My S3 Has Spat Its Dummy Out!!!

Is there any blueing /Marks on the shells on the bust conrod? i would be more interested in the failure than the build...:sly:.....you dont think the conrod just worked loose somehow? Never seen the big end bolts shear before...:blink:
Good luck with the build mate...

just noticed, you'l need a large port inlet mani gasket. thats a small port in the pic there.

otherwise, great work, well done! :)

Why will i need large port inlet gasket? i am fitting the S3 inlet mani and i tried the mani gasket on the head and it fits fine :)

so dose this engine goes straight in and is the same as an s3 one but with bigger ports? or is there parts you need from the s3 lump (not including auxiliaries) or can you just stick the large port head and inlet manie on?

Yes mate, they are both exactley the same from the outside, all mointing points ect... just using the golf block and head and fitting everything else off the S3 to that engine and fingers crossed away i go.

Is there any blueing /Marks on the shells on the bust conrod? i would be more interested in the failure than the build...:sly:.....you dont think the conrod just worked loose somehow? Never seen the big end bolts shear before...:blink:
Good luck with the build mate...

No mate the shells looked fine to me, looks like who ever done the build last time must have over tightened the bolts and they have just gone ping! :slapped: Was starting to get dark when i stripped it down so didnt get much time to look at it more

:think: may have to look into that. What is the large port gasket off?

Ah well looks like i will have to go back tomorrow and see if i can swap the gasket over. Its going to need a good bit porting oy bu the looks of it the S3 inlet

its been done by many, im struggling to find pics for you in threads, but there are some about.
just creates a smooth transition from the small port inlet manifold to the large port head. which is better than having it step down suddenly.
it is possible to use your small port and small port gasket obv, there will just be a heck of a lip. your choice at the end of the day. but if you have acces to a dremmel with suitable attatchments then why not.

^ Karl is it? That's a really good point, as I'm doing the same as Eddy. I was thinking of getting the SEM mani (is that right?) but like you say if you can open the ports on the mani yourself than why not!

Pat

Ah well looks like i will have to go back tomorrow and see if i can swap the gasket over. Its going to need a good bit porting oy bu the looks of it the S3 inlet

^ Karl is it? That's a really good point, as I'm doing the same as Eddy. I was thinking of getting the SEM mani (is that right?) but like you say if you can open the ports on the mani yourself than why not!

Pat

There is not enough metal to fully open an S3 small port mani to a large port head...

I used a transition phenolic gasket and blended it into the mani...
20100910_IMAG0183.jpg

More from here...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...9-my-minor-modding-thread-17.html#post1065601

<tuffty/>

If i cant port the S3 inlet to be large enough could i not just use the Golf AGU inlet or is the S3 inlet better? I just want to keep the S3 inlet the way it is so the TB is on the gearbox side so I don’t have intercooler pipes coming over the top of the engine.
What is phenolic? Searched it on google and some things say its plywood and others say it’s plastic. Would PTFE be any better and i could maybe just make a reducer gasket from the head to the manifold but i would try port the manifold out as much as i could.

If i cant port the S3 inlet to be large enough could i not just use the Golf AGU inlet or is the S3 inlet better? I just want to keep the S3 inlet the way it is so the TB is on the gearbox side so I don’t have intercooler pipes coming over the top of the engine.
What is phenolic? Searched it on google and some things say its plywood and others say it’s plastic. Would PTFE be any better and i could maybe just make a reducer gasket from the head to the manifold but i would try port the manifold out as much as i could.

A3/Golf plenum is smaller... dunno why you are worrying... both Welly and I have surpassed 370bhp on S3 inlets...

Bill sells phenolic gaskets... they act as an insulator between the engine and the inlet mani to prevent heatsoak of the inlet manifold... they are typically made from a fibreglass type of material

<tuffty/>

So it basicley does the same as PTFE? I use to run a 10mm PTFE inlet gasket on my old GTi6 track car and made a hell of a difference. I just want to make sure the job is done well and make the most of having my engine out so i can get all i can out of the new engine. I will see what i can do with the S3 inlet when i get a chance. Can always leave that till last as i can put that back o when the engine is in. Still need to buy an intercooler yet. Does the R32 TB make much difference on the S3 inlet? Noticed you have one on your s3 :)

PTFE is not really suitable on a turbo application as it goes too soft due to there being more heat that you would get in a NA setup... there was a 'power gasket' made by somebody (can't remember who off hand) and it would go soft and you would get boost leaks... you would then find all the mani bolts were loose so you would naturally tighten them and it would squeeze the soft gasket flatter and into the inlet tract...

