Thinking of going “stage 2” - anyone disappointed with theirs?

vanilla_ice

Reaction score
Hello there,

I`ve had a jabbasport generic stage 1 remap on my AMK S3 since 2008.

I've slowly been getting parts together (new fuel pump,3“tip, jetex & heatshield and wellycooler with 2.5” inlet/outlet) with the view of getting them fitted then going for a health check / custom stage 1 remap in the not too distant future.

I`m now thinking do I add a 3“ downpipe and go stage 2.

What's putting me off is the cost of fitting,cost of 4 wheel alignment afterwards, added noise(?) and potential hassle come MOT time.

Is the downpipe really worth all the extra grief? Would the downpipe alone transform how the car drives with the other mods I will have?

Your experiences would be welcome!

The down pipe is a really worth while mod transformed mine when done if you are that worried about mot get a 200 cell sports cat more money but less hassle for emissions mine is stage 1 at the minute that was mapped with downpipe 200 cell cat 3" turbo back and a 3" tip with jetex filter

Reactions: Essexman
I loved stage 2. Was such a mad mad car then! Big turbo is better of course but I still loved the feel of being stage 2.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Is it ~£500 better than “stage 1.5” on a non-rodded engine? Hmmmm.

I`d plan to stick with the standard cat-back exhaust too.

Get a custom map... generic stage 2 may not suit your hardware and engine wear

<tuffty/>

It will be a custom remap, but gather the 3" downpipe will put me in to what used to be considered Stage 2.

I'm trying to decide whether that level of tune is worth the ~£500 over what I would have without fitting a downpipe.

Mate what is the current spec of your car?

Hi,

AMK S3 with 84k miles
Jabbasport stage 1 remap
3“ TIP
Jetex cone with heat shield
N249 delete
Forge 007 revised piston
Wellycooler 63mm version (soon to be fitted prior to custom remap)
Standard rods, clutch and exhaust

Thanks

So willy you be going for a turbo back exhaust?
And keeping oem manifold yeh?

Not sure i would bother tbh. Its going to cost you a fair amount for the gains.
Seeing tlyou have all the other bits fitted already.

Stage 2 tunes won't magic up more top end power as a rule... they tend to lift the mid range more... more area under the curve etc...

The mods are there to keep the engine running cooler so it will tolerate more ignition timing and boost... std K04's are pretty much out of puff from 5.5k anyway...

<tuffty/>

Thanks all. I don't think I will bother with the dp.

I'll speak to the tuner regarding the cost of potential map tweaks down the line,but probably not needed.... he says :)

The best bang for buck is the stage 1 map which you have had.
Big turbo is the next big jump in performance tbh

OE Downpipe is restrictive... 3" improves spool/response and lowers overall EGT's... this is a good thing to have irrespective of stage of tune

<tuffty/>

Reactions: derek84
In my personal experience adding the 3" DP and sport cat was absolutely worth doing.
I used to have a Revo stage 1 map until earlier this year I took it to Badger5 for Bills custom stage2 map and the difference was incredible over the Revo and worth every penny

Steve

In my personal experience adding the 3" DP and sport cat was absolutely worth doing.
I used to have a Revo stage 1 map until earlier this year I took it to Badger5 for Bills custom stage2 map and the difference was incredible over the Revo and worth every penny

Steve

That`s not what my wallet needed to hear!! :D

What exhaust manifold and cat back exhaust?

That`s not what my wallet needed to hear!! :D

What exhaust manifold and cat back exhaust?
Well I've still got standard cat back on ATM and had standard manifold aswell until now, however I decided to upgrade a few things so mines back at Bills for his magic touch

Steve