My S3 Has Spat Its Dummy Out!!!

what happened to your engine mate? pat is it?

Yeah it's Pat,
Got my S3 two weeks ago had it 3days & number 3 big end spun on the crank. Replace the big ends (all 4 sets) & it done it again with in 8.7miles lol
The crank is shot so there's no point in messin, I'll put a different engine in.
So now I'm riding around in my wife's 6n3 gti, please don't take the p*** haha

Therel be no problems from fitting an AGU lump. The engines are nigh on identical. AGU has a slightly higher compression ratio but a large port head whereas the APY has the lower compression ratio but with a small port head.

Raising the compression ratio but slowing down inlet air speeds with the large port head will make near as damn it no difference. Go for the AGU, the higher price for S3 lumps arent worth it.

The AGU externally is the same as the APY so will bolt up with all your APY hardware.

So you say go for an AGU lump Nick. Tried ringing you today. I am hoping to get an engine at the weekend, there is an AGU engine for £400 what is 100mile away or i can get an APY engine for £600 from the same place. Not sure what to do? I have Hurd with the mods i have on my s3 now if i bolt them to an AGU engine i should see around 300bhp with a new map but other people say there sluggish and bring up fault codes, something to do with exhaust gas recirculation or something like that!!!

Text you bud, only thing to consider is the secondary air injection on the APY, the AGU head doesnt have the hole in the head for the EGR portbut you can remove it no probs at all. Ive removed that system a few times with no problems. Most people remove as part of course anyways because its bulky and can fail.

Text you bud, only thing to consider is the secondary air injection on the APY, the AGU head doesnt have the hole in the head for the EGR portbut you can remove it no probs at all. Ive removed that system a few times with no problems. Most people remove as part of course anyways because its bulky and can fail.

Yeah got it mate. Its fine, the secondary air injection on my s3 engine has been remoed aswell. Gona ring the bloke up today who has both AGU and APY engine and see what deal he can do me an i will pros go for the AGU engine if its going to be fine to use :)

Well i have gone and bought myself an AGU engine comes with manifolds and turbo, Collecting it at the weekend. Not that i will need the turbo ect... Hope this is going to work :/

Nice one Eddy, glad you've sorted an engine out! When will you fit it?

Gona try go pick it up at the weekend so will be sometime next week. hopefully be back on the road within the next 2 weeks :yahoo:

Made a start pulling bits off the engine so it makes it abit easyer when i come to remove it, Got the air filter ond top boost pipe off the the rain came :( So the job got put on hold

2011-11-01125838.jpg

Once it stopped raining i went back out and got the manifold, water pipes, Fuel rail, unpluggeg all plugs i could see, removed gear cables and just anything else i could get to what would get in the way of the engine coming out, Need to get my car in the garden then i will get the front end off and the car jacked up so i can the down pipe off and the shafts un bolted ect...
Will just have to make do with the Saxo vts for a little longer but there is someone coming to look at it at the weekend so if that sell it means i will have more cash for the S3 :hubbahubba:

2011-11-01144555.jpg

2011-10-24165335.jpg

2011-10-24165410.jpg

Fair play! So your taking the engine out in your garden?

Fair play! So your taking the engine out in your garden?

Sure am mate, I dont have a garage to work in :3sadwalk:Give me 2 weeks and i will have the s3 back up and running if i hit no problems. Just if work didnt get in the way it would be done at the weekend haha.

Going to get the car jacked up tomorrow and work on getting down pipe off, prop and drive shafts and all the front end off ready to pull the engine out

Nick am gona crack on as much as i can, i should be alright with most of it but help would be much appreciated as much as you can. Will be getting the engine at the weekend and fitting all my parts on sunday and monday so should be fitting the engine by tuesday or wednesday :D

Sweet Chris, no worries, ill speak to you at the weekend mate ;)

Niceone. Do you no of anywhere local i can get a 10mm thick PTFE sheet 40cm x 8cm? i want to make an inlet manifold gasket, dont one for my old GTi6 and made a hell of a difference on keeping the inlet cooler

Last edited:
Not a clue mate, most use phenolic gaskets but theyre damn pricey. I got mine off a group buy many moons ago. Ebay...?

not in no rush for one, just thought if i could get some then why not do it now while my engines out :)

Looking to get a front mount intercooler this weekend to fit while i have my front end off. What size whould you all recommend that i get? I have been looking at smallish ones: Core Dimensions - 550mm x 165mm x 65mm. It says its good for 600bhp... Do you think that will be ok with the spec i have or should i go for something bigger?