As for the R32 TB... I haven't had a chance to do any back to back testing as yet... however... my car is off the road atm as the turbo/mani studs have stretched so the turbo is loose... plans are afoot to sort this out as outlined in one of the last posts I made on my build thread and if I get the time/inclination I may try the 60mm tb and 75mm tb back to back to see if there is any difference... it will however be subjective at best as my setup is a little different to most.... has got to be said that the Mk2 Golf I recently worked on running a GT3071 on an AGU engine made over 470hp on an AGU inlet mani and 60mm cable TB...

<tuffty/>

I will keep an eye on your thread then with the R32 TB, might buy myself one next month once i get everything else i need. Will want one before i go in for my new map tho. Just need to know my new engine is going to run sweet before i start spending more money on it, might look at the bigger turbo kit next year :) Hoping for about 285bhp with my new set up.
Engine and box is just about all back together now ready to fit back in tomorrow and started up if i get enough time. What oil is best for these engines? Gave a few bits a lick of paint yesterday aswell to tidy the engine up abit

2011-11-10163117.jpg

2011-11-10163050.jpg

2011-11-10180454.jpg

Niceone, Was planning on getting it on the road and filling the talk and taking it on a road trip then doing a fresh oil change. Who else on here is running an AGU with S3 turbo and running gear? Has there been any problems i should watch out for or is everything going to be fine? Should be like a new engine now i have done all belts, gaskets, plugs and oil and filter. Going to get a lend of a dremel tomorrow and port out that S3 inlet manifold abit and go pick up a new Inlet gasket.

....Who else on here is running an AGU with S3 turbo and running gear? Has there been any problems i should watch out for or is everything going to be fine?....

Welly!!! I wouldn't read his thread though it will scare you to death LOL!!!

<tuffty/>

tbh you should be ok... Welly's issues were different to yours and he was running a hybrid in the end...

As long as you have put the engine back together ok then you should be fine... advice to you would be to get the car on a dyno before you rag it rotten just to make sure the engine is happy with the configuration change...

<tuffty/>

Yeah i was planning on booking it into evo tune in Durham next weekend, £40 for 3 runs with print out and they tell you how your car is running :) Going to fill the talk and have a nice long ride over the northern pennines to penrith or something like that then give it a fresh oil filter and some new oil. Should be fine, Dont think i have missed anything. Been hard with my dad moving everything here there and everywhere. Wish people could just leave things alone :laugh:

Just bought a new FMIC tonight. Core size of 580x290x76mm. Its overall size is 790x290x76. Just need to order pipe work now. Planning on keeping fog lights, Got all pipe sizes from your thread mate :) Thanks

It's coming together fast, nice!!

Eddy, did all the S3 hardware fit on the AGU block/head ok?
It's just I read some where about blocking up some pipes?

All i have used off the AGU engine is the block and head. All pipes, plugs and clutch and flywheel i have took off the s3 engine and fitted to the agu block. I havnt had to block anything up. Its a straight forwad job realy mate

Splendid!
When are you hoping to start it up?

Today :)

Well a big thanks to my dad for helping me this week and Nick (mush) for popping over today after work to give me a hand getting everything done. Went from being an empty engine bay this morning to having a fully fitted and running AGU engine under the bonnet :yahoo: i got the engine in its mounts with the down pipe bolted on when nick turned up then from then on i sat back and watched nick get to work :laugh: well i did help a little. Thanks again nick for sorting the harness what would have been my giggers problem finding what went there and basicley helping me get the car started. Turnd over and started 1st time and runs sweet as a nut. Just leaves me to fit prop, passanger drive shaft, gear box oil and the rest of the front end.

