1.8T gearbox/clutch issues?

eddieantifreeze

Reaction score
Ive owned my 1.8T for a few months now - when I bought it selecting reverse often came with a crunch unless you pause before selecting and do it really slowly. Also 1st could be tricky to select especially if rolling slightly.

Since then I have found it trickier to select reverse, 1st, 2nd and recently 3rd is starting to feel a little bit 'notchy'

At first I thought Reverse has been abused and 1st may have just slightly worn synchro but now I'm starting to think its more likely the clutch not disengaging fully.

What do you guys think?

Is there any known issues with the gearbox or are they generally quite bombproof? (I didnt spot any recurring gearbox threads in previous threads)

Thanks
Ed

nice one! cheers guys! Ill have a look at doing that then before forking out for a clutch.....

my clutch on my 1.8T went about a month ago.. the reverse gear crunched and so did 1st.. eventually the pressure in the clutch pedal also became so light, where it did not bite until it was about an inch away from the floor.... Looked at the slave cyclinder, wasnt that. Ended up changing the clutch. Problem has reared its head again... the problem is the flywheel...
Worse case if you need to change it i reccommend either upgrading it or buy the flywheel from sudi main dealer, it comes with the clutch for £300 approx

bit of an issue - my selector (gearstick) is nothing like the one shown in the youtube video. I cant find a pin hole to lock the selector.

the selector shown in the video is a ball type while mine has cables shown and is on a pair of pivoting brackets

am i just not looking hard enough?

I lost 6th when the nut came loose on my gear selector and jumped a spline easy fix.

right then - now my centre console is removed completely....

it looks like I have an 02K transmission(?) since there is no ball joint or method of locking it off - looks like linkage adjustment isnt so easy anymore!

does anyone have a method for doing it on this car?

after asking mr haynes it states that for the 'other' type of linkage there is a special dealer jig for holding the gearstick in the correct position (while the other simply has a pin) while reseting the cable length. I got grumpy, gave up and ordered a k&n kit. Retail therapy - man style

If this fails then I wouldn't rule out checking your gearbox oil level and doing a change to see if it helps.