3.2 v VXR

One final thing, the 3.2 A3 is nice but lets be honest it is still just an A3 and NOT an S3 (note the letter S :rockwoot:)

The old 3.2's a bit heavy on the front as well. It wont do corners very well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Bet my daughters Corsa would see it off on a twisty road........................Anybody can fly in a straight line but put a few curves in it to sort out the drivers....................

I could be wrong ( I normally am), but I read a thread on here a while ago,that despite the weight of the engine, when everything else is factored in, the 3.2 is no heavier than the S3. I think they're both prone to a bit of under steer, but nothing some suspension mods and fat sticky tyres can't sort out.

Lmao, is this thread still going. :)

Lol at the bias opinions on an Audi forum , I'm sure you will find a complete difference of opinion over o. Vxronline , my 3.2 is tuned ( stage 2 decatted etc) and I have played with a mapped S3 and left him and I know my Audi ain't fast , I have played with a stage 2 Astra vxr and he pulled away slightly , off the line the Quattro obviously has the advantage but I know Astra VXR s have good pace

What tuning does a Stage 2 3.2 involve?

And what bhp/torque figures?

cheers
Paul

These road racing threads always make me both smile and shake my head.

That's all.

Well said that man.

I'm often driving around with my pregnant wife and 2-year-old girl, only half-noticing as other cars are screaming past as I let S-Tronic waft us around.

Not everyone is racing when you think they are!

Well said that man.

I'm often driving around with my pregnant wife and 2-year-old girl, only half-noticing as other cars are screaming past as I let S-Tronic waft us around.

Not everyone is racing when you think they are!

Thanks.

There's only one place for racing.

I owned an Astra VXR for nearly 4 years and as a balancing out post on an Audi forum I must point out a few things. While it will never out handle a quattro A3, the power you can get out of them for little outlay and the thrill from the lairy performance can't be matched even by my stage 3 S3. Yes the S3 is a bit quicker and handles a lot better, especially in the damp, but the VXR was a thrill a minute.

Another point I must make is the build quality digs that the VXR seems to attract undeservedly. My S3 has more rattles and has had more niggly problems in 8 months than my VXR had in 4 years. In no way am I suggesting that the VXR was better than my S3 but sometimes I must admit I wish I could have it back for a day or 2 :)

Reactions: hothatch daddy and Paullie
ST's make me chuckle! :) I just imagine them sat there in their horrible interior. I don't like fords at all!

Tell me about it I had 2 ST previously and god its horrible and rattly inside. Just cant imagine how many tic tac boxes have had to be used to build up each of the dashboard. Never again....

Just for the record, before my S3 I owned a Focus ST3 (from new so the RS mk2 was not available) which was mapped to 271bhp with 440NM and I have to say there is not really a lot in it between my stage 1 S3 and the ST.
As for the cheap interior it came with Recaros as standard, dual zone as standard, 6 cd Sony HU as standard as well as a few other bits and bobs. The build quality was just as good as the S3 (if not better in some places) and the only reason that I changed cars was because of the release of the RS mk2 (I had to choose between the RS and the S3).
In terms of if being the budget performance Ford then do not forget that before the RS was released the ST was the flagship performance Ford!
One final thing, the 3.2 A3 is nice but lets be honest it is still just an A3 and NOT an S3 (note the letter S :rockwoot:)

Are you sure your S3 is not an 8L mate?:]

i had a old fiesta zetec S try it on with me at the lights a few nights ago, that made me crack up.
i pulled away as completely normal, but the other guy floored it. after third gear i got anoyed with him thinking he mullerd me, when i wasnt going above 2500rpm. so i floored it and
overtook him for ****s and giggles. he had red cheek's at the next set of lights :)

What tuning does a Stage 2 3.2 involve?

And what bhp/torque figures?

cheers
Paul

dont know on the figures,to me bhp is for pubs...numbers on a strip or times on a track speak more when modifying,dyno runs should be done only to asses things such as fuelling/timing/egt etc..

my car should be sold tomorrow (getting a 350z ) but heres the spec etc click me to have a look

Shame it's going, I was looking forward to see the results of the supercharger.

problem with charging the audi is it seems they like to stick an audi price tag on it,you can charge a honda for less than half and if i were to charge a 350z (which is a possibility) it wont cost anywhere near what tuners want to charge the audi,to be honest though,its rapid enough as it is,i think charging it would make it too much for the chassis,it is too front wheel bias and too short wheelbased in my honest opinion for 380-400 bhp to be used properly (if used on track), i think the guy who (fingers crossed) will take it tomorrow will enjoy it for what it is now which is as i say,about enough

Yesterday while coming onto the Edinburgh by-pass looked in my rear view mirror to see something that I had never ever seen in the flesh before. Got a bit giddy whilst saying to the missus.........f*****G hell look at this. Passed me as though I was going backwards and disappeared up the bypass and out of view within seconds. 1st time I've seen one on the road.....and they are Luverly and what a noise they make.

