Audi S3 not living up to my expectations

I am very much of the belief that a FWD with good differential/suspension/steering/seats set up is a far better prospect for a drivers car than any Haldex effort. Maybe not as fast on long straights, but throw a couple of corners at it the FWD car will catch up.
Even when they are down on power.

The best car for driving that's available in this sector will be the RS Megane.

I have seen many people say the same as the OP regarding the S3.

However I've just watched this review:

I generally trust what Matt Farah says, albeit he is reviewing a 2015 American spec S3 saloon

Reactions: Simon L and Dandanfings
Although it's only a diesel S Line I'm driving. I actually cancelled my order of a mk7 GTD which was fully loaded to get the Audi. Can honestly say I don't regret my decision. The A3's refinement is so much better than VW. Only owned it since Thursday but I've fallen in love with it already.

Personally I think what makes the s3 great, is its potential. In standard form its not that exciting but put in some proper suspension, upgrade the ARBS, install anti-lift kit, remap, and then you have the haldex to help you transmit it all to the road. Really annoys me people complaining about how boring a car it is, thats what modifications are for!

Reactions: Forbzeeee
I like my S3. Would I swap it for anything else, no. There are better cars the Clio Sport is a great car but for personal reasons I dont want one, nor a Cayman or Golf R for other reasons.

Which car I buy that suits me and my needs and lifestyle is fairly complicated and I comprehensivley review and test drive those that I might buy.
I've found that some do things better than others, but hey there's not a perfect car it's all about compromises. Currently the S3 is my pick and for me I didnt make a mistake in buying it.

Reactions: Nikon, sunscreemer, Simon L and 3 others
I like my S3. Would I swap it for anything else, no. There are better cars the Clio Sport is a great car but for personal reasons I dont want one, nor a Cayman or Golf R for other reasons.

Which car I buy that suits me and my needs and lifestyle is fairly complicated and I comprehensivley review and test drive those that I might buy.
I've found that some do things better than others, but hey there's not a perfect car it's all about compromises. Currently the S3 is my pick and for me I didnt make a mistake in buying it.

I absolutely agree with Steeve. I bought my S3 as the best compromise, consistent with my family profile and most importantly what I want in a car. It's not perfect but its what it is and I'm delighted with it, warts an' all.
As one of the tiny percentage of wrinklies on the site, I like to be relaxed when I drive and so I rarely approach the limits of power, traction etc that the S3 has to offer, happy in the knowledge that the car can handle it all. However, if I want to have a mad moment, I can do.
At the same time I want to sit in comfort and feel quality around me. I was interested in the comment that the S3 was a "small Bentley" or similar.
I have neither the need nor the wish to chip the car to make it go faster, pay for a different exhaust system to make it louder, or change the wheels/grille or whatever to make it look more striking than I think it already is.
All very boring I know, but some of us are...

Reactions: Daveotto, Nikon, Psyman79 and 2 others
I feel the steering feedback isn't very good as well. My mk5 r32 was the same but felt about 20% better when I poly bushed the wishbones, this is probably what I will do to mine in the future.
As for the power delivery its too linear in my opinion, its not meant to be a hatch hatch exactly but its aimed at an enthusiastic driver so I think they could of added a bit more of a sense of speed, the remap i will be getting will solve this though.
The S3 is a typical recent Audi S product, fast and well built with no drama. I think anyone would struggle to find the perfect car they wanted out of the box unless in super car territory and even though i am sure people would have niggles. I modify cars because I want something personal to me and I want something I can be happy with and I have had 3 S3's and modified them all as I feel they need to be for them to be great cars

My views are well lamented, my S3 has been something of a disappointment. However, I had an A6 last week as my car was in for its 1st service. When I got back into my S3 that day, suddenly I was liking it. I guess familiarity breeds a sense of apathy? Plenty of people keep telling me they love my car. I guess you always want what you don't have? With hindsight, would I buy an S3 again if there was nothing else that appealed? Yes, but I'd go a different way with some of the options and would probably get the sportback over the three door hatch.

Having said that, I just drove the new TTS this very morning... got to say, it's better than my S3 in so many ways. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but certainly was mine. I just felt so much more engaged with it; it felt sharper, quicker and made more noise than my car. The driving position was perfect for me and I actually started to like the dash. Looks wise, I think it needs a black styling pack, but that's coming soon I gather. Otherwise, to my eyes it looked fantastic and turning to look at my car, it makes it look a bit dull in comparison. Will I buy one? Probably, but I need to drive an RS3 before I decide which way to go. I suspect it'll be the TTS sitting on my drive by the end of the year though.

