What do I need to see the figure I want...?

benjy88

Reaction score
Hi lads (n possibly ladies, maybe... )

Haven't had the car long, will post up some pickachers if I get time. I know it's probably been asked a million and one times before.. But basically, I want to try and see 270hp out of my pre-facelift S3.

I suspect a decent map would nearly see that, but it's a heck of a lot of moolan taking it to MRC or the like. I have to do this on the quiet, as I'm saving for a wedding - and I have promised my mrs that this time I absolutely will NOT be spending any money on this car........

Anyway, that being said - I want to see 270hp. What are my options? The car's already on coilies so suspension is sorted... just need brakes and power upgrades next of all...

B.

a stage 1 map, and a Badger5 V2 tip, MIGHT see you 270hp, dependant on the condition of the car, the rollers its on, and how lucky you are.
it has been done before tho on a dyno known to be accurate and consistent.

the two above things are easily the biggest bang for buck, go for it! good luck with the mrs

Welcome,

You need a full exhaust
Turbo inlet pipe, helps hold boost
Forge 007 with yellow spring
And a stage 2 remap.

Speak to tuffty, prawn or westy for some advice :) Oh and welly and warren_ s3. They are the fast boys. Lol. :)

Map, badger5 tip but presume you don't want any noise if the misses is a bit clued up so pending that situation jetex or airbox with panel filter followed by 3" downpipe and decat/sports cat should see you into and probably over that figure but also worth considering is an intercooler to give you a bit more go but more to try and retain the power you do have :)

As saving for a wedding all of the above can probably be done for just over £1000 if your carefull and go for tried and tested gear but if on a budget i would sugest xs power downpipe through sam bryant, the welly/ebay cooler which documented in the FAQ's and the TIP from the tuner Bill @ Badger5 and of coarse a map of choice

Hope this helps ;)

Speak to tuffty, prawn or westy for some advice :) Oh and welly and warren_ s3. They are the fast boys. Lol. :)

Thanks sandra. Do I not make the fast club? :)

You'll Struggle to make 274 on standard with custom map. 258 will probably be max.

Its about airflow. To make 274 you probably need fmic and downpipe at least with decent air filter / jetex and a custom tip (badger 5 can sort on here). Much will depend on the condition of your k04.

Personally, map and b5 tip will be your best and most cost effective mods to reach it. Then it gets expensive.

Xs power mani is great mod and will also help and there are many many others. When going for even more power you'll need to consider clutch, rods, mounts etc...mine a pre facelift too and dependant on the miles/wear, one more will lead to another.

Westy's build thread is worth a read. You'll pick up a lot of useful info.

Map, badger5 tip but presume you don't want any noise if the misses is a bit clued up so pending that situation jetex or airbox with panel filter followed by 3" downpipe and decat/sports cat should see you into and probably over that figure but also worth considering is an intercooler to give you a bit more go but more to try and retain the power you do have :)

As saving for a wedding all of the above can probably be done for just over £1000 if your carefull and go for tried and tested gear but if on a budget i would sugest xs power downpipe through sam bryant, the welly/ebay cooler which documented in the FAQ's and the TIP from the tuner Bill @ Badger5 and of coarse a map of choice

Hope this helps ;)

Classic. In terms of content, i just typed an almost identical post!

Lol, sorry jim, consider yourself. Member of the fast boys club. Just too many to remember while i watch my bluray. :)

What about meeee I'm in the 300+ club lol ;)

Jim I wrote that post when there wasn't any others and by the time slow typing me had finished a few others had also mirrored things I was about to write, nature of forums at times it's a keyboard race lol

Stacey... You feel my plight. Thank you all, cracking advice. Just a shame it's so expensive - It's not just the noise that's the problem, she's pretty clued up now (the perks/disadvantages of living with someone who works/breathes cars) It's the money-side too... she'll know. Even if I save up tiny little bits and pieces... she'll ****** know.

But debating it - if I'm patient and immensely watchful, I could probably find a fewbits and bobs second hand... How readily do Badger5 tips come up do you lot reckon?

Stacey... You feel my plight. Thank you all, cracking advice. Just a shame it's so expensive - It's not just the noise that's the problem, she's pretty clued up now (the perks/disadvantages of living with someone who works/breathes cars) It's the money-side too... she'll know. Even if I save up tiny little bits and pieces... she'll ****** know.

But debating it - if I'm patient and immensely watchful, I could probably find a fewbits and bobs second hand... How readily do Badger5 tips come up do you lot reckon?

Gold and dust come to mind. Just contact bill (badger 5) and he'll quote you.

Inexpensive and great mod.

Map and take your time.

they come up VERY rarely. its the most talked about mod this/last year. its a shame because a fella on here just had one for sale but its gone.
keep your eye on the classifieds though

May have just made a sneaky find on that front... Still £115, but equally they seem to go for a lot more lol...

Quick question too - The car has an a/m filter on it - making a vacuum hose redundant, and it's affecting my idle. Any way of dealing with that?

I know the feeling with a wary misses as mine wasn't that wary but i feel in my idiocy I've educated her to much as she notices differences in the car now and would certinally notice the difference between an open cone filter to an air box lol

And no problems mate it's good to try and help out and 90% of people on here are exactly the same way inclined hope all gos well ;)

May have just made a sneaky find on that front... Still £115, but equally they seem to go for a lot more lol...

Quick question too - The car has an a/m filter on it - making a vacuum hose redundant, and it's affecting my idle. Any way of dealing with that?
very good price for a B5 tip.

on that second bit im not quite sure what you mean or are reffering to

The infamous and slightly noisy redundant hose....

IMG-20120314-00287.jpg

Thanks very much man! Just ordered a small cone filter for it. Cheers!

By the way - don't know whether this is something anyone can answer as well... when I go over 80-90mph... I hear a deep rhythmic thrumming noise... doesn't speed up or slow down with speed, just seems to occur beyond 80mph. Is that normal or something I should really have checked out?

Ta fellas!

On a budget you can probably get away without the intercooler.

Ok it'll heatsoak if your giving it large for a sustained period of time, but TBH, that rarely happens on the road anyway, and its a significant saving.

I'd sort the 3" downpipe and a sportcat, again you'll probably get away with leaving the rest of the exhaust standard, and B5 TIP, then have it mapped by someone who can do you a custom job (Badger5, Rick at Unicorn or Nick at Rtech are good options depending on your geographic location), and you should be more or less where you want to be.

Mods like cone filters, Forge dump valves etc are all "nice" but they dont really give you big bang for buck, and as such they're the last thing you want to be doing when your on a budget.

Stick to the stock airfilter, fit a new 710N DV, and the mods above.

Well, there's already a forge 007 and a cone filter on it already... So I think I'll do as you suggest - badge5 tip, downpipe/cat and a map. Should be relatively quiet noise-wise and hopefully should take me past 250bhp, which is really a decent sort of improvement from the original 210.

Hopefully I might get some sort of tax rebate very soon to put all of this into motion. Need to sort out a couple of wear 'n' tear issues underneath too before I start on the upgrades. Namely, wanna know the cause of this strange thrumming sound. lol