The car............................Porsche Carerra GT.

Reactions: MartayMcFly
And the missus said........
wow a Porsche. All you go on about is ****** cars. That's what mine would say anyway. They just don't understand.

​Lol, cant believe this thread is still going. :)

Blimey! I take it she was impressed by the noise, rather than disgusted. I'm a bit dissapointed that you didn't try and race it though!

​Lol, cant believe this thread is still going. :)

When your in my position Sandra then doodlin on this forum is a welcome break from detailing cars and building new websites. Hopefully that will change shortly........:idea:

Back on topic...........tortoise and hare springs to mind.

Personally I like to goad a little just to here an engine like that do what it's supposed to. I'd love to take a break from air conditioning and detail cars all day. Currently sat in a bank in sarf london waiting for the staff to clear off.

When your in my position Sandra then doodlin on this forum is a welcome break from detailing cars and building new websites. Hopefully that will change shortly........:idea:

Back on topic...........tortoise and hare springs to mind.

Great way to spend a day Mark. Maybe if i get time tonight, i will look at my family tree see if we are related in anyway. :)

Yesterday while coming onto the Edinburgh by-pass looked in my rear view mirror to see something that I had never ever seen in the flesh before. Got a bit giddy whilst saying to the missus.........f*****G hell look at this. Passed me as though I was going backwards and disappeared up the bypass and out of view within seconds. 1st time I've seen one on the road.....and they are Luverly and what a noise they make.

The car............................Porsche Carerra GT.
The only car to have ever pulled away from me on my Bike.. with a 60yr old guy that looked like "doc" from back to the future driving it! Couldn't believe the noise it made - I could hear it screaming over my 1000cc aprilia.. was AWESOME. There's always something faster...

dont know on the figures,to me bhp is for pubs...numbers on a strip or times on a track speak more when modifying,dyno runs should be done only to asses things such as fuelling/timing/egt etc..

my car should be sold tomorrow (getting a 350z ) but heres the spec etc click me to have a look

Ok but, BHP and Torque are the universally acknowledged units of measurement to indicate a cars output, add weight to that equation and you have a good barometer of straight line performance, add to that chassis and drivetrain characteristics and you have a good picture of how capable a car is around a circuit and `off the line`.

On this basis you cant completely dismiss the numbers as simply pub bragging rights.

I thought it was a valid question when you stated you had gave Stage 1 S3s and M3s something to think about, as 2 pretty quick motors, I was genuinely interested to know what a Stage 2 3.2 was all about.

Enjoy the 350, nice choice BTW.

Paul

Last edited:
Brought a wee smile to my face reading this...as long as it was a "private "road ;)

ST's make me chuckle! :) I just imagine them sat there in their horrible interior. I don't like fords at all!

I loved my ST it was great inside but nothing compared to the Audi. I miss the 2.5 sound which sounded amazing with a CAIS and a remap!

So how come you say:

The build quality was just as good as the S3
? This doesnt make much sense to me as audi is well known from using best interior materials. Ford is never going to reach such a level because they use different build politics, they meant to be reliable, well driven and affordable.

which was mapped to 271bhp with 440NM and I have to say there is not really a lot in it between my stage 1 S3 and the ST
I could understand manual S3 against mapped ST but with DSG acceleration is just staggering. ST will have good mid range but DSG is a different league and would outrun a lot of performance cars. Just to ask is your mapped with REVO?

Ok but, BHP and Torque are the universally acknowledged units of measurement to indicate a cars output, add weight to that equation and you have a good barometer of straight line performance, add to that chassis and drivetrain characteristics and you have a good picture of how capable a car is around a circuit and `off the line`.

On this basis you cant completely dismiss the numbers as simply pub bragging rights.

I thought it was a valid question when you stated you had gave Stage 1 S3s and M3s something to think about, as 2 pretty quick motors, I was genuinely interested to know what a Stage 2 3.2 was all about.

Enjoy the 350, nice choice BTW.

