Dipstick Tube

Sam_

Down under
Reaction score
I tried to replace my dipstick tube recently (the plastic section) and most of it came out but theres still a 5/6mm ring in there. I was very careful not to let any parts go down into the sump but I need to get this 5/6mm ring out, any ideas? Can the metal dipstick tube be removed from the block easily? I read on another forum that it can?

Use a pick would be my best advice mate, get a pick down the inside and then use it to pull it out.

Thanks Welly. Do you stuff something down the dipstick tube to stop bits dropping to the sump?

When you say pick, is that like a hooked screwdriver or something?

Thanks Welly. Do you stuff something down the dipstick tube to stop bits dropping to the sump?

When you say pick, is that like a hooked screwdriver or something?

Yeah, pretty much.... If you can get something down there to stop bits falling then do. Just make sure it is something you can get back out.

Cool, thanks again. I'll tie some cloth into a ball and plug it with that. Cheers

i'll get shot for this, but if a tiny amount does make it into the sum it will get mashed to nothing in seconds so not worth worrying about too much. metal is of course a different story.

Most of the bits of the old dipstick tube that fall down into the sump end up being collected in the oil strainer - adding to any other crap that it collects over the thousands of miles / many years of use - NOT GOOD :sob:

In hindsight, I would have stuffed a rag on the end of the tube before attempting to pull the damaged / worn tube out, limiting any bits falling in, unfortunately in my case, I ended up having to drop the sump and clean the strainer just for peace of mind - I'm glad I did as their was plenty accumulated in the strainer.

If you do end up dropping the sump, a new strainer is £15 from the stealers, I prefer to use the original sump sealant (£18 a tube?) but many others have had success with cheaper alternatives.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't get anything down there the first time and hoping to keep it that way.

So I take it it's not easy to remove the metal tube from the sump?