Living with an Audi 8V S3....

Dan Green

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As a prospective buyer I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about S3 ownership.

Things like what things bug you about your car? What issues have you had? MPG? Dealer network experiences? What do you love about your car? People's views on your car? Etc etc and anything else related.

Thanks a lot in advance...

I'm sure there's lots of comments about ownership etc on the site, have a search?

However, my two penneth is.............
I like mine very much, its does 8 pints to the gallon, what I'm really trying to say is I didnt buy a high performance petrol car because I'm at all interested in economy. Others may be.
I've had one small issue with paint which resulted in a new rear bumper, so my experience would be dont buy a Sepang car as it seems to be almost impossible to match the paint colour.
The cars handling at very hight speed on less than flat roads is flawed, but to be honest you have to be driving too fast for public roads. The Golf is more settled, but depends what you were looking for. Would I buy another? Absolutely, Would I buy the Golf given the chance? Absolutely not.
It's what I expected, no more no less.

Loving mine !!

As Steeve says loads on here about good and bad handling traits. Found I had to option it up a bit to get the spec I wanted so don't expect to buy new for 32k

You need to ask yourself why you are considering an S3. What are you changing from? For me, it's the best car I've ever owned. I absolutely love it. Compared to some cars, it is flawed, but it all depends where you set benchmark. If you've never had a 300bhp car before, the power and torque will take you by surprise. What is great about it is the fact that it can be used perfectly normally. However, start playing and it can be insane. I can't think of a better car for the money. However, if I was 20 years younger and liked wearing baseball caps back to front, the Golf R would be better. Depends what market you are in.

Reactions: SmileyS3 and Simon L
It's my second 8V S3... and does exactly what I want it to; ie. Get me where I want to go with a smile. I love the pickup and continued acceleration when I want it and also like the fact I can pootle around town with my 3 yr old saying "Faster" when in fact it's impressive at low speeds. How it does 20mph in 4th is crazy - and it's quiet and subtle.
On the flip side, my mates have Subarus and Evos and it leaves them standing on the straights and holds it own thru the twisty bits.
I LOVE the fact launch control turns it into a crazy b1tch that leaves an awful lot of cars for dust and their drivers wondering what the hell has just happened.
I'm happy with the 28-35 mpg it returns and I don't care about using shell nitro+ either... it's all worth it at the end of the week when I can blat it down the motorway.
The S3 is quite rare down here, (Kent) so it still has that special feel about it. Golf R's are a lot more common.
Will I order a third... probably - unless the wife can get me a special deal on an RS3 / 4 model. I got a very good deal on mine, and think I'd struggle to find this happiness in any other car for sub £30k (new)
I love my Sepang colour, but would love Merlin purple too

:salute:

Reactions: SmileyS3, Ben Daniel Grant and Daveotto
Well I'm 28 and cars are my hobby, my interest and they are what pay my bills.

I have an S2000 which I absolutely love but I feel like I'm growing out of it and yurn for a blend of comfortable, power and premium quality. I am also getting married next month and she hates the S2000 and we are entering a part of our lives where we need more practicality. It's an S3 saloon that interests me :) in riviera blue with a few toys.

Average around 32 mainly on town trips and going to work and back.

Smile on every single journey at some point :)

I love that it even looks good in the dark :)

A0f45973240f

Reactions: jaypers777
The S3 is not the most driver focussed car I've driven, so make sure you really have one over an extended test drive to see if it's the car for you.

The steering lacks feel and feedback, has not got the sharpest turn in characteristics, and the suspension is not suited to lumpy undulating B roads. Lateral grip, especially in the damp or wet is interesting.

On the plus side the straight line acceleration from 0-62 with launch control is very good, and it's a nice place to be in on the Motorway.

As steeve said above, the Golf R is set up differently and rewards good driving accordingly.

Really ?

I found the MKVII R uncommunicative, plough through corners and twitchy. I own a MKVI R and really love the car. I find the S3 a step up as a drivers car. Maybe our cars here in Aussie are set up differently.

The advice about an extended test is the best advice you should adhere to. I had a test car for a whole day and took it on every type of road I could find. TBH I was sold on one within the first hour or so but it was best to be sure. :racer:

Reactions: WarwickL
Last edited:
The advice about an extended test is the best advice you should adhere to. I had a test car for a whole day and took it on every type of road I could find. TBH I was sold on one within the first hour or so but it was best to be sure. :racer:

Yes, extended test drive is a must, as is testing alternatives, if you aren't set on buying the 4 rings.

Here's the story of someone who bought a S3 on the first test drive:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/test-drove-s3-yesterday-sold.233742/

And then actually tested the S3 and Golf R back to back, and instantly bought the Golf R instead (the suspension differences was a factor)!
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-or-golf-r-or-even-an-s1.219948/page-13#post-2340123

Interestingly I drove both back to back over a weekend and found the S3 a much more involved drive and exciting than the R. Agree, test drive both. Don't make a decision based on reviews.

Interestingly I drove both back to back over a weekend and found the S3 a much more involved drive and exciting than the R. Agree, test drive both. Don't make a decision based on reviews.
Exactly. As the old adage goes, one man's meat is another's poison. Depends what you want from a car, expectations, where your benchmark is etc. I'm sure there is a Ferrari forum somewhere comparing Lamborghini's Vs Ferrari etc and people saying that one is not as involving as the other etc. It is all relative.

Reactions: WarwickL
If you decide on a S3 take time to spec the car the way you want it,it's not as easy as you think,just so you don't have any regrets,as some owners have had