Spec:
Golf AGU 1.8t engine (Lower compression pistons and more of a ported head over the S3 engine)
Stage 2 remap (Will more than likely get a new map once new engine and cooler are fitted)
K&N cone filter
Sports cat
Full through Milltek
N75H valve (gives me 22psi of boost)
N249 valve bypassed
Secondary air pump removed
K04 turbo

All of the above should see me good for 285bhp+

Well i got cracking on abit more today when i finaly rolled out of bed :gaehn: Got the full front end off, all the pipes and wires desconected aswell, just need to get under the car now and get to the prop and shafts ect...
Had a better look of the hole in my engine aswel, Doesnt look good, Also found a crack in the sump.

2011-11-03181529.jpg

2011-11-03181308.jpg

2011-11-03175649.jpg

2011-11-03175640.jpg

Looking to get a front mount intercooler this weekend to fit while i have my front end off. What size whould you all recommend that i get? I have been looking at smallish ones: Core Dimensions - 550mm x 165mm x 65mm. It says its good for 600bhp... Do you think that will be ok with the spec i have or should i go for something bigger?

Spec:
Golf AGU 1.8t engine (Lower compression pistons and more of a ported head over the S3 engine)
Stage 2 remap (Will more than likely get a new map once new engine and cooler are fitted)
K&N cone filter
Sports cat
Full through Milltek
N75H valve (gives me 22psi of boost)
N249 valve bypassed
Secondary air pump removed
K04 turbo

All of the above should see me good for 285bhp+
*Edit to Higher compression pistons.

you'l need a new TIP, preferably Badger5 80mm TIP, and FMIC to reach that figure.

nice work, looks horrible to see an S3 like that :(

And heres all the info on intercoolers you'l need: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/75425-ah-fab-ebay-forge-s3-fmic-image-heavy.html

How much are the Badger5 80mm TIP's? What about just gettin a forge tip? they no good? Plannin on gettin an intercooler anyway before it goes back on the road.

Picked up my new AGU engine today, came with everything except coil packs and injectors. Just need to order belts and gaskets now then get it all back together with my s3 parts and hope for the best

Nice one mate, theres no proven gains with the forge TIP, although the stronger silicone doesnt collapse in like the standard one. The badger TIP has good proven gains though, well worth it. Think theyre around £150ish but im sure someone will know for sure. Bills on here though so give him a pm.

I will look into it, in no hurry just yet, Just need the engine in and running 1st before i go spending more money :)

Well i cracked on today and get my broken engine out and stripped down. Ordered new belts and gaskets ready to pick up tomorrow i hope and i can get the AGU lump built up.
The hole in the engine is alot bigger than i thought and there is about a quater of my conrod left, half a piston, mashed up oil pump and the oil chail is sittin in the sump. Looks like i done a good job of breaking it

2011-11-07162025.jpg

2011-11-07162129.jpg

2011-11-07162240.jpg

Awesome, smashed the cap clean off the rod aswell!!!

Blutak would sort that...

jesus christ thats awesome!
so what was the level of tune of your car again? any figures?

I have a print out there from just of 265bhp. Hoping for arround 280bhp with this new engine :D All my gaskets and belts are in today so going to go pick them up this afternoon and get the build started

Loving the pic's!!
Keep the good work up & the pic's coming

Pat

Thanks pat. Can’t wait to get it back up and running again.

Picked up my gaskets, belts and coolant today, still waiting on oil filter to come yet tho. Scored on an extra head gasket :D didn’t notice till i opened the box to see 2 sitting there. Suppose i could always have a spare just in case. Striped the rest of the old engine down today to see what has happened for it to blow a hole in the block? A lot more damage than I was expecting! The Big end bolts have snapped on the conrod and by the looks of it the crank has snapped the rod and threw half of it through the block. The bottom of the rod was sat in the sump along with the oil pump and chain.
Cracked on with the new engine after that, gave the block a rub down with a wire brush and going to give it a lick of paint tomorrow to clean it up. After that I pulled the head off and all is straight and fine, no damage so I cleaned it up and stuck on the new gasket. Going to get the timing belt fitted tomorrow along with turbo and manifold ready for the engine to go back in either tomorrow night or Thursday. I gave to engine bay a cleanup as well, degreased the whole engine bay and washed off and the oil and crap so it should all look nice and new once I get the engine back in

2011-11-08132942.jpg

DSCF2830.jpg

DSCF2824.jpg

DSCF2825.jpg

DSCF2829.jpg

oops :box:what a mess! good luck with the build bud.

so dose this engine goes straight in and is the same as an s3 one but with bigger ports? or is there parts you need from the s3 lump (not including auxiliaries) or can you just stick the large port head and inlet manie on?

Last edited: