What order to mod?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
I know i hint at this alot but... S3 is staying for a year atleast so...
Let the cocking about begin again
I have...
Rebuilt AMK/BAM engine with uprated rods,
Hybrid TD stage 3 turbo,
Pipeworx downpipe and decat miltek system,
Forge hoses where possible and DV
FMIC
Haldex blue controler

Possibly missed a couple of things but... major short falls to be on the same page as many are, No B5 tip, Stock injectors ( all be it running 4 bar) stock manifold, No WMI and an old Stage 3 CC map,

Nowthe question is in what order to add the mods? ive been offered an aquamist kit for £100 and i plan to improve the FMIC kit i have.
Injectors i know are a must to push on... but i cant find many places that do them at sensible money
B5 is easy fix'd is a manifold worth the trouble? i cant be doing with one cracking on me to be honest.

So... injectors? then tip and map?
Or is the WMI kit a good buy?

V3 mani, and get it reinforced with welding if it makes you feel better, but the v3s haven't cracked yet (thicker tubing).
I'd personally go the whole hog, tip and mani, then have injectors ready to swap over on mapping day. Then add wmi later if you wish, or on mapping day to have it accomodated.
I think doing the whole lots will obv make a bigger difference, which will make you a lot happier than doing it in dribs n drabs

The reason i mentioned the cracking was my car is a daily. The only other car i have other than family bus is my mk2 golf, With webbers and a striped out interia... Not what i wanna get stuck using in this weather if something breaks

have you seen pics of the v3? theres a thread up now with some
its impressive compared to the previous carnations.
plus, it all depends on how far you push the hardware, which being a daily wont be very far

I'm in a similar position Paul, mine is used as a daily and I'm trying to decide just how far to take it.

in your case paul, I'd say it's a tough one.

Without injectors, and further mods are pointless, as they'll tip it over the edge so to speak.

Injectors require a new map obviously.

But if you're getting a new map, it'd be a shame not to fit a TIP, and a manifold, to unleash it's true potential.

Welly was stuck at 300bhp on the stock manifold, and the relentless opened it up hugely.

Personally, even if you're not prepared to fit WMI, I'd still fit the relentless manifold and B5 TIP, then download uni settings and back the load off by 10-15% just to make sure you don't exceed your current injectors. that'll keep you running and driving nicely, at what should be around 300bhp still. that'll give you time to decide if you want to fit WMI or not in future, and then decide on somewhere to have it mapped, at which point you can fit 550's and the fun can really start :)

definitely works on me7 too Dave, Until near the end, Welly was running bumble on the ko4 hybrid map still, written for 550's, with 630's in there scaled in uni settings!

Im guessing its down to can/ will CC resort my map to work to its best with all the extra mods or if i need a full on job.
Which im guessing is ££££

Paul, I'm loosing count on how many threads you've started regarding mods and injectors! Here's just a few:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...need-get-little-more-my-set-up-vag-v-jap.html
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/164434-vaux-vxr-injectors-550-a.html
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...d-aqua-mist-wmi-kit-worth-go.html#post1722968
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/173721-few-issues-what-do-these-point.html
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/173988-what-injector-path-take.html

I think you've got enough pointers in those threads mate :whistle2:

I paid under £200 for a set of 550 injectors. A custom map was £480. These are your main things to get done as you will need the map for the injectors. Once you have the map, most mapping places will charge you very little to come back and have the map tweaked once you've fitted the TIP, manifold, and WMI.

This gives you a clear goal to save your money towards then you can recover financially, get the other parts then head back for a map tweak. Failing that you need to save for all the work to be done in 1 big hit.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: StaceyS3
Westy.
Sorry if it bothers you...
But i unlike yourself dont have the tuning massive on here on speed dial/ facebook whatever you use...
So when i have a question or an idea i need cementing... i post it,
I dont have £xxxx to spend at the moment. So i wondered if buying the wmi and saving it ( at the price i was offered ) made sence. obviously it would delay the injectors and subsequent mapping.
"custom map"... i was lead to believe at the time my car was mapped that a CC phase 3 was a custom map?
I have no idea how big a job it is to "adjust " a map to work with the 550's.
I was told they would charge an hourly labour rate to do it. how long as a guide would that take?
would it further complicate matters if i threw the TIP on prior to map tweaks? I can trailor the car to the garage after fitting the injectors and any other mods. Is an uprated fuel pump needed? I know i would be running 3 bar fpr again?

With regards to mapping Paul, I don't mean to be ride here, but I don't think yor current tuner is capable of mapping the car to take advantage of the changes you plan.

