REMAPS Late 2009 onwards

M

mjr901

From what I can gather from late 2009 remaps have to be done by removing the ECU and taking it in bits as they are "protected" However after 1 remap you can then remap as normal via OBD port.

My local dealer (bhp-uk) want an extra £50.00 for it, and they want to send it away so thus leaving me without my car!

Is the 2009 onwards lark true?

Revo/amd I think turn it around the same day I heard.

My current A3 is a May 2009 2.0TDI-140 that was remapped using the OBD port to around 170. I also understand that now the ECU has to be removed from the car to be remapped. The problem with doing this is that it's quite obvious it has been done and there is a possibility it could fall foul of the new 2012 MOT regulations. This seems to be a slightly grey area at the moment.

It is for this and the problems with insurance on a remapped car that for my new A3 Sportback, which has just arrived in the UK, I have gone for the 2.0TDI-170 from the factory.

Mmm i have a facelift s3 58 plate it was done using the ODB port, by statllers in sheffield using stage2 + revo software...

Both Shark and Revo can remap the latest cars via the OBD port.

Warren has had his 2012 S3 remapped by Revo ( his extensive write up has been posted recently ), and I spoke to Shark about my 2012 and they confirmed that this could be done via the OBD port, with no removal of the ECU.

S3's have the older ECU so they can still be remapped via the OBD2 port.

To pick up on the point of MOT failure if the ECU has been tampered with ... I doubt very much any MOT tester would even know where to find the ECU, never mind check the bolts or question why it's been opened (it could be for a genuine reason).

I'd be more worried if you were running catless (and DPFless) on the tdi engines as this is much easier to spot and would be an instant fail even though it still passes the emissions test.

The newest CR diesels are ecu out. I have done a 58 plate CR170 superb via obd. But then another wouldn't work.

The S3 is definitely obd, no new to take it out at all.

You can get new screws and sealant to replace the ecu cost again ;)

Mjr901 drop me a pm if you want a shark map.

S3's have the older ECU so they can still be remapped via the OBD2 port.

To pick up on the point of MOT failure if the ECU has been tampered with ... I doubt very much any MOT tester would even know where to find the ECU, never mind check the bolts or question why it's been opened (it could be for a genuine reason).

I'd be more worried if you were running catless (and DPFless) on the tdi engines as this is much easier to spot and would be an instant fail even though it still passes the emissions test.

With a new car your average MOT tester may not be able to check the ECU but I'm sure an Audi Tech would be able to if there was a problem with the engine under warranty.

Just had mine revo'd. Yes it did require ecu out. They tried to do it via the port but this just locked up something in the software. It didn't take long to do the other way though. Well happy!!!

so do they have to break anything to get into it? or does it come nicely apart? definitely don't want to affect the MOT.

I can see my ecu being held together with silicone glue, and it spitting out the edges and it looking back street dodgy

Mmm i have a facelift s3 58 plate it was done using the ODB port, by statllers in sheffield using stage2 + revo software...

A 58 plate would be early 09 latest. my old 09 plate S3 was also remapped via OBD.

The ecu is located under the scuttle panel so MOT and Audi Tech in service will never see it.
I have been told (by my local Seat dealer) though that the dealer can now tell when they plug into you car if it has been mapped regardless of ecu.

go REVO. post 2009 over here, all ecu's are mapped by modifying the ecu physically not via obd. APR and REVO are easy to do in a few hours. we don't have shark so I can't render an opinion. REVO tune is very nice

Hi all,

Audi S3's can be done via OBD. Most others 2009 onwards have an RSA protection feature which means OBD is impossible. This means ECU removal. Audi dealers cannot tell if it has been remapped, however what they can do is over write the remap if a software update is required, taking the car back to standard. When I remap these, I prefer to take the ECU out anyway, as it allow me to get a full backup of the original software.

Rick

Hi all,

Audi S3's can be done via OBD. Most others 2009 onwards have an RSA protection feature which means OBD is impossible. This means ECU removal. Audi dealers cannot tell if it has been remapped, however what they can do is over write the remap if a software update is required, taking the car back to standard. When I remap these, I prefer to take the ECU out anyway, as it allow me to get a full backup of the original software.

Rick

Shark performance are somehow getting around this problem.

Might have had some older ECU's in the 61 one plates they've done then.

I am an MOT tester and there is nothing in the MOT about performance tuning. The fact there had been talk of this was brought up as a question at the last VOSA seminar I went too (3 weeks-ish ago) The panel of "MOT/VOSA experts" said that they had briefly looked into checking via an OBD socket but quickly discovered that it simply wasn't possible or feasible. This will definitely not be introduced in the foreseeable future, they very much doubt it will ever be checked.

The only way VAG dealerships can tell if the car has been Remapped is via the VAS system doing a test that runs the engine and does something with the boost control. It will then post up a message saying something along the lines of "it is likely this vehicle has been modified" or similar. They don't tell by looking at the software.

ECU update wise, The Tricore/EDC 16 units (mainly CR diesels) from 09 need to be opened to program them, This does NOT apply to all 09 on cars, Many are still tunable via the socket. The ECU has some security bolts which are easy to remove, then they have to be split along a glued joint. If this is done with care the ECU will go back together without being able to tell its been tampered with. So as long as you use someone decent it should go beck together without any issues or obvious signs of tuning.

Even when the ECU needs opening its no problem to get the car back to the customer in the same day.

Some very brief and simplified info here Lion Garage Hay on Wye

Hope this helps.
Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob W8