Paul

paul
A stg 2 map on a 3,2 will do nothing without the cams and so on except maybe slow it down. a stg 1 will give you about 12-15 bhp in the real world. decat is useful but only if you do something about the induction track ie enlarge and smooth bore. The std induction cant flow enough up the pipe. Cold air wil make little difference on a non turbo.
I did actually do some figures with my 3.2 and i found that stg 1 was less helpful than just using Tesco 99. BHP increase was not noticeable on the road being about 12bhp or just 4.5%.
The 3.2 with DSG will give a manual S3 a run for its money simply because its more flexible off the line and DSG will keep it at optimal power and save a bit on gear changes but it will never touch a mapped S3. It weighs more and and will be about40bhp down. ( or more) with a much milder power delivery. also bear in mind the extra BHP when tuning a 3.2 comes in at 6k rpm+ so for most occasions its not really practice to use it.
The really great thing about the 3.2 is it sounds ****** quick with a good exhaust which is half the battle/fun :)

So how come you say:

? This doesnt make much sense to me as audi is well known from using best interior materials. Ford is never going to reach such a level because they use different build politics, they meant to be reliable, well driven and affordable.

I could understand manual S3 against mapped ST but with DSG acceleration is just staggering. ST will have good mid range but DSG is a different league and would outrun a lot of performance cars. Just to ask is your mapped with REVO?

To clarify, the Focus is built in Germany so all of the cheap Ford build quality etc v the build quality of the German premium brands does not come into it. I would also say that my S3 rattles just as much as the Ford ever did, also this winter I had instances of my doors & windows freezing shut which never happened in the Focus so all in all for me (after almost 3 years of ownership) the Audi is no better than Ford (and I know a few people who agree with me).

As far as performance goes my comparison is based on real world driving (spirited around town and foot down on the motorway etc) not street racing (I'm 39 years old (almost) and I grew up a long time ago). Occasionally I'll have a little play with the chav brigade but generally i prefer to admire performance cars (be it VXR, ST, RS, Scooby, M etc etc). Oh and yes my remap is Revo!

Thats kind of bizzare. My 2 previous ST were really bad with rattles to a point when I just got rid of the second one just after 3 months and believe me I dont miss it at all. Had an A3 TDI then which was generally much better all rounder even mate of mine who owns his 3rd ST now says that the S3 is just phenomenal, solid and so much better inside. Maybe you were just unlucky with your one hard to say really. S3 is generally a different car in many aspects so is performance wise it needs a bit of revving to get out all of its power which someone may or may not like personally I thing its a good thing, ST feels much better at low revs and up to 5k then you find it a bit lean. S3 goes well when above 4k. Not to mention quattro system that helps especially around town, in wet or bumpy corners. At the end of the day each to their own although must be something that you love about S3 you wouldnt own one for such long otherwise would you?:].

saying that a car is good/has a different quality finish because of where it is built geographically is nonsense.. That's just racial stereotyping! By who it is built is another story altogether, companies have different techniques regardless of where their manufacturing is based.. Apple stuff is made in china, so are fake rolex's...

Thats kind of bizzare. My 2 previous ST were really bad with rattles to a point when I just got rid of the second one just after 3 months and believe me I dont miss it at all. Had an A3 TDI then which was generally much better all rounder even mate of mine who owns his 3rd ST now says that the S3 is just phenomenal, solid and so much better inside. Maybe you were just unlucky with your one hard to say really. S3 is generally a different car in many aspects so is performance wise it needs a bit of revving to get out all of its power which someone may or may not like personally I thing its a good thing, ST feels much better at low revs and up to 5k then you find it a bit lean. S3 goes well when above 4k. Not to mention quattro system that helps especially around town, in wet or bumpy corners. At the end of the day each to their own although must be something that you love about S3 you wouldnt own one for such long otherwise would you?:].

Maybe I was just lucky with my ST rather than unlucky with my S3 but to be fair you are correct when you say that I must love my S3 (which I do), I do however have friends with Audi's (S3 and an A5) and they all share similar opinions regarding the so called Audi build quality (again do not get me wrong as the build quality is good, it's just not fantastically good).

saying that a car is good/has a different quality finish because of where it is built geographically is nonsense.. That's just racial stereotyping! By who it is built is another story altogether, companies have different techniques regardless of where their manufacturing is based.. Apple stuff is made in china, so are fake rolex's...

Fair point!

My old Leon 170PD would destroy Astra VXR's LOL.
Hello mate are you still asleep .
WAKE UP
I have owned just about every hot hatch going and when i say you Have no clue and probs buy ur mods from halfords that should wrap up ur hidius comment if ur pd leon got within shooting distance of even a standard vxr the driver was in cruise control at 2000 rpm.
Many of the comments here are biasd as its an audi site but i have no preference and i can confirm a astra vxr will eat both s3 st any leon i know as i had a 305bhp amd tuned one i had the astra h vxr tuned at the same place cost 000s less to archive 300bhp and in a straight line is a lot faster hit a corner ur stuffed the vags clearly better period but as far as straight line speed in the vxr if the same driver was driving a tuned s3 would not touch a tuned vxr .
I know have a 2007 rs4 which Os a bit of a dissapointment tbh s3 better all round moter