Drivers side air vent gauge pod...

So i found another pod vent mount... It is as with the other not finished ( nobody seemed even close to bothered when i first surgested it)
I managed to get a couple of vents from an crashed A3 to have a play with rather than taking my car to bits all the time.
I started with this...
Vent.jpg

Then removed the slats...
Ventminusvains.jpg

Then i roughly cut some woood to fit and stand proud of the vent so i could start to shape it.
I will be filling and fibre glassing the pod for final fitment ( to make it look like its ment to be there yet still be removable)
This is where im at with this one.
Ventpodblank.jpg

Ventandblank.jpg

If people are actualy intrested i will make time to finish them.
I didnt cut a hole in this one as ... 1 it needs finishing to shape and 2 i wasnt sure if just 52mm gauges are used.

Reactions: Freeman_1986
I'm in process of buying a boost gauge, so I'd need a vent pod.

So am interested in one if it's a perfect fit and smooth. Not too worried about the colour as I'll be wrapping it in carbon fibre vinyl to match my ash tray and other bits that used to be piano trim.

Looking good Paul, your doing well with making these pods! Maybe if you finish one completely and whacked some pictures up people will commit to buying one once they have seen the finished product. I myself would be interested mate.

Keep up the good work.

Steve

Any tips on removing the slats? I found that there are metal slats on the spare vent I have, is it best to cut them out?

they sit in small notchs in the housing... remove the vent and then push the slats towards one of the ends so it slightly bend and allows you to remove them. At one end they are linked but come out the same way.i havent damaged any of the slats or the housing so its not that hard. Just be careful but firm.

Any updates on this Paul? Just got myself a boost gauge but holding out buying an extortionate bit of plastic untill i hear if your going to be selling these! :)

Hi,
Ive done one to fit in my car ( unsure if to sell my expensive one or the first finished one)
At the moment its still fitted in my spare A3 vent which is grey/brown kind of colour so it doesnt look as good as it will when in my S3
I will finish another two tomorrow hopefully,
Remember the pods im making need you to remove the slats from your vent then slot in the pod and fit your gauge,
If i get time to remove the posh one from my car i will fit my first completed pod
Ive sprayed mine satin black at the moment. What colour / finish would people pick??

Just a point i need to raise,
I didnt realy start this thread to make money,
I paid the silly amount for one of these vents then realised just how simple they are for the money,
Bordem at work led me to try making one , Personaly i think if you have the time its not that difficult.
When i asked what colour people would have i never realised there was more than one finish until i bought the A3 vent i used and it was like a browny grey rather than the dark grey/ black i thought they all are.

I would suggest that if you decide to make these for people that you supply them un painted or a base colour/primer mate and then its up to the individual to colour code them to their own dash...

Will make your life a bit easier :)

<tuffty/>

Ye i guess,
Ive just primed a few but as with most things... its when you paint them black that small marks become soooo much more obvious, God knows how anybody lives with a black car

Fibre glass and maybe a bit of plastic filler will be as good as it can be next to gel coat and moulding etc mate...

The panels supplied for the Liquid Gauge are from a rapid prototyper or 3d printer I think... the finish is smooth but not without the odd imperfection... cellulose or similar paint will always show imperfections...

I used Rustoleum Hard Hat matt black on mine to paint mine again... gives a nice finish

http://www.rustoleum.co.uk/colourselect/3/8

<tuffty/>

Ye i guess,
Ive just primed a few but as with most things... its when you paint them black that small marks become soooo much more obvious, God knows how anybody lives with a black car
Yeah you know that lol