Is it really worth it? Changing bushes/suspension etc

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
OK, thus far the car has had brand new rear shocks and springs at the back. It has also had new front drop links. I am going down the OEM route.

However, the steering is sometimes vague which has been put down to knackered front wishbone bushes. So thinking about getting it booked in with Awesome GTI again to have standard parts put in. But also thought about getting new front springs (one has already snapped on me) and dampers (possible leak on one side).

I've also noticed since the rear springs/shocks have been fitted, there is a very tiny knock when I brake and come to a full stop, almost like a top mount noise.

Is it really worth me going through, replacing every bush on the suspension and front top mounts? Just looking at the costs, and having a very frank convo with a colleague who use to be in the trade, he thinks I am chasing problems... which is a very fair point. I am the world's worst customer (Dean @ Awesome, beware ;) )

Views, thoughts, etc?

mate just replace what needs replacing...... rear bushes on the rear alone total near £200 without fitting

im going to jack mine up when i can be bothered and have a fiddle about, see what moves with a good jig!! front wishbones will most likely be the issue your suffering and always recommended, just make sure they do all the bushes on the wishbone to save future removal

Yeah I know what you mean, Tim. The thought process was just to replace all and save on fitting. I don't want to pay out, then have other issues in the same area!

How many bushes are there buddy? There was an Etka Chart mentioned?

well i spoke with the guy who is gonna fit my new shocks and springs and ARBs and he said for the price of some OEM bushes and top mounts you may as well get it done whilst its in bits, and considering the old bushes have done 72 thousand pot holey miles then i dont disagree. What happens if you dont get it changed and you have new shocks and springs but still vague steering? You'll be ****** off with your self for not getting it done all at once with only one labour bill.

On the front there are the top mounts and two bushes on the wishbones each side.

btw were missing your nice clean car sig pics :)

See that's where I'm coming from buddy. I knew when I bought the car that the suspension was on 65k. From reading threads on here, 72k seems to be the agreed time for suspension parts failing, and I've so far had two knackered rear springs, two rear dampers and one front spring. So it's telling me those need replacing. But wondered whether it was therefore worth doing all suspension bushes!

Been done lad, were done at the same time as the rear stuff as they were knocking. I could hear them but not feel anything. The front bushes I can feel, but not hear!

I am buddy because it doesn't used. It's reliable and fun for the moment. If and when I move to London, I'll sell it. It's done 13 miles in four weeks!

I had a really annoying knock from the front which I was told was the drop links, then the ARB bushes, then the lower arm bushes.........turned out to be the little bearing in the top mount. Just goes to show you could go around changing all the wrong bits for nothing!

if i ever move and cant take the car with me it'll stay in the garage at my parents place :) love it too much

well benefit of changing all is that you only pay for tracking once....£50 a time ;)

Exactly buddy, I might as well save up, but just wondered if there were bushes that really don't get worn enough to bother replacing...

Presume this shows all that could be replaced?

imgres
s3mk1schem_LRG.jpg

heres the price list i got from stoke Audi for my rears mate

1 - bush? £17.35 each
4 - bush? £9.73 each
5 - bush? £16.67 each
18 Drop links £17.77 each
7 - main arms (with bushes integrated?) £79.80 each

2 of each needed and i didnt get the ind price for the top arm bushes..... the number relates to an etka chart that i only have on email/pdf

cos they are connected to the....back bone....the back bones connected to the.......thigh bown!!!

Lol Tim.

You can feel a slight knock and if I turn the wheel lock to lock at the end of the turn I feel a slight knock.

God knows, my last car had the same but never did anything about it. Would be nice to just leave it with JBS/Awesome and find out what's going on.

I replaced all of the bushes, but the wishbone, on the front of my S3 a couple of years ago while doing the ARBs (was about 80k at the time) - made a huge difference to the way it felt. Much tighter/newer feel.

Also had my front bushes (wishbones & ARB drop links) replaced with Powerflex equivalents a year ago when I bought my S3 (2003, 65k at the time); drives much better now. Top mounts need doing next (time, money, energy...).

Im also working through my bushes...... Next on the list is wishbone bushes for me.

Have you thought the knock could be the rack JD?

wonder what it costs for a pressing machine - thats whats been going through my mind lately, im having to pay for far too many jobs i could do myself

I did all the front bushes on mine last month plus the top mounts etc.

Certainly drives better, only cost me parts though as I did everything except push the new bushes in myself, when I got a price from a garage it wasn't going to be cheap !

Yeah that's the issue. Think I will do it bit by bit. The car does so little miles! JBS and Awesome are quoting me for front bushes at the moment, so will see what they come back with!

Ideally you need a fly press around £300-£500 second hand... or a big vice

with the latter option, is it hard to get the alignment wrong? im guessing the first option will be pnuematic or hydraulic in some way shape or form

Yeah that's the issue. Think I will do it bit by bit. The car does so little miles! JBS and Awesome are quoting me for front bushes at the moment, so will see what they come back with!

keep us posted mate, if its cheap enough i'll be nipping to JBS as im due an alignment anyway

Similar issue as jd, steering pulls to the left or right when steering wheel is straight.
Alignment - checked, no apparant issue
balancing and fresh Tyres - done

Any ideas?

with the latter option, is it hard to get the alignment wrong? im guessing the first option will be pnuematic or hydraulic in some way shape or form

keep us posted mate, if its cheap enough i'll be nipping to JBS as im due an alignment anyway

Just spoken to Awesome again, awaiting an email (not sure how frequently they come in this subforum, but Dean is brilliant!).

can you pm me the plices when you get em both in mate......

we having a guess? £450 :)

I was getting quoted over £200 to just change the front wishbone bushes from an independent.

Can't see Awesome being cheap tbh !

Not sure if either company would have a problem with me posting prices, but I'm not going to in here, just in case. Ian, Tim, Pms en route.

PM's sent lad. When you say whole lot Tim, what do you mean? Bushes all round or suspension all round?

yes mate, sorry sent last message via phone so not very clear.......... meant all round bushes to sort it in one go, bonus is only paying for one alignment which nigh on £50 @JBS (ive had 2 already!!)

On that Diagram ^^ I've replaced ALL bar one, rear trailing arm (4). Mines is sometimes too stiff, especially when you have a headache, but one thing it does feel is extremely planted, I've no concerns giving it full boost on the apex of a corner. Mind you, I'm not using standard parts. Hows the car feel with OEM new parts?

G

The rear feels totally different lad, the new shocks and springs are obviously doing their job correctly, which is great.

I'm still waiting a few quotes, including a job lot from Awesome GTI, but both companies are coming back roughly the same amount.

I think Tim's thinking of "the whole hog" is totally spot on, i.e. one lot of GEO setup. So I just need to find out how much all front bushes fitted will cost me.

In short, the answer is yes!!!!

Had the front suspension arms replaced yesterday as it meant the bushes and ball joints were replaced. Big difference! Still not perfect, but 75% better!

Next stop, front springs, shocks and top mounts and rear drop links!