The only thing that went against the TT for me was the lack of decent rear seats. Ironically, I've had my S3 since November and only used the rear seats once and for 1/2 an hour. I'd be tempted to get another TT in the future as I didn't like the shape of the Mk3 at first but it's starting to grow on me, love the interior though.

I drive mine frequently 800 miles to France and it's the least tiring car I have ever driven (coming from an e60 m5). Love the interior and the ride and steering are a bit compromised but at least not 19 mpg!!

Wow I was feeling like a poor relation on this forum until I read V8's comment about the A3 8V 1.4 having better steering and road handling (on its dynamic default settings) than the S3 - because that (the 1.4SB) is what I have. And to my mind it really does meet that criterion..

However, I also think that if I had bought an S3, I also would have anticipated that steering and handling etc would have been improved and more commensurate with its "sport" label. Obviously interior trim etc is superior in the S3 and this is part of the premium you pay, however the more basic (in 1.4) and slightly upgraded Interior trims In (1.8) are in no way shabby or down market compared to other comparable brands.

Style wise, how could you prefer the external aesthetics of the Golf over the A3/S3 SB - no contest really as I am sure many of the forum will agree.

And another main test surely is how much you look forward to driving your A3/S3, or even looking for opportunities to drive it, again as I sure many of the forum members still do, as I do, even after a year of ownership.

Wow I was feeling like a poor relation on this forum until I read V8's comment about the A3 8V 1.4 having better steering and road handling (on its dynamic default settings) than the S3 - because that (the 1.4SB) is what I have. And to my mind it really does meet that criterion..

However, I also think that if I had bought an S3, I also would have anticipated that steering and handling etc would have been improved and more commensurate with its "sport" label. Obviously interior trim etc is superior in the S3 and this is part of the premium you pay, however the more basic (in 1.4) and slightly upgraded Interior trims In (1.8) are in no way shabby or down market compared to other comparable brands

Don't feel like the poor relation, here's someone else who spent time in both cars, and also finds the steering in the 1.4 better than the S3:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/sick-s3.241623/#post-2427473

As for the interior trim being better in the S3 - the interior is identical in a 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 2.0, S3 etc.
After all, the S3 is just an A3 with go faster bodykit, engine, and dubious suspension ;)

I bought my S3 for the engine, 4wd (haldex), interior, the go faster bodykit and the four rings on the front - so I'm a happy owner. It has everything I need, especially as I clock up around 20k miles per year!! It's my 3rd S3 and I will mod it eventually at which point it will surpass my expectations... by far.

It's not your expectations its your perception of the car. The premium experience comes with all the mod cons in the Performance Pack. If you didn't get that you have a std A3 with an S3 engine. If you view what you have got from that angle your POV will change....

I
The only thing that went against the TT for me was the lack of decent rear seats. Ironically, I've had my S3 since November and only used the rear seats once and for 1/2 an hour. I'd be tempted to get another TT in the future as I didn't like the shape of the Mk3 at first but it's starting to grow on me, love the interior though.

If you fold the rear seats on the TT, it actually has almost as much floor space as an S3 hatch, if not more. You obviously don't get as much volume, but I used to get away with putting all my fishing gear into a TT, which used to amaze some people. It's actually very practical if (if !) you don't need to carry any rear seat passengers. If the new TTS had been around when I was buying my S3, I would not have bought the S3. I'm a year into owning mine and won't be too upset when we part company later this year. Going for the TTS I think, as the RS3 is just going to have the same issues as my S3, i.e. uncomfortable seats, poor steering wheel adjustment and the overall blandness of the driving experience. I'll still take one for a spin and see if my mind gets changed, but I think it'll be back to a TTS for me. I like to sit low in the car, with the steering wheel close to me and in the S3 I just can't do that. I do wonder why Audi designed the A3 that way. No other Audi I have driven has such a quirky set up.

Last edited:
I bought a new Full Suspension MTB from Glasgow and chucked it (still boxed) in the back of the TT and drove back to Aberdeen no problems. The guy in the bike shop said 'you'll never get than in the back of that car', I said 'just watch me'. The only issue for me with the TT was rear passenger space but since getting the S3 I've realised I actually hardly ever need to carry passengers so it's not really such big issue.
I won't be changing cars early but I'd possibly be tempted by the TT again.
What I'd really like is a mini R8, an R4 would be a big seller, can't see it happening though.

Last edited: