3.0 V6 Coolant Change

benberry

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My coolant is probably about 80% water and I'm worried it will freeze when it gets cold.

Is there a way to drain it myself so I can top it up with proper coolant?

I have a B6 Avant, 3.0 V6.

Thanks, Ben

I would test it first with one of the simple kits you can buy and unless it is very weak you can boost it by syphoning out the contents of the res and filling with G13.This will quickly mix and if you want you can do the same again.Saves and draining and risking airlocks

So you reckon syphoning out via the coolant tank is the best way?

Thanks, Ben

Anti freeze is heavier than water, so if you just need a top-up you can poor it in slowly & it will push the water out

Check the coolant content first. Not sure how often audi recommend coolant replacement but its its too weak it can not only freeze but it can start to corrode the insides of the engine. Personally if its too weak I would remove a lower rad hose and drain it into a suitable container and refill with fresh coolant/anti-freeze

Yes there is on the passenger side.

It's only circa £12 a bottle from Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat so you may as well just replace all of it.

Its an easy job, either find the drain plug at the bottom of the rad - or remove a lower coolant hose.
There is usually a drain in the engine block too - not sure where this is located though.

Its worth doing - coolant is often overlooked but pays dividens to change as coolant looses its properties over time. (boiling point lowers, corrosion inhibitors degrade.etc) - I usually swap my coolant every two years / 40,000 miles.

Reactions: Turkster
Thanks guys.

I'll see if I can find the drain under the rad and do a full change.

If not I'll see if I can do it via top up tank...

Ben

As mentioned above coolant does 2 main jobs in the engine,
1. it stops the water from freezing which is only something that it needs to do for a few months in the year.
2. It stops corrosion in the engine, which it needs to do all year round.
I am really amazed at the amount of people who may have a small leak and will quite happily keep topping up the coolant system with water. Eventually the coolant is so dilute corrosion will set in and the engine will rot from the inside out. Heater matrix, radiator matrix, oil coolers, and cylinder head gaskets will all start dissolving.
The coolant is as important as the oil for a healthy reliable engine.
A 50/50 mix is the way to go. If you have to top up the coolant on a car mix up asome 50/50 water coolant and use that. The correct mix is then maintained in the engine.

Karl.