Had to happen eventually; wing mirror removal?

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well it had to happen really didn't it. Lost a poker game (£20, not too bad), came out to find my Alu mirrors had been wrenched off the S3.

How do I go about removing the bases guys?

Oh and if anyone sees some become available, give me a shout so I can go hunting. The shotgun hasn't been used in at least 2 months...

Cheers,

Jamie

Where was your car at the time? Somewhere public? Seems to be more & more of this happening nowadays. Sorry to hear about this again.

Gutted for you JD (and I'll only post this once!)

This happened to me within the first two weeks of owning my s3. Didn't no it was a regular thing.

Can't really help on the removal bit though. Body shop done mine as I didn't really know anything about the car at the time

Yeah on the road I live on. Not exactly a rough area, Clapham in London!

Russ, didn't know you were on here lad? Cheers all.

Anyone know how to remove the mirror bases? Found some on eBay and just going to bite the bullet. Running out of time before driving up North for Xmas :(

Shame to hear this. Makes me want to wire mine up to a secondary battery.

Sorry to hear Jamie! I was thinking of spraying my mirrors but I don't want it to be robbed! I think you can take the base off from inside the door. Don't think you need to take off the door cards. Hope you get it sorted soon

Cheers Gops mate, long time, hope you're well. Cheers, I thought it might be. Changed my old Clio ones several times as they were taken in Leeds twice, so hopefully should be just as easy and plug and play...

Bought some "new" used ones from eBay. Only £250 :(

they were the real deal were they? Gutted, they're not cheap. Sorry to hear. I thought you had sold up?

sorry to hear about the wing mirrors....fkn pikeys!
Keep an eye on ebay for anyone selling the chromes local to you... could be the same guys...maybe its time to get the rusty shotgun out!?

Yeah take the little trim off inside, and access to the bolts are there, i think you can just take them off without removal of the door card.
gutted for you ..the fkn sub human scum....

Gutted, sorry to hear it mate, scumbags all over the place.

I've been wanting to get some for my car, but I think this has made me decided that for the price they are, and the risk of getting them stolen being quite high, i'm not going to bother now.

Just make sure you having bought back your own pair!

Sorry to hear dude, I know how you feel.

I loved my wing mirrors and it's what makes Audi S/RS cars stand out from the rest of the crowd but ever since I bought the car I somewhat felt that them being ripped off was inevitable... sad but true!

Thieving filth need their fingers chopped off, if only Audi secured them properly in the first place...

Sorry to hear it Jamie. Taking the mirrors off is pretty easy. There is one large spline bolt on the inside which holds the mirror on. You need to remove the plastic trim on the inside (can't remember if you need to take the door card off for this but I think you did as the card overlaps that trim IIRC but you may be able to slide it out without taking the card off). Once off pull away the connector and foam padding in there and you should see the bolt. Just make sure when you are undoing the bolt that you hold the other end of the mirror so that it doesn't drop off and mark your door when you have taken the bolt out. Andy

Er actually considering you don't really have much mirror left, you shouldn't have to worry too much about it dropping off and marking your door....................my bad.

Sorry to hear what has happened. The alloy mirrors are more trouble than they are worth TBH - they get stolen far too frequently.

This is an old thread with a how-to guide on securing the mirror to the door frame using reinforced lock cable. Basically you can loop it through part of the alloy mirror and then secure it onto the frame. It means you can't just rip them off, you need bolt cutters to get through the cable.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ad-their-wing-mirrors-s3-stolen-recently.html

Not sure if it's a good idea or not - ok it will make them harder to nick, but flip-side you are more likely to have the door skin damaged.

Cheers all. Yeah they were real originals so very ****** off. Have bought some new ones (listed before mine were stolen lol) and keeping an eye on gum tree and eBay.

Thanks for all the links and guides guys. Once delivered I'll get on it.

I have a pair of genuine ally ones waiting to be fitted to my car, but all these thefts have prevented me from doing so, plus they weigh twice as much as the plastic ones! So hardly a performance mod.

Jd didn't realise you lived in clapham. Used to live in clapham junction and then Brixton and streatham! I got my mirrors stolen whilst parked in Ruskin park just whilst I was at work at kings. I have a drivers side aluminium cap as I too had to buy a pair of new brushed aluminium mirors.

Cheers Gops mate, long time, hope you're well. Cheers, I thought it might be. Changed my old Clio ones several times as they were taken in Leeds twice, so hopefully should be just as easy and plug and play...

Bought some "new" used ones from eBay. Only £250 :(

Yeah i know! Finally on the S3 flex now me! ;) Hope your goood too mate! Ahh its bound to cost around that for some good ones, i had to think twice before buying, at the end i didnt bother. When i went to audi and spoke to one of the guys there he told me that the new S and RS range dont have aluminium mirrors no more, they're plastic because they keep getting stolen!! Thats audi's answer to it!