I think the only realistic option is to visit one of the two tuners regularly mentioned on here that get the best results from the hybrids time and time again.
That's not intending to cause trouble, but it appears that many of the big names will tune a setup, decide they've cracked it, then. It take things any further, Where the smaller firms are constantly developing hinge for the older cars, as that's where there main customer base lie

Totally agree with prawn. Not that I have direct experience of any of this so my thoughts aren't very valuable lol. But, when you mention fuel pumps etc, without being a bit ott with the modding and preparing for the worst, the only way to detirmin that is to go a head and get mapped with the said mods, and see where you stand on the day, which is what a lot of people have to deal with.
Just get things bought and accumulated overtime. Then one day you can hand your car over to someone and be completely blown away by the changes and wonder why you ever hesitated and posted 14673 threads

Westy.
Sorry if it bothers you...
But i unlike yourself dont have the tuning massive on here on speed dial/ facebook whatever you use...
So when i have a question or an idea i need cementing... i post it,

I have no idea what you mean Paul, I have the exact same contact points as you. ASN and the Internet. This forum is for posting threads, of course, but my point is that you've already asked the questions in this thread on numerous occaisions, been given advice, and come back to ask them again in another thread!

Very few people have the money to blast out all these mods in 1 go. It's taken me 4 years, 4 remaps, a lot of labour myself, and a lot of trial and error.

As prawn mentioned, you won't know whether the fuel pump is up to the job until the car is mapped to request more fuel on larger injectors. I'd say you'll probably be ok though as your pump is fine running on a 4 bar FPR. The 4 bar usually highlights a weak pump. When you get larger injectors you can revert back to a 3 bar and this will reduce the strain on the pump.

I was told my fuel pump was shot when on Bills rollers after my 3rd remap. It's never plain sailing unfortunately ;)

So... do i fit bigger injectors??
haha,
JOKE
The last time i spoke to JBS about the car they said to buy Bosch or genisis?
One of which needed a wiring adaptor?
I was hoping to get a good price form a mate at euro car parts but Bosch didnt seem bothered to reply to him.
Where is best/ cheapest to buy from?
The VXR idea got sacked off although they ( JBS ) said it was possible but would mean still running 4 bar .
I know Bill sells them, But i just wanted to weigh up if importing was an option as i dont need them ASAP.

You can import the Bosch ones for quite cheap, along with the adapters for the plugs.

Sure I read a thread on here with links to the US site.

From what I've read the VXR ones don't perform as claimed.

Go for Bosch Paul. There are lots of existing maps and data for bosch and they have a good spray pattern compared to other makes. When you order Bosch 550s you can order the adapters on the side, they are just a little plug type connector so that they will fit your existing loom.

Take a look here:

Bosch 52LB / 550cc Hi Impedance Injector
EV1 to EV6 Injector Adapter Plug

Works out about £175 shipped to UK for injectors and adapters. + whatever import duty you get bummed with.

Import tax shouldn't be too bad on those anyway.

I think s3Dave said his relentless was £35.

Well...
Thats fitting the injectors and asking my current mapper to tweak the current map to suite out of the window,
When i spoke to them a couple of months back they said ok, it would just be a few hours labour. i made contact yesterday and was told. Full map would be needed and i need Genisis injectors plus adaptors. The injectors would be near £500 just suplied.
Looks like i will be collecting parts and saving up...

as I said before mate, they're out of the loop, and don't know what's what what with these setup's any more.

Get the injectors yourself, and get the car to a decent tuner who know how to work with these things, and you'll be amazed at the results.

I met a chap with other day with the EXACT same turbo as mine, and he proudly boasted that it was mapped by another big name tuner and was making 304bhp, I just laughed and said ''is that all?'' then showed him my plot for 353. He thought it was all a joke....

Reactions: Westy
I know , I agree too.
I was only planning to use them to make the car "safe" on the bigger injectors.
Untill i had the other things ready to get the best from the car.

Why not just buy the Bosch ones in the link above then drop the car off at Badger5 or R-Tech? Job done :)

I will , But i dont live anywhere near them so wanted to wait a while until i had all the money and parts to let them work the magic.

Sounds like a plan. Regarding not living near them, tell me about it lol...

What?! Mk to hinkley isn't far! I did it last year for mapping. 45minutes max.

Sheffield is however... quite a way

Now that would be a trip.
I have 2 mates with rolling roads but neither tune Vag cars.
So its either book a long weekend off or leave the car there and come back to collect it.
My only worry is...
In the past ive dropped a car off to be tuned, got home and within about 2 hour had a call saying "you never said X,Y and Z needed sorting " so it became an open ended bill.
If i save enough for the injectors and a map i will be brassic for a few weeks so if when i drop it off it turns into a bigger job it would have to stay there longer.