Is this in fact a possibility? And if so, can I do it via iPhone or does it have to be Android?

How good is the inbuilt satnav as far as traffic, etc and how does one update the SD card?

It will come with Google earth installed. You can't use your phone as this requires CarPlay / Android Auto which is only available on FL models

What's an FL model?
And when you say Google Earth is installed, does that mean it's possible to use Google maps on the MMI?
Sorry, very new to Audi and haven't collected the car yet.

Last edited:
It will only have Google earth if you also have connect, that was an option over and above the technology package. It is just an overlay on the oem maps though but you will also get online traffic.
The FL ( face lift) model that came out in 2016 has a different MMI that supports carplay and android auto

OK, thanks. Looks like I may keep using the phone then, not sure if it has Connect however I doubt that the SD card is up to date and I don't feel like paying out for an updated one.
Downloaded an owner's manual so hopefully will have most other q's sorted before I collect it.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a thread on here mentioning that the google maps interface may soon become defunct on all by the very latest version of the A3 platform. Something to do with google requirements needing something that the older models of A3 don’t have?

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a thread on here mentioning that the google maps interface may soon become defunct on all by the very latest version of the A3 platform. Something to do with google requirements needing something that the older models of A3 don’t have?

That’s in 2020. And it will include all current A3 8v model, PFL and FL.

Also a fan for Google Maps. I've found the built-in SD based Satnav excruciatingly slow to set up destinations and then it often takes bizarre routes. For traffic it uses the old TrafficMaster system, which only works for main roads and I've not found very reliable. I just use my phone and this for mounting it: https://www.audiphoneholder.com/

When I choose to have the built-in Satnav active it's just to show where we are overall along a route we may not be taking (!), for passengers to satisfy their "Are we there yet?" questions ;-)

I use Android and Android Auto (on the phone) and have automated the phone's screen to go blank and only wake up near turns or when I touch or get near its screen.

Last edited:
Also a fan for Google Maps. I've found the built-in SD based Satnav excruciatingly slow to set up destinations and then it often takes bizarre routes. For traffic it uses the old TrafficMaster system, which only works for main roads and I've not found very reliable. I just use my phone and this for mounting it: https://www.audiphoneholder.com/

When I choose to have the built-in Satnav active it's just to show where we are overall along a route we may not be taking (!), for passengers to satisfy their "Are we there yet?" questions ;-)

I use Android and Android Auto (on the phone) and have automated the phone's screen to go blank and only wake up near turns or when I touch or get near its screen.

Yes, I absolutely love Google Maps (and Waze is good too, given that Google owns it). I rely heavily on the traffic being correct and up to date so as much as I hate the idea of having a sat nav and NOT using it, I think I'll stick to what I already do. I have it on iPhone (hate Apple maps) and mine also switches the screen on when approaching a command. Plus I also have up to date speed cams on another app that overlays Google Maps.

I think I'll be sticking with the old then! At least the MMI can be used for the radio....