In just over a week it has gone from a broken APY to a fully serviced AGU engine

2011-11-01125838.jpg

2011-11-11185141.jpg

Get on!
You have to report back once you have taken it out on the road, tell us how it feels (if any difference)

Pat

Will be a few days before i get back to you all on how different it is, Going to give it a run in before i give it any bog boosts. Want to get it on the rolling road next weekend aswell if i can get it booked in. Filled the engine with 15w 40 multigrade for now then once it has done a tank of petrol i will be doing an full oil and filter change and using 5w 40 fully synth oil then all should be well after than :)

I will give you a call tomorrow afternoon nick and pop down once it get it down on all 4 wheels and on the road

Driving mint but its boosting to 26psi with the N75H valve so just put an N75F valve on and its dropped to about 22-24psi. Dont realy feel safe with boosting that hight but i will try get it on the vag com this.

26psi is waaaaaaaaaaay too high... there is no advantage to running that level of boost on these turbos...

Pull the N75 electrical plug and drive around on actuator pressure until you are happy its running ok and then get it to a dyno for a check over...

It will end in tears again if you are not careful...

<tuffty/>

26psi is waaaaaaaaaaay too high... there is no advantage to running that level of boost on these turbos...

Pull the N75 electrical plug and drive around on actuator pressure until you are happy its running ok and then get it to a dyno for a check over...

It will end in tears again if you are not careful...

<tuffty/>

I am going to run a boost controller along side the N75 to limit the boost to about 20psi till i can get it on the rolling road and get it vag com checked. Put about 100 mile on it yesterday so another few hundred mile then an oil change then job done till i get my intercooler pipes ordered and in for a new map.
I am having a bit of a heater problem now actualy, All i am getting is either cold air or slightley warmer air out the vents even on a high temp. Before the engine went all i was getting out was hot air. Any ideas on my problem there?

This it the engine all finished and running.

2011-11-12153404.jpg

Last edited:
Well a little update:

The car is running fine now i have the boost controller running alongside the N75 to stop it over boosting. Boost is set to 20-22psi and car feels great. Will be doing the oil chance on friday as i will have done about 300+ miles since the rebuild. Also my nice new intercooler turned up today :D my pipe work should be here tomorrow i hope so i can get it all fitted on Friday morning when i get in from work. Depending on how much i get pai this week, if i have enough spare i want to get it on the rolling road to see how its running

Intercooler size:
core - 580x300x79
overall - 790x300x79

2011-11-16192550.jpg

2011-11-16192601.jpg

I am having a bit of a heater problem now actualy, All i am getting is either cold air or slightley warmer air out the vents even on a high temp. Before the engine went all i was getting out was hot air. Any ideas on my problem there?...

Have you checked the coolant level since the rebuild? have you made sure you have plumbed the water lines right? there are subtle differences between VAG models and if you haven't got it plumbed right then you could cause airlocks or just not have it routing right... I assume the engine is warming up ok and showing 90 on the temp gauge?

The hard pipe running along the 'front' of the block (front as in facing front of the car) can differ as can the plumbing for the plastic water housing on the side of the head...

Typically these engines are easy to fill with water after a strip down like this as the expansion tank is highest point...

<tuffty/>

Have you checked the coolant level since the rebuild? have you made sure you have plumbed the water lines right? there are subtle differences between VAG models and if you haven't got it plumbed right then you could cause airlocks or just not have it routing right... I assume the engine is warming up ok and showing 90 on the temp gauge?

The hard pipe running along the 'front' of the block (front as in facing front of the car) can differ as can the plumbing for the plastic water housing on the side of the head...

Typically these engines are easy to fill with water after a strip down like this as the expansion tank is highest point...

<tuffty/>

Everything is fine now :) Heating is warm and temp is sitting at 90 on the dash, i just ran the car with the coolant lid off for abit and there was a few bubbles came through what must have been stuck in the system

Everything is fine now :) Heating is warm and temp is sitting at 90 on the dash, i just ran the car with the coolant lid off for abit and there was a few bubbles came through what must have been stuck in the system

Bingo :)

<tuffty/>