Cracked AMK cylinder head

The inlet manifold (with no boost to help) produces a slight vacuum as the engine sucks the air in.

Turbo no boosty.

Have you had a look at the turbo outlet pipe, one going to the charge pipe. Could be lose.

Get it on vag com, maybe obvious then if a code comes up.

Nathan

Came home for my dinner and had another play to see what's going on.

The turbine is getting stuck. I removed the tip, started the car and it wasn't spinning so turned the car off, turned it with my fingers but i did notice a sound like there was something loose in there. Once it was spinning by hand i started it up and it was spinning, no funny noises whilst it was spinning.

Once i put the tip back on it stopped again, took it off, stuck again, released it with my finger again, started it up, spinning fine again. Turned the car off, started it again, still spinning. At this point i got happy!

Anyway put the tip back on, went for a drive, no boost, got home had a look at the turbine, stuck again!

It does sound like there is something loose inside when i release it. Welly you could be right, foreign object, possibly the ring to the finger you found lol :)

Dave - i got the dyson on it lol didn't manage to get anything out though

Bill - What'S FOD? :) I had another go at it when i got home, took the charge pipe off and the tip, loosened up the manifold bolts and re tightened them in a diferent sequence, put everything back together, struggled to start at first and the turbine was sticking again, after a few goes it managed to spin whilst on idle. Put the tip back on, went for a drive, i now have boost!!!
Plenty of oil there, there's some near the turbine all the time, they also put 5litres in when they did the oil change which made me worry

I'll find out in the morning if it's stuck again, hope not!

I would be scared if my turbo was sticking from time to time... incase , as you have , managed to free it off only for it to seaze when the car is at around 5k revs... meaning a loud bang and bits of steel everywhere

I would be scared if my turbo was sticking from time to time... incase , as you have , managed to free it off only for it to seaze when the car is at around 5k revs... meaning a loud bang and bits of steel everywhere

I know what you mean Paul, i've free'd it up today but if it's stuck again tomorrow, i'll be leaving it alone and getting it sorted. When i took it for a drive i barely went over 3.5k lol I'm scared of that bang too

i cant remember the ratio of the speed of the engine compaired to the turbine shaft but its scary

The housing on the hot side also has a slight crack, Paul (tuffty) did mention that the crack could have possibly got lower down, spoke to CR Turbo's today and they siaid the same so i think i'll be changing the turbo soon

To be honest at the price Bill can get a hybrid for... i wouldnt even think of a stock item.

To be honest at the price Bill can get a hybrid for... i wouldnt even think of a stock item.

It's the cost of all the other bits i need along with the hybrid Paul > rods, injectors, fuel pump, fmic and finally the map + other things that may need changing along the way lol

all depends on if you have plans down the line... for more..
hybrid alone is not much more than a repaired/reconned k04...

run it at lower levels until you can afford to do the other work, (IF) you have aspirations of wanting higher power.

its all £ tho I know..
just an option

all depends on if you have plans down the line... for more..
hybrid alone is not much more than a repaired/reconned k04...

run it at lower levels until you can afford to do the other work, (IF) you have aspirations of wanting higher power.

its all £ tho I know..
just an option

You make a lot of sense Bill, can i go hybrid and still run it on the map i have?

I hardly ever push the car, the odd straight line burst here and there and that's about it for me lol

your car is std yea?
you may need to add an mbc if the hybrid overboosts (diferent actuator pressures to stock), and if kept on std levels then yea, it will work ok

your car is std yea?
you may need to add an mbc if the hybrid overboosts (diferent actuator pressures to stock), and if kept on std levels then yea, it will work ok

I'm not sure if it's mapped or not Bill, i got 187g/s with a 3 ports cracked on the cylinder head, would that effect the maf readings?

I've been out for a run in it tonight and it's boosting, didn't push it though, would you recommend unpluging the N75 for the time being?

Maybe im a worry wart... but i would not drive the car at all if possible.
I would view your turbo as a ticking time bomb.