DSG gears going up fast ?

spiider

Reaction score
Got my A3 3.2 DSG this morning and very pleased so far.... noticed one thing that is a bit strange is that the gear are going up very fast and I always end up in 6th gear even at low speeds (50-80Km/h)... is that the normal behaviour of DSG ?

that is the same as mine. If you accelerate harder it will hold the gears longer

get used to it....

if you were in semi auto.. you would be in second allllllll the time...

in auto your in 6ths..

so fuel economy is good in auto and bad in semi...

have fun anyways.... merry xmas im bladdered.

will try to get used to it... also one thing I have noticed is that gear are going up fast but not going down as fast... I almost need to be stopped for the gear to come down :)

I guess this is all normal right ?

Wow, glad I ordered the 6 speed manual....

My car is not the 3.2 but the 2.0 TDI and I have the full choice of options with the DSG gearbox. If I want it to change up quite quickly and conserve fuel I can choose D. If I want a more sporty approach, with the gearbox not changing up until maximum revs in each gear I can choose S. If I want full manual control I can choose tiptronic using either the centre stick or the steering wheel padles. In all cases without having to use the clutch or hold the clutch down whilst in trafic queues. The best of all worlds....

Yak

Why should I need to use the clutch. I have driven a car with a clutch 40 years and since having the DSG I have not missed it once !

Dave, maybe you don't, but still saying it's best from both worlds isn't what I'd say. Unless you mean efficiency of manual with automatic's luxury. Then you would be right. But DSG isn't in anyway a manual gearbox, since it doesn't have a clutch, and such doesn't bring the best of manual world, the sheer fun of driving.

- Yak

The DSG gearbox is basically a manual gearbox with 2 built in electronically controlled clutches. The inside consists of normal gears, synchromesh and gear moving forks etc. The difference is that all the gear changes are made using electronic signals and hydraulic power and two gears are engaged at once, the one being used and the next one that will be required. Disengagement of one clutch and engagement of the other effects a gear change in a split second.

It has none of the efficiency losses associated with a normal automatic gearbox. A car fitted with a DSG is just as fuel efficient as a manual. A normal automatic is not.

The DSG is only available on the transverse engine at the moment, mainly because it was actually developed by VW who use far more transverse engines than in-line engines. Both Audi and VW tend to make it available on their performance versions of each model. Hence it's available on the 2.0T and 3.2 version of the A3, the 3.2 V6 version of the TT and the 2.0T version of the new Golf GTI. Drivers of these types of cars generally like the ease and speed with which you can select gears with a DSG.

Several of my friends with both TTs and A3s, when asked what they like best about their particular car always say - the DSG gearbox.

Audi predict that the DSG will replace manual gearboxes within 10-15 years, something that an ordinary automatic with all its power and performance losses would never be able to achieve.

Perhaps in your country Yak, you do not have the same traffic jams and long queues that we have here in the UK. To drive in a long stop start queue on an ordinary road or on a motorway is so much easier when the DSG looks after the engagement and disengagement of the gears rather that your left leg having to do all the work. But once on the 'open' road the choice of gear by the driver is always available to you by using the tiptronic system.

In my personal opinion and the opinion of many others the DSG manages to combines all the advantages of a manual gearbox/clutch with all the ease of use associated with an automatic gearbox but with none of the automatics disadvantages. Hence my coment, the best of all worlds...

Regards