A3 2l tfsi dumped all coolant

Techen

Reaction score
So i came back last night after trashing the car. I like it, super fun but as i parked up i saw tons of steam from the engine bay. Opened it and there was coolant all over pipes and the rad, the.coolant bottle was empty and when i cut my engine the fan went mad for ages. Not even sure where the coolant is coming from quite hard to see but i dont think it caused any overheating damage. It was still on 90c when i cut the engine.

Any ideas? :(

Oh dear, that's not good. When it's cooled and dried out take of the top engine cover and undertray and look for the burst hose or holes in the cooling system. Not much else to suggest but you should find where the coolant is coming from.

Reactions: S3Alex
Awh, It's not common issue then? Great , I can see the pound signs now :D

It is a pretty common issue.
You thrash the car something lets go, it costs money to fix.
There is no more common an issue than that.

:yes:

Most probably a one time use hose clip rotted or let go, look for a loose hose and have some jubilee clips handy to refit.
Fill up with G12+ pink coolant, dont put cap on yet, wait till engine is up to temp while adding to top up to recommended level while the air bubbles find there way out of the system, once you stop bubbling refit cap.

As above,hoses rot,and clips let go.

Of course,the time they're most likely to do so is when stressed,such as in heavy traffic,or after a hard run,but it happens.

Replace burst hoses with something from these guys,or similar....

http://www.sfsperformance.co.uk/index.asp
Mine has an SFS silicone hose kit that was fitted a few years ago,and still looks as good as new.

Found the pipe and the part number, Not sure how easy it is to get it out but I think theres a plastic casing at the back and I've heard they can crack open so yea.

20160417_124257.jpg

20160417_124424.jpg

Reactions: Jake 61 and S3Alex
Am guessing its the lower rad hose to thermostat housing though I can't be 100% sure.

It's big enough to be the bottom hose. Hope you haven't ****** and seized the engine. Does it spin over on the starter?

It's big enough to be the bottom hose. Hope you haven't ****** and seized the engine. Does it spin over on the starter?

Starts fine everytime. Nothing wrong with it. Bought 120 quid volvo as a temp car till i fix it. Atleast the volvos radio works :p

So turned out the pressure just pushed the hose off, Whenever my garage fitted the thermostat I guess they didn't put it on all the way so there ya go.