Just recieved my vent gauge pod...help please

S3featesV9

Reaction score
So just had my vet pod through the post, having abit of trouble fitting my 52mm gauge inside. It does say some sanding down may be required etc. but seriously how much do I need to take off? Worried I might make the outer lip to thin. The bit where the gauge face sits.

Also just wondering what wire do I connect the positive too from the gauge? And where's best to earth it?

Will post some pics when it's all finished. Just need a little bit of help before I do it all tomorrow.

I no there are two places to t off, the fpr line or dv to Inlet hose. Buts what's best to t off of? Any pics of peoples installs I the engine bay would be a great help.

positive is up to you. i wired mine into one of the fuses. so when the ign turns on so does the gauges.

or you could wire it into one of the backlight lights e.g cig lighter light so it only lights up when you turn the lights on

earth. any bare metal sureface, there is a earth point behind the drivers side of the dash. just use a ring crimp and join onto the earth bolt

Hi james,

Just take a little off at a time until you have a snug fit. Im sure you wont cause any damage.

The pdf file i sent to you will show you how to install the gauge and the pictures show some good shots of the engine. I prefer to T off of the FPR.

Hope installation goes well.

Eddie

Yeah still have the file Eddie, it's given me quite a good idea about the t-piece and stuff. Just wondering about the wiring as the PDF file is for a4/s4? I have decided I'm going to use the headlight switch loom. Just wondering which colour wire to bridge into. Do have a multi metre to hand but thought someone might of been to just tell me lol. Lazy I suppose.

Is there any way to see if the gauge lights up before I fit it tomorrow? Just got it fitting in the pod nice and snug.

a 9V battery will light it up

9voltBattery.jpg

nice one, had a feeling it would be something as simple as that

I've seen this mentioned for people doing N429 bypasses as well. You get the same pressure reading from the DV and FPR line. However if you have a boost leak at your t piece (3 new potential holes) and you have plumbed it in to your FPR then you will under fuel and run lean which isn't good.

You have done the N249 bypass so you could plumb is straight into the top of the DV

Obviously if you guarantee that you have a perfect seal at your T piece then it makes no odds

Ok so just plumbed it all in. Lights up so wiring is good. Problem is...I'm not getting a reading? I got a tpiece at the dv end of the inlet to dv hose. Then routed from there along engine bat down through main harness part and into the back of the gauge. Not sure why I have no reading? Obviously something really isn't right

Is the vac pipe properly attached at the back of the boost gauge?

have you kinked the pipe ?

It was before I placed the vent pod back in its place, weather it's come off during fitment I don't no. Was a pretty tight fit onto the rear nipple though. I will double check in a minute. The vent pod is in properly snug too. Will be fun lol. Is there anything else I can check? I checked all the Jose I can see for splits and there's nothing. Tpiece is all good too

Was kinked behind the vent. Just took it out for a drive as battery went flat from door being open all day.

When sat in neutral at idle it's sits at about 16inHg. And it peaks at about 21ish? That sound about right?

around 20HG is about right. the PSI would depend on your mods and maps

Should be around 20 mark.

21psi if mapped sounds about right as well mate.

That's a relief then. Yeah it's mapped, no idea what too just have a reciept for a cc phase 1.

fb771514.jpg

c5384a1c.jpg

Where did you end up taking the live from?

I used the live and negative from the vent light. Can now be dimmed along with other interior lights

i would personally get a better gauge.

cheap thing off ebay ?

Well off eBay but wasn't the cheapest. What's wrong with it?

i've used gauge in the past (with the same brand logo) which was cheap from ebay less then £15, gave incorrect read outs

Payed about 28 for that one. I do understand its probably not as good as some others. Got a stack gauge on the bday list for next month. Should go with interior a bit better too. Was going to mask it up and spray silver face black but cba.

nice one that you managed to fit it. I like how you took the live feed from the vent light.

Thats very cheap for a gauge, im fussy so wouldnt go that route as its not something that looks suited to the interior, for me podi gauges are great quality and match the interior perfectly plus once fitted they look stock (as if fitted from factory) If you have the money you definetly should go for the one i suggested.

Cheers Eddie, that gauge was like £135 though which is too much for me to spend on a gauge. I believe it's most likely worth the money, I just cant afford it myself.

This is my install. The pod did take a fair bit of sanding out but managed eventually :)

It's a newsouth performance boost gauge from swg Motorsport.

At night (looks quite light in comparison to the clocks but it's just the picture, is a very close match to the clock colours in real life)
0351b857.jpg

And during the day
be3c8f06.jpg

:)