snapped dipstick tube, could damage have been caused?

kelk11

Reaction score
on the motorway earlier the oil min light flashed up on the dis. got home to check the level of the oil to find the dipstick casing snapped clean across. i presume this is where the oil has disappeared to as its broken near the bottom? is it drivable as in to the garage?
could any damage of been caused by any crap getting into the system through the broken pipe?

thanks

No, you should be OK - this happens on a regular basis, including to me.

Keep an eye on the oil levels after new dipstick installation, and on removal of the broken one, have a visual check around and inside the stub that it fits on to just to be safe.

you regularly run it low on oil welly??

broken tube can lead to bits of plastic being dropped into the sump which end up in the oil pump pick up

also it let un metered air into the turbot

all in all not good

Not what i meant dude. I meant the dipstick snapping issue happens regularly! I go to great lengths to NEVER run her low on oil. Sadly, things like dipquick snappage are just unfortunate and symptoms of age.

yup same as above....just make sure that the inside collar is not stilll suck in the metal tube otherwise the new one wont fit properly

Not what i meant dude. I meant the dipstick snapping issue happens regularly! I go to great lengths to NEVER run her low on oil. Sadly, things like dipquick snappage are just unfortunate and symptoms of age.

i know you like danger but running low on oil is like peeing on fences to find out if theyre electric ones or not

i know you like danger but running low on oil is like peeing on fences to find out if theyre electric ones or not

Oooooooh, just the thought of that hurts....

Another one is sticking your finger into plug sockets to see if they're live or not....

Due to remove my PCV system and install an oil catch can. Want to replace the dipstick holder at the same time. There are various part numbers. Anyone know the correct one for a BAM S3?

you regularly run it low on oil welly??

broken tube can lead to bits of plastic being dropped into the sump which end up in the oil pump pick up

also it let un metered air into the turbot

all in all not good
This is what's happened to mine, the plastic was so brittle it crumbled away like cheese. I am going to drop the sump soon.